Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. July 4 - July 10

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

We finally found some nice fluke 20 - 25" today mid to lower bay, all in deep water. Nothing at the usual humps.

2 hours ago, afterhours said:

We finally found some nice fluke 20 - 25" today mid to lower bay, all in deep water. Nothing at the usual humps.

How deep? 70'?

2 trips on the yak, a mess of blues, short sea bass, and weirdly 2 good sized triggerfish.  not complaining since it's a lot of action, but echoing everyone else in having trouble finding fluke.

On 7/6/2022 at 8:56 PM, SurfMoon said:

Not fishing exactly, but while Surfing the other day off of the avenues/Judith area- ran into a FAT seal bobbing around following us for about 30 minutes. 

Also have heard that a certain contested parking area once blocked by boulders is now back...

This is accurate drove by on my way southbound on Ocean Rd. and noticed this.

On 7/10/2022 at 9:45 PM, HookSetGo said:

2 trips on the yak, a mess of blues, short sea bass, and weirdly 2 good sized triggerfish.  not complaining since it's a lot of action, but echoing everyone else in having trouble finding fluke.

Dude 2 trigger fish! I’m dying for my first trigger. Care to share how you caught them? Bait, rig and hook size 

Posted (edited)

11 mins ago, bassturds said:

Dude 2 trigger fish! I’m dying for my first trigger. Care to share how you caught them? Bait, rig and hook size 

Sure, was in ~30 feet of water by an inlet, using a 1oz bucktail with gulp and a j-hook teaser 12 inches above it rigged with squid.  Both the triggers came on the j-hook with squid (I think 6/0).  Mix of slow/rapid jigging, the hits felt like porgy at first.

Going out to the same spot tomorrow and will see if they are still lurking!  Photo proof as well-

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 10.15.55 AM.png

Edited by HookSetGo
photo