Star Stellar Lite Surf

Rate this topic

55555s

I have a few of the 7'6" SSLS rods.  (1/2-1/ 1/2 oz)

I like them quite a bit, as do my kids.  Very versatile. 

We wanted to try the 8' version (1/2 - 3oz) and while shopping I noticed that the Stellar Lite Surf series is discontinued.   TD states they are being replaced with a new model this year.  

- Why?  These rods have been tested and ime are very well regarded.  Why change?

-What are they being replaced with?  Are they out yet?  

- For those who have used them, is the 8' as versatile as the 7'6"?

thanks

Edited by 55555s

Star surf rod products are a source of confusion for me, I own three of the Stellar Surf (two are 7'-6").  I have never seen a tag with Star Stellar Surf Lite on it.  All of the three I own are Stellar Surf (no "LITE" Irregardless of what their catalog or online info states).  Like you, I really like the 7'-6" Stellar Surf and use mine mostly for slinging metal at Spanish and Bluefish or as a pier rod.  In the 7'6" length I own these two:

1.)    Star Rods, Stellar Surf, SG1020S76, 7’-6” two-piece medium surf rod w/ cork grips, purchased OCT 2018.

Fuji reel seat & guides (5+1), MED action, Line rating 10-20 lbs., Lure rating ½ to 1 ½ oz.

2.)    Star Rods, Stellar Surf, SG276IS, 7’-6” one-piece light surf rod w/ rubber grips, purchased JUN 2022.

Fuji reel seat & Fuji New Concept guides (6+1), Light action, High Modulus IM-7 graphite., Line rating 6-17 lbs., Lure rating 3/8 to 2 oz.

They are pretty well distributed at tackle shops here (their HQ is in Morehead City, just down the road from me).  I have seen one more 7'-6", a one piece Heavy rated, which was very stiff. I just bought the #2 rod above, the light one piece.  I have a Saltist MQ 3000 on it and and have fished it twice, really slings the metal good.  I will say I feel the lure ratings on the two rods is backwards, the Medium will handle a 2 oz. much better than the one piece will - it is at its best at 1/2 to 1-1/4 oz. (in my current limited experience).  The tackle shop folks never seem to have a clue as to what Star is doing, stuff just shows up when it shows up.  The old versions had cork wrappers, the new one has rubber shrink wrap on the grip.  I will stick with them, as they are good rods and less than $100 to include the tax.

5 mins ago, 55555s said:

I have a few of the rods described as your #1 above.  I find that they toss their entire range nicely, 1/2- 1.5  

Perhaps the discontinue referred to the cork wrap style and not the rod line itself.  

Agree, my older 2 pc throws the entire listed lure weight range (and some) but the new, lite rod (the one piece) is over-rated at 2 oz.  The hang tag on my new 1 pc lists a cork wrapper for the handle, but the rod has the rubber shrink tube on it. OH