turkaholic

Dead Sea birds

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

The Block Island Times is warning people not to have any contact with all the Dead Sea birds washing ashore. One possible reason they stated for theirs deaths is lack of food. No bait nothing to eat also the possibility of avian flue. I’m voting on the NO BAIT thingie from what I see out here. The North Light was loaded with dead birds surrounded by alive Grey seals. They all looked well fed though. Can’t imagine a crab or lobster still alive with those buggers roaming the wash. The North light is now closed to vehicular traffic because of Plover nesting.  One strange thing different from most years out there is no Terns and not any birds working. Normally you would hear their voices screaming as they pick a small bait like SANDEELS. There are fish around but they seem to stay away from the shallows and feed in deeper, cooler, sealess waters, we’re doomed I’m afraid. 

Dead shearwater 2, Middletown 2nd Beach, 6-16.jpg

I always see dead birds when I'm there but I thought that there were more this spring, my wife noticed it as well (the dogs love them when they find them on the beach...). I noticed the lack of terns as you did. I only saw a few in the channel. Definitely a lot more of them last year. The absence of their screaming was notable, it's a typical spring beach sound.

As far as bait goes, it was loaded with yoy sandeels weeks ago but that bait never stays around very long and its gone by now  as you said that you're not seeing it. I did see the ospreys with quite a few fresh caught bunker but I never saw the bunker myself.

Seals, I thought that there were markedly fewer of them this spring. North light is usually loaded, 50 on the beach and twice that in the water. This year, I saw one on the beach and it was sick, maybe 10-20 in the water when I was there. 

Yes, in short, we are screwed.

I had only a few outings with a awesome bite with red gills when there were some sand eels around.  I believe that was reasonably close to your trip time frame.  Many skunks this Juneteenth 

5 mins ago, turkaholic said:

I had only a few outings with a awesome bite with red gills when there were some sand eels around.  I believe that was reasonably close to your trip time frame.  Many skunks this Juneteenth 

It probably was but I didn’t see many predators on them. I was also fishing very casually. 

there’s always Florida….

I did read something recently about avian flu killing cormorants. Not sure where it was happening.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just came back from another island. Dead birds everywhere. Tons of bait ranging from sand eels to hickory shad. Bass in the shallows too. 

Edited by UPSmanMatt

We are seeing that up here in Maine as well, Avian flu they are saying. Makes you wonder though, being in the water, what you might get out of all that. Supposedly, getting sick has been happening.

5 hours ago, turkaholic said:

Just curious, any amount of seals ? 

Just one that swam by my rock around midnight. Suicide mission. 

Funny.  I was in Kennebunkport for a couple days last week. Place I'm at is usually (10+ years) filled with sand eels and associated activities.  NOTHING.  couple of dead birds on the beach and a notice about avian flu.  Why no sand eels though?

9 hours ago, bdowning said:

I did read something recently about avian flu killing cormorants. Not sure where it was happening.

Kill them all!!

4 mins ago, quack said:

Funny.  I was in Kennebunkport for a couple days last week. Place I'm at is usually (10+ years) filled with sand eels and associated activities.  NOTHING.  couple of dead birds on the beach and a notice about avian flu.  Why no sand eels though?

I am about 15 mins from Kennebunkport. Fish over that way a lot. The sand eels have been scarce, to say the least the last quite a few years. There have been a frew reports of them this year though. I havent seen any..

They have always been thick where I am. This year... nothing.  No macs either. but those have been decreasing the last few years.  I only gave a half assed effort though.  The tea leaves told me to focus on other things