Applej300

New- Is this the right setup for surf casting?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Hello, I am inexperienced at saltwater fishing.  I have a Andes 10ft Tournament surf rod Medium-Heavy action and Penn Fierce III 5000 reel.  

 

-Is this a good setup for general surf casting (in New Jersey).  I am hoping to catch Stripers, blues, kingfish, and whatever else is possible.  The combo is new and has not been used so I can still return it if there is something better I should use.

-Also there are some back bays/inlets with jettys in my area, could this rod also be used there for fluke/flounder?

-I am under the assumption this rod is for bait casting rather then a jig? What size line should I put on for surf casting this time of year?


Thanks in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go lighter.  3/4 oz -3 oz., 9' rod with a 4500 size reel for striped bass in fall.  Throw plugs.  
 

Now, get a 7'-7'6" light - medium rod and 2500-3500 size reel for fluke and maybe striped bass off the beach.  Bass depending where you are, Monmouth county better chance at rocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Can you get that rod on a scale? If my memory serves me - that is one of the inexpensive rods that is way too heavy for plugging and probably won't load well on cast either. I would opt for a 9ft rod rated to 3oz. and a 4000/4500 size penn.

Edited by MAGA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is going to be great learning rod/reel combo for you.

It will not cast best and plugs/lures may not be that easy to work but it will work for bait.

You can use mono line anywhere from 15lb to 30lb to get a feeling of casting and surf fishing.

Later, when you decide if you will stay with fishing and learn a curve or two, then you may start looking for lighter rod and maybe a lighter reel.

But, at first, you will be OK with this combo.

Good luck out there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Popasilov. Your setup will work ok. And....

If, and when, you get an upgrade.  You'll love it and appreciate the differences.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MAGA said:

Can you get that rod on a scale? If my memory serves me - that is one of the inexpensive rods that is way to heavy for plugging and probably won't load well on cast either. I would opt for a 9ft rod rated to 3oz. and a 4000/4500 size penn.

Thank you all- 

As to this question, it is a "cheaper" option.  I dont have it in front of me but online says package weight is just over 1 kilogram if that makes sense.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sam3631 said:

Go lighter.  3/4 oz -3 oz., 9' rod with a 4500 size reel for striped bass in fall.  Throw plugs.  
 

Now, get a 7'-7'6" light - medium rod and 2500-3500 size reel for fluke and maybe striped bass off the beach.  Bass depending where you are, Monmouth county better chance at rocks.

Thank you-  is that fluke setup you suggested good for bait or plugs or both?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Popasilov said:

This is going to be great learning rod/reel combo for you.

It will not cast best and plugs/lures may not be that easy to work but it will work for bait.

You can use mono line anywhere from 15lb to 30lb to get a feeling of casting and surf fishing.

Later, when you decide if you will stay with fishing and learn a curve or two, then you may start looking for lighter rod and maybe a lighter reel.

But, at first, you will be OK with this combo.

Good luck out there.

 

Thank you.  Dumb question...

When fishing bait with this setup (either fluke or something like kingfish etc) is this something you need to set the hook or if it works you just notice a fish is on the line?  If that makes sense...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it will work ande rods are entry level probly bit heavy but it will throw plugs or jigs from beach or jetty's , arms will definitely get sore though , good chunk bait rod to cast and put in holder , the 5k Penn is a great reel to start if u want braid 30-50# will get u out there  good luk as time goes u see what likes and dislikes r adjustable from there( CAUTION FISHING IS ADDICTIVE)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 mins ago, Applej300 said:

Thank you.  Dumb question...

When fishing bait with this setup (either fluke or something like kingfish etc) is this something you need to set the hook or if it works you just notice a fish is on the line?  If that makes sense...

 

Use circle hooks and no need to set it up.

Just hold the rod, instead of placing it on the sleeve/beach holder.

You will see.

Go out there and have fun.

Catching fish will come after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Like Popa said.  Use it.  Learn how to fish 1st.  Then upgrade.   Think like this....

A master craftsman can use the most basic tools and still get the job done.  But u need to learn the basics.  

 

Personally, I'd spool it with mono. 20lb.  Trilene XL is my fav.   Learn how to tie good knots.   Improved cinch is my most used knot.   But if I was starting from zero I'd learn a Uni first. The Uni knot spans it's usefulness into braided lines as well.  d11471_9ce059b4204e43d19435ac39cd173c6e_mv2.jpg.43af346ecb236cc52088dec048965ad0.jpg

Then you can do a double uni or uni to uni to attach lines to leaders. Wether mono or braid.  Double-Uni-Knot.jpg.b12f2e6cb9ab6f7aed7b1e4d5eb3ea50.jpg

Edited by PSegnatelli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Find a good friendly tackle shop and start buying stuff there.  They will spoonfeed you tips & tactics.  

 

If you post your location I guarantee someone has a shop they'll suggest.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 mins ago, Jbass9879 said:

Yes it will work ande rods are entry level probly bit heavy but it will throw plugs or jigs from beach or jetty's , arms will definitely get sore though , good chunk bait rod to cast and put in holder , the 5k Penn is a great reel to start if u want braid 30-50# will get u out there  good luk as time goes u see what likes and dislikes r adjustable from there( CAUTION FISHING IS ADDICTIVE)

 

thanks, whats the advantage of braid over mono?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Find a good friendly tackle shop and start buying stuff there.  They will spoonfeed you tips & tactics.  

 

If you post your location I guarantee someone has a shop they'll suggest.   

avalon nj

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 mins ago, Popasilov said:

 

Use circle hooks and no need to set it up.

Just hold the rod, instead of placing it on the sleeve/beach holder.

You will see.

Go out there and have fun.

Catching fish will come after.

thanks, making sure i understand, circle hooks ok for fluke or kingfish etc?  no need to set hook?

 

Also why not put it in a holder?  Just curious

Thanks for the help and sorry for the questions.  This site is very helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.