turkaholic

Long Island shark attack

Rate this topic

194 posts in this topic

On 7/7/2022 at 9:56 AM, CWitek said:

Mostly South Shore.  Don't recall hearing of any caught in the Soiund, but I suspect that there have been one or two.

Was a video a few years ago of a brown being caught off the beach just west of the north fork, I think it may have been one of John Skinners. 

Posted (edited)

Somebody posted that dead beached Great White, Thought I read a second Juvi washed up just a few miles away as well. Also saw video of a Juvi GW feeding on a bunker school right off an east end beach. Bit of a difference if a Great White decides to take a test bite than some of those coastals. Not much you can do about either I guess although you won't catch me swimming early or later in day. 

Edited by brushfly

1 hour ago, brushfly said:

Was a video a few years ago of a brown being caught off the beach just west of the north fork, I think it may have been one of John Skinners. 

It was Skinner.

When I was a kid--we're talking late '60s--there were quite a few browns as far west as Greenwich.  I remember seeing them caught--and unsuccessfully trying to catch one myself--in the summer oif '68.

43 mins ago, brushfly said:

Somebody posted that dead beached Great White, Thought I read a second Juvi washed up just a few miles away as well. Also saw video of a Juvi GW feeding on a bunker school right off an east end beach. Bit of a difference if a Great White decides to take a test bite than some of those coastals. Not much you can do about either I guess although you won't catch me swimming early or later in day. 

Quite a few little whites out there.  I had one in my slick off Fire Island about a week ago; it took a couple of baits, but missed the hook both times.

Posted (edited)

3 mins ago, CWitek said:

It was Skinner.

When I was a kid--we're talking late '60s--there were quite a few browns as far west as Greenwich.  I remember seeing them caught--and unsuccessfully trying to catch one myself--in the summer oif '68.

Same here across in Huntington. Pictures from the 60's of a baymen getting two decent sized sand tigers in nets inside Duck Island Harbor, inside Huntington Bay. The old "Nursery" chat comes up now and then as well as a talk of a fin once in a while but with a pretty good network of commercials, for hires and recs in the area I haven't confirmed anything. 

Edited by brushfly

3 mins ago, brushfly said:

Same here across in Huntington. Pictures from the 60's of a baymen getting two decent sized sand tigers in nets inside Duck Island Harbor, inside Huntington Bay. The old "Nursery" chat comes up now and then as well as a talk of a fin once in a while but with a pretty good network of commercials, for hires and recs in the area I haven't confirmed anything. 

I can't recall what book it was in, but somewhere I recall a writer quoting reports from someone sailing a catboat along the North Shore, particularly mentioning Huntington Harbor, sometime around 1900.  The water was apparently clearer than, and the person in the catboat reported seeing multiple large sharks on the sandbars and in the shallows of Huntington Bay.  Sounded like sandbars, probably in a nursery area, because the fish I remember were big females; the marine police boarded two anglers' boats one morning, shot the hooked fish with their .38s, and hung them up at the police boat dock.  They were honest 7-footers, which means almost certainly adult females.

Hard to imagine how vital our waters musht have been back in the late 1800s/early 1900s.

Posted (edited)

Like when I recall the Montauk Pioneer having an article about a 20' GW in Lake Montauk in the mid 80's which of course turned out to be a wayward basking shark.....Somehow it avoided being turned into "Monster Mash" by the one and only who I once witnessed butchering one dockside. Then putting slabs into 2 and 5 gallon buckets for sale, labeled GRADE A MONSTER mash by hand with a black sharpie.

Edited by brushfly

Today's NY Post article "State conservation bill from ‘19 could be to blame for increased shark presence" discusses that the conservation of menhaden increased the shark population. It does note that many species really upon menhaden but does not discuss the dramatic historical effect of what the decimation of bunker did previously. It comes off as a "blame the government" you can't go swimming article.

The dead GW juvenile washed out to sea, but was recovered, and was to be sent for a necropsy. Any report of the findings just yet?

Sharks in the water, you go into the water..... :laugh:

Look familiar....  :laugh:

On 7/21/2022 at 11:29 AM, CWitek said:

And I really have no idea on the lower mid-Atlantic.  Never fished there, never heard much, other than that it's currently neither overfished nor experiencing overfishing.  Which has to be better than it was in the recent past.

From my experiences the tog fishery is pretty good down in MD and DE. If you go out with some crabs or sand fleas on a jetty it's hard not to catch at least 3-5 tog (depending on the season of course). Most that I catch from shore are around 13-15", with a keeper (16") every 3-6 fish and sometimes you catch a rarer 18-20"+. Never fished on the wrecks but I see people doing pretty good based on the fishing reports. With the amount of tog I catch I'd say they're doing alright down there.

On 7/22/2022 at 10:22 AM, brushfly said:

you won't catch me swimming early or later in day. 

Bingo.. Me neither

Haven’t fished much last two weeks, too hot for me now. Went today for a couple hours, lots of Cow Nose out there today. Just another thing for the sharks to eat!

Past years have hooked many sharks (not landed) when the rays are around.