Machiavelli3

Question about party boat fluking...need help

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

Hi guys. There's a few guys who I fish with and see a lot on a boat I go out on and I think they are fishing incorrectly or not using optimal strategy, but im not sure and would like the opinion of others.

 

So when there's a light crowd we can all go on one side of the boat so we dont go under the boat. Now obviously these 2 guys bucktail or use a ball jig with just gulp....I know that works and it works well. But however when the current is a little fast and 4oz jigs/bucktails are not holding bottom they like to keep the reel in free spool and keep their thumb on the line constantly letting out line till it stops and regains bottom contact again. They'll jig as they're doing this.

 

My question is basically is this optimal or a good strategy. The owner of a tackle shop which is across the street from this boat even recommended I do it, I've tried it before and i rarely have success. 

 

I'm thinking they do this because they want to jig and not use a sinker. But my opinion is that jigging isn't even accomplishing anything because ur line is stopped and on the bottom only for brief moments and when the lines going out its probably ripping along with the current and the jigging action is basically useless because of.the speed and also you might be floating above the bottom.

 

The only way I can see this being optimal is if as you're letting line out maybe your still on the bottom?

 

Is the reason that line is going out because the current is lifting up the jig/bucktail off the bottom? The line then goes out until the bucktail reaches bottom again?

 

What I would love to know is this: When you drop down and hit bottom and then let out line and it takes a bit. Where is your jig when the line is going out? Did the current sweep the jig and scope your line out lifting the jig off the bottom? And then as you let more line out you're sinking back down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have even added additional weight to jig heads and bucktails using egg type sinker to hold bottom while jigging...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to always know that my jig is in contact with bottom. Lots of variables;

line thickness, depth, current speed. I will move up in jig size until I make good contact. Yes you could keep letting out more scope of line but at some point it’s unmanageable and you lose feel. Back in the days before everyone jigged and you used a 3 way bait and sinker combo and heavy mono line would need anything from 4 to 12 ounce sinkers to maintain bottom contact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While doing this technique will catch some fluke it is not ideal.

You really want to be able to have constant contact with the bottom and too much scope means you don’t have it on the bottom enough.

Proper jig weight will allow you to jig the bottom and dropping back will get the fish following your jig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Machiavelli3 said:

So when there's a light crowd we can all go on one side of the boat so we dont go under the boat. Now obviously these 2 guys bucktail or use a ball jig with just gulp....I know that works and it works well. But however when the current is a little fast and 4oz jigs/bucktails are not holding bottom they like to keep the reel in free spool and keep their thumb on the line constantly letting out line till it stops and regains bottom contact again. They'll jig as they're doing this.

 

They should be on the other side of the boat or better yet at the pulpit/stern corners and casting into the drift. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

24 mins ago, buddha162 said:

 

They should be on the other side of the boat or better yet at the pulpit/stern corners and casting into the drift. 

Many people do not understand this. fishing behind the boat is essentially dragging and a foolhardy approach on wrecks or sticky structure. I’ve watched people go through more than a dozen bucktails by doing this.  
 

The up cast technique can be learned first by casting in the direction of the drift from the bow or stern and working the jig/bucktail as the boat drifts. Keep jigging until the line starts to scope a little then reel up and start over. 
 

Depending on where the hits occur, adjust to upcast or dragging or a hybrid. 
 

There isn’t one best way to catch fluke. The challenge is to figure out how to trigger bites on a given day with that day’s conditions. 
 

That said, expect to lose tackle. So learn how to tie rigs and main line to leader connections quickly. 
 

 

Edited by hookmeup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, giant basshole said:

Watch some Skinner videos, it will give you some insight into your questions 

I've watched a lot of skinner vids, would you mind just telling me this one question? When you're line is scoping out is the current lifting your jig off the bottom or is your jig just moving along the bottom too fast?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about using a drail or hookless diamond jig with a leader, hook and bucktail skirt?  

 

I remember doing this years ago on a striper/bluefish boat, and using a strip of herring on the hook.  Caught quite a few fluke as well. 

 

 

I had no techniques other than a 12oz weight and a arm length of whatever mono was on the rental.  Drop to the bottom and drag along. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hookmeup said:

Many people do not understand this. fishing behind the boat is essentially dragging and a foolhardy approach on wrecks or sticky structure. I’ve watched people go through more than a dozen bucktails by doing this.  
The up cast technique can be learned first by casting in the direction of the drift from the bow or stern and working the jig/bucktail as the boat drifts. Keep jigging until the line starts to scope a little then reel up and start over. 

 

The best is when people bomb a cast out behind the drift...completely missing the point. That and insisting on staying "vertical" makes me chuckle, esp in shallow-ish water. 

 

If you're casting up drift the best conditions are wind against tide, when the wind actually overtakes the current by a smidge. You cover water and your jig is traveling with the current. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 mins ago, Machiavelli3 said:

I've watched a lot of skinner vids, would you mind just telling me this one question? When you're line is scoping out is the current lifting your jig off the bottom or is your jig just moving along the bottom too fast?

 

When dragging behind the drift, scoping out with the same length of line means your jig is lifting off the bottom. If you keep letting line out, it's possible your jig is near the bottom, but then you're basically covering no ground. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2022 at 2:15 PM, buddha162 said:

 

They should be on the other side of the boat or better yet at the pulpit/stern corners and casting into the drift. 

On the rare occasions that I fluke fish from a party boat, I also try to get a spot at the bow.  Far fewer tangles, and yes, it makes it easieer to cast into the drift.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2022 at 4:22 PM, buddha162 said:

 

When dragging behind the drift, scoping out with the same length of line means your jig is lifting off the bottom. If you keep letting line out, it's possible your jig is near the bottom, but then you're basically covering no ground. 

You recommend casting into the drift, that means if you cast the jig it should be working its way back towards the boat until its vertical or going under the boat, correct?

 

Why do you like doing this as opposed to say using a sinker and just sitting on the bottom or if your going lighter letting line out as the drift/current takes your jig away from the boat and periodically letting line out to maintain bottom?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Went on a 5 hr party boat fluke trip this weekend with my dad...so i fished a rig called a tap dancer its basically a buckail with a trailer hook. and the way the owner of the tackle shop told me to. I was using 3oz and 6oz bucktails. When the drift was coming towards us or the lines were goning under the boat I was casting and working the jig back to the boat till I got under the boat and then re casting.

 

When the drift was going away from the boat due to current 3oz didn't feel comfortable and so I used a 6oz bucktail. When going away from the boat I was dropping straight down and letting line out till it stopped and then jigging for 10 seconds and letting more line out and continuing this.

 

I had 5 or 6 short fluke one almost made the slot fish. But was half inch shy. There wasn't many keepers and it was a rather slow day. Most of the shorts came when the drift was going away, if not all. They hit on the 4inch pink shine Gulp mullet with a small piece of squid matching that size.

 

On the the 3oz and 6oz bucktails I was using 5 or 6 inch grubs. The plain gulp 4inch mullet seemed to catch all of the fish

Edited by Machiavelli3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.