SallyGrowler

Topwater baitcast rod/reel recommendation?

27 posts in this topic

Not looking for budget item.

The old shimano won't cut it anymore.

Looking for good all day topwater outfit for peacocks and freshlocked snook.

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

What about a daiwa coastal? 

Thinking more along the lines of Lews or Daiwa Tatula. 

Type of fishing with be pinpoint casting to tight areas such as miami canals. I'll be pitching small topwater plugs like heddon tiny torpedos and occasional stick baits like zara spooks.

I don't need casting distance or saltwater attributes.

10 mins ago, hobobob said:

Do they still make short pistol grip rods? Somewhere in the 6ft range? 

Just left my father's.  He's got a bunch of them on the wall.

13 mins ago, hobobob said:

Do they still make short pistol grip rods? Somewhere in the 6ft range? 

I would probably stick with 7 foot range.

1 hour ago, SallyGrowler said:

Type of fishing with be pinpoint casting to tight areas such as miami canals. I'll be pitching small topwater plugs like heddon tiny torpedos and occasional stick baits like zara spooks.

2 mins ago, SallyGrowler said:

I would probably stick with 7 foot range.

Well, which is it? 

On 7/3/2022 at 9:29 PM, SallyGrowler said:

Not looking for budget item.

You can't go wrong with the USDM Zillion SV TW - brass gears, Daiwa's best SV spool to date - controlled but not overbraked. Ridiculously smooth and refined with a clicking drag.

I would recommend the new Expride 610M if you're throwing sub 3/4oz topwater - or the Poison Adrena 72M.  

12 hours ago, SallyGrowler said:

Believe the newer (all blue) Coastal has the SV spool so perfect for controlled/targeted casts. If that's the reel @R.R. Bridge Fisher meant then I have it ... versatile size in fresh and salt (100 body but 150 spool) and it's legit difficult to backlash unless you're just being silly.

29 mins ago, buddha162 said:

You can't go wrong with the USDM Zillion SV TW - brass gears, Daiwa's best SV spool to date - controlled but not overbraked. Ridiculously smooth and refined with a clicking drag.

I would recommend the new Expride 610M if you're throwing sub 3/4oz topwater - or the Poison Adrena 72M.  

Sorry if not on topic, but is the JDM Zillion SV TW different ?

10 mins ago, BG_NJ said:

Believe the newer (all blue) Coastal has the SV spool so perfect for controlled/targeted casts. If that's the reel @R.R. Bridge Fisher meant then I have it ... versatile size in fresh and salt (100 body but 150 spool) and it's legit difficult to backlash unless you're just being silly.

The Coastal SV is a blue Tatula SV with a couple of CRBBs - good for control/short casts/pitches/skips but not a distance caster by any means. 

The Zillion SV TW has that 2 stage spring and it works - easily the best distance in a SV spool yet still maintains good control at close-in work. 

7 mins ago, BG_NJ said:

Sorry if not on topic, but is the JDM Zillion SV TW different ?

JDM has alum gears and shorter handle. Great for freshwater, but enough reports of alum gears pitting/rusting for me to shy away from it for salt.

The exchange rate being what it is now...might even be cheaper to get the JDM version and pick up a brass gear set from tackle trap to drop in.  

1 hour ago, buddha162 said:

I don't fish peacock bass but would second the Shimano 72M (Adrena or Zodias) for throwing topwater up to the SB 125, Super Spook, and Rover 128.