EricDice

Lightweight mid priced SW 5-6k spinners

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

What options are out there in the $180-$300 range that weigh 13 ounces or less, and sealed enough to get dunked on occasion. 

Ballistic LT I guess. The 5000 TP SW is 13.9 I think. Just curious. Thanks. 

The spheros 6k is around 15 ounces. That’s the lightest I’ve seen in a reel that size. The Saragosa 6k is 16 oz. I’m sure there are other reels that are lighter in that size range, but I wouldn’t really know. Maybe the shimano vanford? The 5k is only 8 ounces. It says it has x protect but I don’t know about dunking it. And I don’t think it’s as big as a normal 5k if I remember correctly. 

1 hour ago, TopStriperAngler said:

spheros swa 6k is 15.9oz. So pretty much same as the saragosa. 

Yep, this is what I have. It’s a fine weight, although I was hoping to explore lighter possibilities for the Fall. 

Right shoulder & ongoing neck issues. Not unmanageable just annoying 

35 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Physical therapy, a slower rod, and probably dial back the cast a little.

All the above minus the PT. (Legit no time and my special needs son’s tantrums just undo the progress anyway.)

Still, 3-5 ounces of weight savings could be helpful. Or maybe not.

This topic has been raised before so I thought others have already found the obvious options. 

On 7/3/2022 at 5:25 PM, EricDice said:

Yep, this is what I have. It’s a fine weight, although I was hoping to explore lighter possibilities for the Fall. 

Same issue. Annoying right shoulder and neck issue so extended 2-3 hours of casting artificials and I will feel it. Can't do a Spheros 5K with a heavy action St Croix TideMaster even though it's balanced pretty well. But the 2008 5K Stella SW PG(under 14 oz) with a 7ft light tip Cape Fear rod is perfect for 2-3 hours of casting but I often switch to a right retrieve Curado 200 to take the load off the right arm and shoulder.62c74920d7e8d_CapeFearStellaCombo.jpg.80c1c81d651a2165dbb305923d70645d.jpg

On 7/3/2022 at 5:25 PM, EricDice said:

drop downwards to a 3k size.  still fits rods up to 9' with smaller guides.

you can use thinner lines, allowing to use even lighter lures.

so its overall much lighter outfit altogether and less strain.

Heat pad while fishing and ice pack when done will go a long way. I suffer from same symptoms but can’t stop fishing. Plus drop down your reel size to maybe 4K or even 3k and invest in some lighter rods. With Enough patience and landing skills there is no reason to think you wouldn’t be able to land big fish. It’s not a tug of war after all.

century makes some nice light weight, powerful rods with a moderate action. takes less force to cast. I know you asked for reel options but don't overlook a rod that takes less effort to cast. as far as reels I heard Diawa makes a lightweight reel. 

To further elaborate.

If you can get a sub 150gram (finished weight) rod. And a sub 300gram 3k/4k size reel. 

Fishing with 10-15 braid. 

Throw 1/4 - 3/4oz stuff.

7-9ft rod 

Even with line and a 1/2 oz lure hanging off the tip, The package can be lighter then a 5k 6k reel.

Averaging 12-16oz total.

On 7/3/2022 at 3:08 PM, EricDice said:

Ballistic LT I guess. The 5000 TP SW is 13.9 I think. Just curious. Thanks. 

As a huge Daiwa fan, I can't recommend any of their magsealed spinners for sandy surf fishing. Too many have died on me and people I know in the past couple of years. It's a shame bc they feel more refined, have smoother drags than Shimano's offerings but w/e labyrinth design Shimano uses just plain works for light surf duty. I suspect magseal actually attracts metallic particulates suspended in the sandy wash - from Ballistics to Certates they start grinding after a season or two and I take meticulous care of my gear. 

Freshwater? Daiwa all day every day.    

I have a problem with rotation cup on my right shoulder; right wrist was fractured on Dec 23rd 2020 and still gives me a problem now and than;

I have a 75% ligament tear on the left; it is on the 2nd cortisone injection. Trying to avoid surgery but chances are slim.

Going to the PT 3x a week.

I use not expensive very light Okuma set-up

Rockaway 10', weights about 8.9 oz

RTX 40S, weights 8.2 oz

Most of my lures are in .5 to 1.5 oz

Fishing with 20lb braid.

It can last for about 2.5 hrs with no trouble; after that little bit of uncomfortable feeling.

Pain starts at around 3hrs mark. Time to go back and get some ice.

Posted (edited) · Report post

As has been said smaller reel and a lighter rod.  Look at some of the jpdm rockfish rods as well as the likes of the BH Suzuki II UL 9'6" 178g (lure:10g-57g) matched to  3000C Vanford 178g, Vanquish 175g or Exist 175g in price order.  IIRC, Low cost ValleyHill rockfish 9'8" run 10-30/40g  these combos "ready to fish"  can be lighter than many of the popular reels bare.

To play out EricL posted scenario .........

Suzuki II UL 9'6"+Vanford 3k+200M 15lb braid+1.5oz lure

356 gm / 12.55oz Total for the Suzuki II UL + Vanford 3k

Add 40gm/1.5oz lure + 200M 15lb braid wet 15gm/0.5oz = 55gm/1.94oz

Total ready to fish 411gm / 14.49oz

That's roughly 1.5oz lighter than a Gosa SWA 5k @15.9oz by itself.  

Edited by RiverShoulders

11 hours ago, Popasilov said:

I have a problem with rotation cup on my right shoulder; right wrist was fractured on Dec 23rd 2020 and still gives me a problem now and than;

I have a 75% ligament tear on the left; it is on the 2nd cortisone injection. Trying to avoid surgery but chances are slim.

Going to the PT 3x a week.

I use not expensive very light Okuma set-up

Rockaway 10', weights about 8.9 oz

RTX 40S, weights 8.2 oz

Most of my lures are in .5 to 1.5 oz

Fishing with 20lb braid.

It can last for about 2.5 hrs with no trouble; after that little bit of uncomfortable feeling.

Pain starts at around 3hrs mark. Time to go back and get some ice.

Shoulder & wrist? Ouch. 

Surgery on anything -barring an emergency - is not really an option given I’m the only one actually 100% capable of physically controlling my 100lbs autistic son. He’s only getting bigger so this is a big gamble that he outgrows the behaviors before his weight & my health hit a tipping point. 

(Not complaining just perspective for the conundrum I’m in.)

Fishing gets pushed back anyway but I definitely want it to be enjoyable when I’m out, and also not to exacerbate the nerve issues.