Machiavelli3

Question about party boat fluking...need help

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

On 7/9/2022 at 10:29 AM, Machiavelli3 said:

You recommend casting into the drift, that means if you cast the jig it should be working its way back towards the boat until its vertical or going under the boat, correct?

Yes.

On 7/9/2022 at 10:29 AM, Machiavelli3 said:

Why do you like doing this as opposed to say using a sinker and just sitting on the bottom or if your going lighter letting line out as the drift/current takes your jig away from the boat and periodically letting line out to maintain bottom?

Because you can get away with much, much lighter jigs esp if the boat is fishing relatively shallow, say under 40ft. This is important since a 1/2oz jig will look much more natural than a 4oz jig - you will catch more fish and bigger fish if you're doing this right. 

Also you get to the fish first. 

I'm a big proponent of not using a teaser unless I absolutely have to. Anything under 40-50ft I am standing at the tip of the pulpit or a stern corner slinging a sub 1oz jig (usually 1/4 - 1/2oz jig) up drift and working it back, no teaser. It's more work but it generally pays off. 

YOu dont' need to be on teh bottom, just near it. I am hardly every on teh bottom when fluking, structure. Hit bottom one turn 10 bounces, freespool hit bottom 1 turn, etc.

How far do you think the jig comes up? It's not like you hit bottom and then it flies up 20 feet. COmmon sense prevails

The other component of upcasting is using a light setup. I use a medium rod with 10 lb line. I’m sure you can use a lighter rod, but that’s what I’m comfortable with. 

Posted (edited)

Yeah I agree that the lighter jig looks more natural and smaller and will catch more fish. However party boat fluking in NJ its nearly impossible to get away with sub 1oz jigs. On a great day in perfect conditions when drifting a 2oz is sometimes possible. When going under the boat u can cast it and get away with going as light as possible.

My new favorite thing is the trailer hook instead of the chicken rig or teaser above the jig. Especially when the current is ripping the heavier bucktails almost work just like a sinker for you but could potentially catch a big fluke, and then u have that plain trailer hook and can put any type of gulp and bait combo on it depending on what's working that day. I think it makes more sense than using a sinker.

What do you think of this strategy assuming we're not casting into the drift and need anywhere from 3-6 oz on a typical day.

Say we need about 4oz to hold bottom.

Instead of using a big 4 oz bucktail lower it to maybe 2oz and on the trailer hook use a plain ball jig in the 1-2oz range?

The only downside I can see is the trailer hook weighing down the bucktail a bit and getting less action on the jig. But I'm wondering if it's worth trying or doing for the simple fact that a smaller bucktail will usually catch more than the bigger ones.

Hopefully the next time i go there's a light crowd and I can cast into the drift going as light as I can. But if not I'll bring 2 rods one for when I'm going under the boat and away from the boat. Usually the party boats switch up the side of the drift every spot so u can go back and forth.

Also when your casting lightest jigs what size gulps do you recommend 4 inch mullets or 6inch grubs? Should we go as small as we can with the bait presentations?

Edited by Machiavelli3

1 hour ago, Machiavelli3 said:

However party boat fluking in NJ its nearly impossible to get away with sub 1oz jigs

Depends where you're fishing but in my party boat fluking days I would post up as early as necessary to grab the pulpit spot - 2am, the night before - whatever it took. 

The rest of the boat could be packed like a sardine can but none of it matters to you - you're standing at the tip of the pulpit facing the water, and sling your light jigs all day in any direction regardless of what the drift is doing. 

5 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Depends where you're fishing but in my party boat fluking days I would post up as early as necessary to grab the pulpit spot - 2am, the night before - whatever it took. 

The rest of the boat could be packed like a sardine can but none of it matters to you - you're standing at the tip of the pulpit facing the water, and sling your light jigs all day in any direction regardless of what the drift is doing. 

Nice I'm gonna try this. When you tossing the jig and the drift is slow are u reeling that jig in trying to cover some ground?

Buddha have u ever seen John skinner fluking videos on youtube? Have u ever notices he's always using like 2 -4oz bucktail with a teaser and 6inch gulp grubs and dropping straight down and always getting them? I have no doubt that this works but it seems that's the only way he fluke fishes. 

I have noticed on party boats especially when the fluke are smaller thT they do not hit those larger bucktails sometimes. 

But it seems like skinner pretty much every fluke video he has is hi. Using a 2-4oz bucktail with a tsunami glass minnow teaser and 6 inch grubs dropping straight down and getting them. He really doesn't have to work for them or come up with ideas or switch up baits or even use cut bait at all to catch them. Where as I notice in NJ especially on party boats sometimes u need bait or smaller gulps etc. Or u won't get anything...but skinner seems to crush them everytime over n over with the same exact setup everytime

.but skinner seems to crush them everytime over n over with the same exact setup everytime

I have to wonder how much editing goes into making those videos.  He's good but not that good.  Everybody has a bad day of fishing sometimes.

22 hours ago, Machiavelli3 said:

Buddha have u ever seen John skinner fluking videos on youtube?

Lol you're right, he uses one technique and never changes bc he doesn't have to - eastern LI/Montauk is that good compared to the NJ/NY metro area. 

Around here, a light single jig presented properly will outfish the hi/lo "jigglers" day in and day out, quality and quantity. From shore, kayak, boat/party boat doesn't matter. Sub 50ft and it's time to cast and jig. 

6 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

I have to wonder how much editing goes into making those videos.  He's good but not that good.  Everybody has a bad day of fishing sometimes.

You're only seeing the good days, which is understandable. Say what you will about JS but he has standards - even my tiny YT channel the bare minimum for an upload is a limit of 18"+ fish lol. And that's from shore! 

3 hours ago, SEMPER FIsh said:

Does Skinner fish from a party boat? 

I believe he has at least one video fishing for Fluke from a party boat.

Posted (edited)

Heres another question I have. Why does casting into the drift with a light jig work better than say a hi lo rig dropping straight down. Is it simply because of the action of the jig compared to the hi lo rig? And let's assume that both the hi lo and jig bait presentations are about the same.

Edited by Machiavelli3

On 7/23/2022 at 8:18 PM, buddha162 said:

Lol you're right, he uses one technique and never changes bc he doesn't have to - eastern LI/Montauk is that good compared to the NJ/NY metro area. 

Around here, a light single jig presented properly will outfish the hi/lo "jigglers" day in and day out, quality and quantity. From shore, kayak, boat/party boat doesn't matter. Sub 50ft and it's time to cast and jig. 

Also please answer. If you're in over 50 ft say 70ft of water.....can we still cast from the pulpit or atleast into the drift? If we are not casting into the drift in over 50 ft of water we'll either need a sinker or too big of a jig/bucktail.