jjdbike

Why is chicken this chicken color?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Also this one.

I have no idea & it’s just a wild guess, but could they be bruises? It kind of looks like blood under or in the skin.

Is this safe to cook & eat?

Will it negatively impact the flavor?

Thanks in advance.

JD

D926B102-9DF2-471F-90D4-616A46263C7D.jpeg

Found this on the internet,

"The Chicken Has Changed Color

Frozen chicken has a nice pink color throughout, but if it’s expired then you’ll notice it start to turn a bit gray. Additionally, the fat on frozen chicken has a distinct white color as well. Both of these colors will change if the chicken is bad. Expired chicken has been known to sprout yellow patches on its fat and an overall gray undertone. If you notice these things then it’s no longer safe to eat and you should chuck the package in the garbage."

Mike, 

Thanks fur the information.

So should I toss the whole 48 pieces or just the two w/ discoloration?

I froze it the same day I got it (vacuum sealed).

I took it from the freezer Friday and let thaw in fridge. Some were still slightly frozen today when I toweled off to dry skin and let dry uncovered in fridge.

I suppose who knows how long they’ve been dead. 

I’m not anxious to buy another few dozen wings.

On the other hand, I certainly don’t want to serve bad chicken to guests.

I wonder if there’s any other indication if it’s bad. I’ve never seen chicken that color. I assumed it was a bruise. 
Damn…

If it feels sticky and/or stinks it’s likely bad.  2nd one is a bruise I think or more often broken bone.  You saw it going into the freezer so I’m sure it was fresh enough then.  I don’t know what’s up with the darkened skin but meat has an ok color.  Obviously easy for me to say but I’d use it. 

17 hours ago, Mike Mendez said:

Found this on the internet,

"The Chicken Has Changed Color

Frozen chicken has a nice pink color throughout, but if it’s expired then you’ll notice it start to turn a bit gray. Additionally, the fat on frozen chicken has a distinct white color as well. Both of these colors will change if the chicken is bad. Expired chicken has been known to sprout yellow patches on its fat and an overall gray undertone. If you notice these things then it’s no longer safe to eat and you should chuck the package in the garbage."

13 hours ago, JimW said:

If it feels sticky and/or stinks it’s likely bad.  2nd one is a bruise I think or more often broken bone.  You saw it going into the freezer so I’m sure it was fresh enough then.  I don’t know what’s up with the darkened skin but meat has an ok color.  Obviously easy for me to say but I’d use it. 

Thanks gentelmen,

I heard back from my chef bud. He's said, chefs develop a ken nose and go by that. He also said, IF in doubt, throw it out. 

I lost sleep last night thinking about all the things that could have possibly gone wrong and how awful it would be if someone got sick from food I served them. As much as I hate to waste food and can't really afford to toss and replace, it's all gone. Wings a sausage (all frozen and thawed at the same time.

Best regards.

JD

Late to the party, but that looks like bruising to me. The rest looks pink and fresh. 

The nose test is the way to go. Chicken that is going bad has a very distinct, gross smell. I agree, when in doubt, throw it out. 

On 7/4/2022 at 7:04 AM, jjdbike said:

Thanks gentelmen,

I heard back from my chef bud. He's said, chefs develop a ken nose and go by that. He also said, IF in doubt, throw it out. 

I lost sleep last night thinking about all the things that could have possibly gone wrong and how awful it would be if someone got sick from food I served them. As much as I hate to waste food and can't really afford to toss and replace, it's all gone. Wings a sausage (all frozen and thawed at the same time.

Best regards.

JD

Good Bluecrab bait. :beers:

I always smell it a few times and trust the nose first.   I also always go by if in doubt throw it out..  gray,slimey,fishy,porky or any other pungenty and its out.

I just made pigs feet and had two that made me go back 3x because of a different smell and they felt slimey even after washing..looked perfect though...in the garbage.

You think maybe they defrostred and refroze? Hows the rest of the freezer?

Thanks Baccigalup,

Prolly was fine. Didn’t want to chance it though. Gotta start training my nose.

I was afraid they may have partially thawed in cooler while traveling.

JD

On 7/8/2022 at 3:26 AM, jjdbike said:

Thanks Baccigalup,

Prolly was fine. Didn’t want to chance it though. Gotta start training my nose.

I was afraid they may have partially thawed in cooler while traveling.

JD

you can get sick from fresh meet if you do not cook to proper temperature to kill bacteria..

the blue is from broken bone,you can cook that it will be fine,

if you have problem how it look for presentation then take them out and cook sup from them it will be fine.

7 hours ago, vce12342000 said:

toss the discolored pieces. I was told they are from bruises before the chicken was processed. The freeze-thaw causes it to show up. 

That's interesting.

Makes me think I wasted that meat.

I've got to start paying. ore attention to smell.

JD