NJTramcar

Quality of deer available seems to be sliding downhill

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Went to a few places in person and online I typically get bucktail hair and was surprised by how small the selections are and the quality isn't that great.

Anyone else seeing this as I continue to search?

I have always seen that for the most part. Most tails don't meet my standards. Every time I hit a shop I always check to see what they have, I'll never pass up a good tail in white or yellow (pretty much any color unless I know that I am fully stocked.

The bears den has quite an assortment of bucktail.  They explain the half dozen or so suppliers offerings pretty well on their site.  Usually, I don’t know what I want till I see it and touch it.  You can pay up to ~10.00 for a jumbo but not many patterns call for 4”+ hair.  If you call bearsden and describe what you need they will treat you right.

Of course they are not the only source for quality materials but one I mostly find what I want.  I miss the bucktail the Saltwater Edge used to bring to the spring shows twenty years ago.

14 mins ago, JohnDe said:

The bears den has quite an assortment of bucktail.  They explain the half dozen or so suppliers offerings pretty well on their site.  Usually, I don’t know what I want till I see it and touch it.  You can pay up to ~10.00 for a jumbo but not many patterns call for 4”+ hair.  If you call bearsden and describe what you need they will treat you right.

Of course they are not the only source for quality materials but one I mostly find what I want.  I miss the bucktail the Saltwater Edge used to bring to the spring shows twenty years ago.

Thanks, I use Bears Den and agree they are a good organization and help with finding material I need.  

They were the ones who originally told me about supply quality issues a year ago.

1 min ago, 27conch said:

You can find quality bucktail still IMHO.

You can but it isn't like a year or so ago.

Climate change!!!  Rule of thumb, the colder the weather where the Deer lived the more hair. As to a source of supply Brad Buzzy at BuzFly best time around Jan. Feb. after Deer season ends.

Obtaining deertails from a supplier is expensive and you are competing with everyone else also looking for quality. Try taxidermy studious west of the Mississippi where they are thrown in a box and sold for pennies in comparison. No longer buying any but my price was $1 each, plus shipping, for over 30 years. The deer (and their tails) were always large out west. 

I don't think I have purchased an excellent tail sight unseen. I've probably gotten a few 'good' ones tho. 

The Bearsden is obviously a great source outlast time that I was there I didn't see many 'excellent' tails. They had a ton of color options but not a lot of length to them. Stock comes and goes so it could change quick.

I've had good luck at club flea markets (Berkeley) in the past but I had to go thru a huge bin for maybe 5 tails. I got lucky recently in Key West at a shop, the last place I would expect to find a good tail.