Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

As I replenish my supply of bucktails, I was wondering if anyone finds particular brands to be more durable, or any brands that are less durable? Also, if you have any favorite types or brands, I would be interested to hear.  Most of my fishing is from shore for stripers or blues.

Thanks.

check out dan tinman in the commercial BST forum here. his bucktails are great. i particularly like his bullet head style with the forward placed line tie for fishing from shore. 

2 hours ago, klisagar said:

As I replenish my supply of bucktails, I was wondering if anyone finds particular brands to be more durable, or any brands that are less durable? Also, if you have any favorite types or brands, I would be interested to hear.  Most of my fishing is from shore for stripers or blues.

Thanks.

I like the bullethead type casting from shore. Below is a Dan the Tin Man, tin bucktail. The tin allows you a larger profile and slow sink in skinny water. Just another tool ; his lead head bucktails work equally as well.

dan2.JPG.c58ab5caad2dc60f36ffaefd422c7e19.JPG

.  I prefer using The Andrus Jetty Casters.  They come with a strong hook and are very castable.  Andrus also makes A Rib Splitter Bucktail.  They come with a smaller hook and are Opened Mouth that in My Opinion reduces your cast a bit.  I have a friend who will tell you that Having a taste for a particular type of bucktail is akin to having a taste for a particular type of woman..  I guess he is right.  Good Luck

sb.    .

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Stripedbass50lbs said:

.  I prefer using The Andrus Jetty Casters.  They come with a strong hook and are very castable.  Andrus also makes A Rib Splitter Bucktail.  They come with a smaller hook and are Opened Mouth that in My Opinion reduces your cast a bit.  I have a friend who will tell you that Having a taste for a particular type of bucktail is akin to having a taste for a particular type of woman..  I guess he is right.  Good Luck

sb.    .

Good bucktail, I used them for years, as well. The line tie sits slightly further back than Dan's. Still have a good supply

Never really used the smiling Bill. I was told they ride slightly higher in the same weight... :)

Edited by Lou T

Fishing from beach i prefer a forward eye bucktail with lots of hair……smiling bills and andrus jetty caster are 2 that fit the bill

18 hours ago, klisagar said:

Thanks.

IME Dan tinman's have been of exceptional quality and hold up better than any of the box store brands.  

Plus, he seems like good people.  

17 hours ago, surfstryker said:

check out dan tinman in the commercial BST forum here. his bucktails are great. i particularly like his bullet head style with the forward placed line tie for fishing from shore. 

^

I see that my post was late to the game.

20 hours ago, surfstryker said:

He told you the right thing ^^^^^

Dans or tie your own. I find a lot of the store brands just don’t seal the threads well enough. One bluefish and the threads start unraveling. Pretty silly for the price

Posted (edited) · Report post

I used to use S&S -  smiling bill style.    I got tired of seeing the price of them increase and the quality decrease and I'm talking about the hair not lasting long and/or most of the paint was coming off within a fishing trip or two while fishing almost exclusively sandy beaches.  In the winter months when fishing is over I do some metal detecting and I've found enough lead to service my bucktail need for years to come.  So using 2 molds that gets me from 3/4 to 3oz as I need them.  I will often do them different hair and saddle hackle combinations for different kinds of water and situations I might need them for.

My 4 year old daughter also had a hand in it - she drew me a fish and we made stickers with a fake website and all for the packaging as if we were going to sell them.  I like that she and I had something to do together during the off season. 

IMG_2953.jpeg

Edited by pressphotog

Use one that use to be called a Millie’s bucktail that is a white vertical head, like a dime on end. It wanders a little to me makes a difference. Always tip with strip. Use it often here.They are made by other companies today

On 7/3/2022 at 4:33 PM, surfstryker said:

What he said.