albacized

Circle hook regulations question - typically doesn't bait fish

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

So to preface this, I typically don't bait fish...but in special circumstances (like trying for sharks), I would (out of necessity). So with that said, I noticed that you now have to use circle hooks when striper fishing, How advisable would it be to use circle hooks (say for example, brown shark fishing) if the techniques are superficially similar? Especially with using eels for bait. If an EPO shows up, is my word that I'm shark fishing (along with a wire leader on the business end of my line) enough to escape any issues? Or can I get ticketed anyway?

From my understanding, you can fish non-circle hooks with bait as long as you are targeting another species. If you incidentally catch a striper, it must be released regardless of size and condition (gut hooked).

Of course this opens up the possibility for anglers to use whatever hooked baits they want and lie to any enforcement officer that they are targeting bluefish. But then such unscrupulous anglers would be violating the law if they were to keep a slot striper caught on a baited j hook, not to mention providing an officer of the law with false information.

3 hours ago, Pescador710 said:

From my understanding, you can fish non-circle hooks with bait as long as you are targeting another species. If you incidentally catch a striper, it must be released regardless of size and condition (gut hooked).

Of course this opens up the possibility for anglers to use whatever hooked baits they want and lie to any enforcement officer that they are targeting bluefish. But then such unscrupulous anglers would be violating the law if they were to keep a slot striper caught on a baited j hook, not to mention providing an officer of the law with false information.

Agree, what he said.

Just to add something.  Ive never fished for brown shark, but I've seen people doing it. In 99% of the cases, it's pretty obvious they're targeting something more robust than stripers.  I think any EPO would notice that as well and not bother you.

Shark fishing also requires circle hooks these days. The days of misted 7699s are long gone.

5 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Shark fishing also requires circle hooks these days. The days of Mustad 7699s are long gone.

FIFY.

7 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Shark fishing also requires circle hooks these days. The days of misted 7699s are long gone.

2 hours ago, bdowning said:

FIFY.

"Mistads" are the Chinese knockoff. 

7 hours ago, MakoMike said:

ah HA! I thought I'd read that.

The day will come when we need inline circles to target blacklback flounder, sea robins and croaker. (Sigh) So be it. I will comply.  Meanwhile, I gotta get busy and sell my large collection on J hooks meant for rigging eels; big SS stuff, and so on.

I have seen people liveline macks for “bluefish”. It is perfectly legal, although it was obvious they were targeting stripers, technically as long as they don’t keep the bass they are legal. 

20 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Ah - guess this renders my question moot..thanks for all the replies

15 hours ago, BrianBM said:

ah HA! I thought I'd read that.

The day will come when we need inline circles to target blacklback flounder, sea robins and croaker. (Sigh) So be it. I will comply.  Meanwhile, I gotta get busy and sell my large collection on J hooks meant for rigging eels; big SS stuff, and so on.

I did this the other night with some J hooks & a cheese curl bag.  

4/0 on left.  7/0 on right.  

Gonna toss em behind a casting egg when the blues are around.  20220630_194317.jpg.2dd3d946581ac4557c554e5af5997ce4.jpg

5 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I did this the other night with some J hooks & a cheese curl bag.  

4/0 on left.  7/0 on right.  

Gonna toss em behind a casting egg when the blues are around.  20220630_194317.jpg.2dd3d946581ac4557c554e5af5997ce4.jpg

That's pretty cool, and creative