Jmat321

Is All the Equipment Necessary

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Has he fished the beach in below freezing with the wind where you stick your numb hands in your jacket or waders to get a break? Yes, it is necessary.

5 hours ago, Jmat321 said:

The 16’ rods, waterproof reels and ninja costumes.  Spent some time recently with a pretty well known FL fisherman.  They apparently are getting a huge kick out of the northerners coming down with their 10 story rods and ninja suits.  7’-8’er, 3000-5000 reel  and a bathing suit is more than adequate for most species on the beach per this gentleman.  Thoughts?

This guy is in Florida and does alright with a longer rod.

Posted (edited)

This time of the year, in day time, no waders.

Just shoes, swimming shorts, t-shirt and belt with a small pouch.

Guy close to me, chest waders, sombrero hat, wind jacket and the back pack.

He is happy with that.

Now, on South Shore night fishing, I will need more then shorts and t-shirt.

Edited by Popasilov

Also, I like my 10' rod, so even I can go with 7' or 8' on my local beach, I still bring 10' or even 11'.

Just because I like it.

Everybody may tell you that fishing South Shore on Long Island ocean, you may need 10' or 11' rod but I've seen plenty of guys using 7' rods and catching fish.

I wouldn’t need a wetsuit or splash jacket if the water was 80 degrees either. 

Plus the Florida guys don’t realize how ridiculous they look wearing buffs over there face all day. To each their own. 

6 hours ago, Jmat321 said:

The 16’ rods, waterproof reels and ninja costumes.  Spent some time recently with a pretty well known FL fisherman.  They apparently are getting a huge kick out of the northerners coming down with their 10 story rods and ninja suits.  7’-8’er, 3000-5000 reel  and a bathing suit is more than adequate for most species on the beach per this gentleman.  Thoughts?

Obviously they mock out of ignorance. Let them come up here with their pink sandals and we'll see how long they can last before getting killed. Different jobs require different tools. Some places I fish are treacherous to a point that I have a helmet. People get killed up here. If they got a taste of what some of us eat, they'd hurry back covered in barnacle rash. 

1 hour ago, jeffapeikin said:

Barnacle rash- not good. Fell in jetty before. 

Got pushed around on some barnacle rocks tonight, big surf and a wetsuits always a good time....

13 hours ago, Jmat321 said:

LOL. I wonder what Northerners think of visiting Floridians :)  

I dont think it matters at all so long as they are safe, enjoying themself and catching fish.

Posted (edited)

Pffft

my Florida brother’s slow pitch boxes make Kim Kardashian’s jewelry boxes look cheap

- don’t let that Sabastian beach bum fisherman in flip flops and ratty tank fool you, he’s got a quad 45 SeaVee with all the bling out back, he’s only on the beach until the wind dies down

Edited by Jason B

I see fishermen loaded with gear and worried about how much a rod weighs in ounces…. I’m must be old school I just take the tackle I need one ,two tube surf bag.I might add or subtract tackle when I see the water/conditions but I only take fishing tackle or equipment  , save the gear for the googans …lol lol lol 

The naked guy with the 5' SpongeBob zebco combo is laughing at the guy with the 7' inshore combo in a bathing suit, who is laughing at me with my surf gear, we are all part of the universe 

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, Jmat321 said:

Having lived in both FL (plus frequent visitor since my mom lives there) and MA, I always advise not to bring the surf gear down unless perhaps you're shark fishing. It may be a little more useful on the east coast of FL vs the west coast, but is still overkill either way you slice it. 

If you have a schoolie, albie outfit that's maybe on the stouter side of that size class, you have all your bases covered. A second spinning road that's on the lighter side of that same size class would be great from some of the lighter stuff you have to throw. The stouter gear should be reserved for fishing for fish (especially snook) around structure. The lighter outfit can handle most of everything else most inshore guys are going to encounter (other than shark or tarpon fishing)...Save the Cape and Montauk gear for the Cape or Montauk

Edited by albacized

9 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Got pushed around on some barnacle rocks tonight, big surf and a wetsuits always a good time....

Yeah I had some rashes and bruises from my fall. I think the rashes were worse by a little.