mr. mr

Spooks in Cross Current

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Seems like there have been a lot of spook questions floating around on SOL lately. ‘Tis the season, I guess? I’m adding this one:

Does anyone have a go-to spook for fishing a moderate/fast cross current? Ideally looking for recommendations in the 4-6” range.

I have been using spooks in an area with cross current and a few seams/current breaks throughout the retrieve. I’m catching plenty on my go-to small spook (Shimano Coltsniper Walk—deadly bait), but the action gets all screwed up at certain points when the lure and the few feet of line ahead of it get into water moving at different speeds. This is light rod territory, so breaking out an 11 footer to keep the line up is not an option. 

I’m not sure if I need something that sits more horizontal on the pause and would be easier to get moving on the twitch, or if I need something with more tail weight that drags a little bit more and pulls the line tighter on each twitch. Any input is appreciated. Thanks :th:

Edited by mr. mr

Many of the videos seen are filmed from a boat. The angle drastically changes when in waders. Walking the dog is much easier when fishing a boats bow.                     Another factor that passes most buy is elasticity of the line. The rubber band effect of mono greatly enhances the dance of popper type lures. Braid causes them to slide rather than zig zag. 

On 7/4/2022 at 0:27 AM, mr. mr said:

Seems like there have been a lot of spook questions floating around on SOL lately. ‘Tis the season, I guess? I’m adding this one:

Does anyone have a go-to spook for fishing a moderate/fast cross current? Ideally looking for recommendations in the 4-6” range.

I have been using spooks in an area with cross current and a few seams/current breaks throughout the retrieve. I’m catching plenty on my go-to small spook (Shimano Coltsniper Walk—deadly bait), but the action gets all screwed up at certain points when the lure and the few feet of line ahead of it get into water moving at different speeds. This is light rod territory, so breaking out an 11 footer to keep the line up is not an option. 

I’m not sure if I need something that sits more horizontal on the pause and would be easier to get moving on the twitch, or if I need something with more tail weight that drags a little bit more and pulls the line tighter on each twitch. Any input is appreciated. Thanks :th:

Something I do that works for me is a “double twitch” where you keep the same cadence but (with rod tip a little higher than usual) each real twitch/sweep has a shorter, sharper twitch before it that pulls the belly out of the line. If you can see the line well and the first twitch happens at the right angle relative to the way the line is being swept in the current, the plugs doesn’t make a very big motion from the “pre-twitch” but the second twitch/sweep makes the plug move as it should. Man that’s hard to explain.

Instead of sweep - - - sweep - - - sweep it’s pop-sweep - - pop-sweep - - pop-sweep where the pop is a mini-roll cast with the line. 

Of course at a certain point if the current is really ripping in one area you just need to go pencil popper mode with the spook until you are back into calm water

Fish a high speed conventional.....All ya gotta do is do abrupt half rotations of the handle and any spook will walk....

Small fw spooks you can fish one handed by slapping the drag star while palming the reel.

On 7/7/2022 at 7:03 AM, scoobydoo said:

Fish a high speed conventional.....All ya gotta do is do abrupt half rotations of the handle and any spook will walk....

Small fw spooks you can fish one handed by slapping the drag star while palming the reel.

I don't know if I'm a special case but my spooks walk with the half rotations on boht HG and PG spinning reels. I don't do that b/c it's annoying. But I have tried it so if I ever take someone fishing who can't learn how to work one they can always try that. 

On 7/9/2022 at 8:22 PM, TopStriperAngler said:

I don't know if I'm a special case but my spooks walk with the half rotations on boht HG and PG spinning reels. I don't do that b/c it's annoying. But I have tried it so if I ever take someone fishing who can't learn how to work one they can always try that. 

do it with a conventional, then try to tell me it's relatable.

Start stop with spinning reels is nothing like a conventional/baitcaster.

No mass in the spool compared to a spinning reels rotor.

Very different.

That is all

3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Very different.

That is all

Is it a lot harder on a conventional? I only do spinning reel. I understand what you talking about mass in spinning reel and having to stop it. I do it in 180 degree per turn("abrupt rotations" like u say) to get the right amount of line pickup but also being able to stop reel. But like I say this just a thing to get someone to be able to work a spook if they can't learn the normal way. 

Edited by TopStriperAngler

On 7/7/2022 at 7:03 AM, scoobydoo said:

23 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Very different.

That is all

This.  That is why you have to proficient in Spinning and Conventional (baitcaster) setups. 

As far as working a spook in cross current, I love my Slim XL for that, the angle your lure lands on the water is crucial for a starting point.   I assume you are working from shore.  If I am in the surf I am using a High Speed Saltiga and work the spook in a whipping motion ( if you follow me on Instagram check out a recent video I posted, you will see exactly what I am talking about)  If I am fishing off a boat or freshwater shore, I am using a baitcaster reel (300 size high speed- Tatula 300/Tranx 300)  and work the spook like Scooby mentioned, just turn the handle swiftly and it does all the action for you without the fatigue of doing it yourself.  

3 hours ago, norcalkat said:

This.  That is why you have to proficient in Spinning and Conventional (baitcaster) setups. 

As far as working a spook in cross current, I love my Slim XL for that, the angle your lure lands on the water is crucial for a starting point.   I assume you are working from shore.  If I am in the surf I am using a High Speed Saltiga and work the spook in a whipping motion ( if you follow me on Instagram check out a recent video I posted, you will see exactly what I am talking about)  If I am fishing off a boat or freshwater shore, I am using a baitcaster reel (300 size high speed- Tatula 300/Tranx 300)  and work the spook like Scooby mentioned, just turn the handle swiftly and it does all the action for you without the fatigue of doing it yourself.  

Come Saturday morning you may just have to show that to me in person. (Sorry for the interruption - now back to scheduled programming….)

9 hours ago, norcalkat said:

You can actually work spooks with a spin reel both high and low gear ones. But I don't think it's ideal. One problem is you get a lot less run out of plug. Having said that I been having some luck this year using a slider plug in the same way I would work a spook with only the reel. It does take a bit of time to get used to making such small movements on the handle though I will say that.

I actually really like using rod action to work any plug. To me its more fun than just reeling. 

But the good thing about just using reel is you stay as connected as possible to plug esp. if u hold rod tip down near water u know?

Yozuri Hydro Pencils are one of the easier spooks to operate.  Although I will say I'm still trying to figure out spooks in current as well.  Sometimes I get lazy and throw on a Whopper Plopper.  Easiest topwater lure in current.

AS lure gets down current you have to reel less b/c current takes out slack. Meantime, as lure comes from upcurrent, have to reel faster because current generates more slack in line than u normally would experieince. 

Meantime, as lure is across current it might not turn much upcurrent meanwhile turning quite a bit downcurrent, due to momentum of water. 

I don't know if only using reel action to move spook in current is going to be as successful just because the slack thing. 

On 7/12/2022 at 3:01 PM, TopStriperAngler said:

Is it a lot harder on a conventional? I only do spinning reel. I understand what you talking about mass in spinning reel and having to stop it. I do it in 180 degree per turn("abrupt rotations" like u say) to get the right amount of line pickup but also being able to stop reel. But like I say this just a thing to get someone to be able to work a spook if they can't learn the normal way. 

Far easier......I think as it as the normal way :)

I spend far more time on convnetionals than spinners....more intuitive....gives me something to focus on with every cast.  Forces me to pay attention :)