Bigred78

Throwing a hog choker imitation

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever thought of throwing some sort of hogchocker lure before. Hogchockers are these little brackish water flounder that live up and down the north east coast in the same areas that the stripers run up to spawn. It seems highly likely to me that they would be a prey item for stripers. I’m fairly certain that no one has made a lure for this before so I took the liberty of doing it. Does anyone have hopes of this working? The way I make these lures are by 3d printing the molds. The files can be found here for free if anyone has a printer and wants to try it themselves: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5423666

heres some pictures

3E03BFFB-79B8-44A8-939F-AC3B7A93D8F0.jpeg

5A637F3C-AA8A-486C-BBA6-17939DDB03D7.jpeg

Was done before, can't remember the name? The surfcaster sold them, they had a jig head that was shaped like a flounder with plastic bodys.

1 hour ago, Haycreekrambler said:

Was done before, can't remember the name? The surfcaster sold them, they had a jig head that was shaped like a flounder with plastic bodys.

That’s pretty cool and idea how well it worked?

19 mins ago, Bigred78 said:

That’s pretty cool and idea how well it worked?

I never fished one. Look them up using the search engine here. There's couple pages about them and the guy who made them.

I have cleaned bass with small flounder stacked in their stomachs like pancakes. So, they will obviously key in on them if other food sources are scarce. The petri-fish was a fail by most accounts tho.

I think the problem with anything like this is the flatness. I can’t see this not spinning like a propeller in the current. But by all means give it a shot. The petri fish looked like a fail to me because of the design of the lead head, too by flat and broad.

I fished a Petri-Fish flounder a bit, with no result. I think it'd work better as a jig from a boat. As a surfcaster's lure, not so much.

I've had some luck with flounder type flies. I was actually thinking about how I could make one as a lure and how far I could get. Nice work. 

I think that aside from a match the hatch type thing it has a very wide profile and at a certain time it might do a great job getting the attention fo the fish. 

I’m excited to give it a try this fall. I’m either using a jig head or using I think it’s  called a vcm Tokyo rig not sure the exact name. Originally I wanted to use a weighted swim bait hook but I don’t think those exhaust in the ounce range.