fishstu

Long Island, NY wade fishing

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am staying on Cranberry Hole Rd in Amagansett , north shore, Long island - first week of august thru 1st week of September. The beach there is pretty shallow and warm this time of year. I would like to find some wading spots to fly fish - could be north or south shore with parking.   

Also - is it worth bringing a kayak 

Thanks

Edited by fishstu
added info

August thru early September is consider the summer doldrums season for surfcasters and wading fly rodders. Night tides are best , avoiding beach and boat traffic. Last of incoming tide thru first half of drop will bring some cooler ocean water in and up your chances. Amagansett puts you in easy reach of Montauk or Shinnecock beaches, all good prospects.

Take a short ride out to Montauk point, park at camp hero and walk west, picking the perimeters of all the points.  Incoming tide an small white deceivers will get you plenty of schoolie fish in and around the rocky points. 

Any ocean beach between Amagansett and Montauk Point has potential. On sandy beaches find the soft structure  and fish the cuts in the sandbars, holes, and trough between sandbar and beach lip. Its rockier near Montauk Point so less soft structure oriented.

Could have early fall blitzes on rainbait at Montauk, north or south side of the point. Just get out there, early and late low light conditions best.

There's public parking at Montauk Point State Park, and Hither Hills State Park, also in the town of Montauk where you can fish the town beach, although Mtk town beach will be full of beachgoers during daylight hours in your Aug-Sept time period.

Amagansett Beach house timing has got better - now we can stay Aug 15 - thru complete September !

I would also like to try wadable sand shoals for fluke.

Thanks for the info guys 

Edited by DaveC
Keep it general, please

Through the end of September gets you into the heart of the fall run.

There should be blitzing stripers at Montauk Point by mid-September. Could be on the North Side or the South Side on any given day. If you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle get a NYS Park 4 wheel drive beach driving pass (can purchase at Montauk Downs State Park golf course), and maybe the Camp Hero pass. These passes will allow you to quickly get closer to fishing spots on the North side and the South side of Montauk Point. Unless you like to walk long distances in your waders. At Montauk in the fall the game is often just waiting on the beach for a blitz to break out.

Practice your double haul. The wind is often blowing on the ocean beaches in the fall. If you can get your fly out 50+ feet in the wind you'll have a good chance of hooking up.

Edited by DaveC
Too specific

Thanks for the info on the 4 wheel drive permits, I have a 4 wheel tundra - now I might concentrate more on fishing the  Montauk area the the last 2 weeks of September.    

September should bring the albies in Montauk.  Not sure if they blitz the beach but we do really well in the boat.  Small epoxy flies in white, tan and pink should do the trick with a double hand fast retrieve.  If you want to get off the beach try one of the fly boat charters, its a blast

If Shagwon is part of your plan a 4x4 permit is needed there also. Nice beach for the fly rod. Bass, blues and some nice fluke in that time frame. Permit is Suffolk County and can be purchased at the office . I believe it’s a $100.00.