Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. July 4 - July 10

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The fish blog was created as a common communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. Having this information in one thread benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters. The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own fish reports.   This is the fifth year for this type of approach. Post your success or skunks, either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all know if the bite is good or bad.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have at our disposal to predict where the better fishing will be tomorrow.  

Happy Birthday America ! 

Red, White, and Blue!

Bring on the American hamburgers, hot dogs and potato salad.

Happy 4th of July!

Edited by Capt.Castafly

9 hours ago, Karate Johnny said:

Got into some real ones last night on rigged eels. 

5CFC190C-CB33-4E6A-A7BD-A67DB7F340A5.jpeg

Nice fish, nice job!!!

On 7/5/2022 at 6:32 AM, Karate Johnny said:

Got into some real ones last night on rigged eels. 

5CFC190C-CB33-4E6A-A7BD-A67DB7F340A5.jpeg

Absolute fav spot to fish.... This is exactly why congrats man beautiful fish.

Not fishing exactly, but while Surfing the other day off of the avenues/Judith area- ran into a FAT seal bobbing around following us for about 30 minutes. 

Also have heard that a certain contested parking area once blocked by boulders is now back...

Another awful week on the beach out here. Awesome fishing, horrible catching. Never seen it this slow, mind blowing. 

Posted (edited)

On 7/7/2022 at 6:13 AM, turkaholic said:

Another awful week on the beach out here. Awesome fishing, horrible catching. Never seen it this slow, mind blowing. 

Very little bait in the water, at least where I've been 

Edited by Finneus

Posted (edited)

Out on BI this week, mostly a family vacation… no shortage of seals 

Edited by Salt3r

Posted (edited)

It was such a wonderful day on the ocean this morning. The weather was clear, nice spaced out ground swells; wind was down, but weedy in a few places. That red stuff is murder.

The day is even better when special clients and friends, Norman, Kyle, and Mike release 30 stripers, two bluefish on a full day trip.  

First, a shout out to Steve L the Electrician out at Block Island for all his help planning today’s trip. Steve is wired in out there to use a pun. We had a nice conversation last evening about the Island and how terrible it’s been fishing out there. I hadn’t been out there in weeks. We made the right choice and head in the opposite direction.

Starting out at 5:00am we already had a dozen schoolies after the first full hour of fishing around the walls.  We fished around Narragansett for a bit, than headed to Newport. The bite was steady all morning with no major time delays. We just kept picking away and away at the same location never having to motor far. Here are a few photos of Kyle with a nice striper and his dad Norman and Mike enjoying the moment and the bonding all on the fly.  

20220708_113717.jpg

20220708_085353.jpg

20220708_112218.jpg

Edited by Capt.Castafly

Nice report. It definitely was slow for me this morning, so I guess I headed in the wrong direction. I got a few schoolies on a fly off of a shallow reef, and then a slew of short black sea bass when I switched to deeper water. It was a beautiful morning to be out, though. 

3 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

It was such a wonderful day on the ocean this morning. The weather was clear, nice spaced out ground swells; wind was down, but weedy in a few places. That red stuff is murder.

The day is even better when special clients and friends, Norman, Kyle, and Mike release 30 stripers, two bluefish on a full day trip.  

First, a shout out to Steve L the Electrician out at Block Island for all his help planning today’s trip. Steve is wired in out there to use a pun. We had a nice conversation last evening about the Island and how terrible it’s been fishing out there. I hadn’t been out there in weeks. We made the right choice and head in the opposite direction.

Starting out at 5:00am we already had a dozen schoolies after the first full hour of fishing around the walls.  We fished around Narragansett for a bit, than headed to Newport. The bite was steady all morning with no major time delays. We just kept picking away and away at the same location never having to motor far. Here are a few photos of Kyle with a nice striper and his dad Norman and Mike enjoying the moment and the bonding all on the fly.  

20220708_113717.jpg

20220708_085353.jpg

20220708_112218.jpg

Sounds like a great day.

One thing that stood out - a full day trip in July with only two bluefish. 

Fished in front of a breachway today.  2 man limit of sea bass, couple big porgies, half dozen dogfish, 2 giant blues (in 60 feet of water nonetheless). No fluke, not even a short.  3 big schools of mackerel splashing around.  

Who's hiding the damn fluke?

14 hours ago, Kima said:

Fished in front of a breachway today.  2 man limit of sea bass, couple big porgies, half dozen dogfish, 2 giant blues (in 60 feet of water nonetheless). No fluke, not even a short.  3 big schools of mackerel splashing around.  

Who's hiding the damn fluke?

They weren't hiding, someone has been eating them (not my pic):

291945876_604440244377847_5890991897283466418_n.jpg

21 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

20220708_113717.jpg

20220708_085353.jpg

20220708_112218.jpg