Cracking Epoxy

Rate this topic

Striper46

8 hours ago, TopStriperAngler said:

Very interesting. I have had this happen with D2T cool to learn the name for the phenomenon. 

@OakmanI am making some gliders out of a board of white oak. I don't know what species just that it's definitely white oak--bought from hardwood lumber place. So far I sealed 'em with epoxy, rusto-painted, and topcoated with Bob Smith 30 min. Curious what I can expect from this wood as it starts to absorb moisture. Will it swell much?

In my world white oak is prized for its rot resistance, structural integrity, and steam bending capabilities.  It is most often used for structural members, keels, frames, wood cleats, tiller arms, etc.  Interestingly enough it moves quite a bit when submerged.  I had a white oak rudder on one of my boats which over the winter individual planks would shrink across the grain and gaps up too 1/2" would open up.  Upon launching those gaps would close in about two hours.  However this is with just bottom paint, your sealing schedule seems a bit more robust but in general white oak moves a lot submersed.  Now, I know you said you bought from a hardwood lumber place, but take a piece of the oak, say 3/8" x 3/8" or bigger, ripped along the grain, put one end in a cup of water and blow on the other end.  If it is white oak, you will not be able to blow through it, if it is red oak, you will see bubbles out the end in the water.  This is the best way for the layman to test for red oak, often sold as white oak even by people who know better.  There's a saying that the closer a board of red ok gets to a boatyard, the whiter it becomes.  

11 hours ago, rollincoal said:

Sounds like this is the issue, it is allowing too much water into the wood through the belly hole/through hole area

Yea I actually had a weight of this plug before it hit the water and a couples days after, it was heavier so water is definitely getting in. This weight was taken 3 days after it saw water so I’m sure it absorbed even more. I switched my sealer and I’m running a couple test plugs now. 

didn’t think of Weighing it till just last night. Lol 

thank you everyone for input! Greatly appreciated.

15C24AE0-21AC-48EE-86B7-928C9C661552.jpeg

9EDD2DEC-2245-4294-924B-9FB46667422A.jpeg

Edited by Striper46

On 7/3/2022 at 2:17 PM, Striper46 said:

Yea I actually had a weight of this plug before it hit the water and a couples days after, it was heavier so water is definitely getting in. This weight was taken 3 days after it saw water so I’m sure it absorbed even more. I switched my sealer and I’m running a couple test plugs now. 

didn’t think of Weighing it till just last night. Lol 

thank you everyone for input! Greatly appreciated.

15C24AE0-21AC-48EE-86B7-928C9C661552.jpeg

9EDD2DEC-2245-4294-924B-9FB46667422A.jpeg

Like the look of that one! Is that one pine?

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

-Doug Larson

1 hour ago, lonellr said:

Like the look of that one! Is that one pine?

what's up lonell, yes this is a tighter grain pine. this is what me and Rui were talking about the other day. Not sure if we actually ever asked you. But did you have issues with Pine on unsealed plugs(sealed but not filled with epoxy)?

Edited by Striper46

13 mins ago, Striper46 said:

what's up lonell, yes this is a tighter grain pine. this is what me and Rui were talking about the other day. Not sure if we actually ever asked you. But did you have issues with Pine on unsealed plugs(sealed but not filled with epoxy)?

My pine plugs with just the urethane/mineral spirits mix seal have held up quite nice (let the urethane dry/cure for a week). I’ve never had issues with the select pine. With my new gliders I’m doing a thin coat of etex under the primer just for kicks. I’m also top coating with auto clear. Additional steps but I don’t mind.

Edited by lonellr

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

-Doug Larson

1 hour ago, lonellr said:

My pine plugs with just the urethane/mineral spirits mix seal have held up quite nice (let the urethane dry/cure for a week). I’ve never had issues with the select pine. With my new gliders I’m doing a thin coat of etex under the primer just for kicks. I’m also top coating with auto clear. Additional steps but I don’t mind.

interesting, so you are doing seal, etex, primer, paint, etex and then autoclear? whats the point of the base etex coat and finishing with auto clear?

1 min ago, Striper46 said:

interesting, so you are doing seal, etex, primer, paint, etex and then autoclear? whats the point of the base etex coat and finishing with auto clear?

No etex under auto clear. I just use auto clear, spray 3-4 coats for the top coat.

-Doug Larson

5 mins ago, Striper46 said:

why auto clear apposed to etex?

4 mins ago, Striper46 said:

sick! what kinda wood?

select Pine,

Its easily sprayed with the proper ventilation and respirator. I had so many issues with cracking, bubbling, bare spots, and orange peel texture with my epoxies. I kept switching. Went from etex to west systems. West Systems worked great, but the process for doing 20-30 lures was annoying for me. I like that I can set up something to hang the 20-30 lures on and just spray the auto clear for 3-4 coats and cures in a day or so. Hook rash goes through faster, but the lures still last a long time.

-Doug Larson

12 mins ago, lonellr said:

select Pine,

Its easily sprayed with the proper ventilation and respirator. I had so many issues with cracking, bubbling, bare spots, and orange peel texture with my epoxies. I kept switching. Went from etex to west systems. West Systems worked great, but the process for doing 20-30 lures was annoying for me. I like that I can set up something to hang the 20-30 lures on and just spray the auto clear for 3-4 coats and cures in a day or so. Hook rash goes through faster, but the lures still last a long time.

gotcha, yea the etex is problematic for me too, i never get a blem free plug but coating is solid. I'm also very new to it so hopefully i'll get it someday. when i switched from hanging my plugs to a spinner my coating got waaaaaaay better.

4 hours ago, Striper46 said:

gotcha, yea the etex is problematic for me too, i never get a blem free plug but coating is solid. I'm also very new to it so hopefully i'll get it someday. when i switched from hanging my plugs to a spinner my coating got waaaaaaay better.

If you are having issues with blems and epoxy, try putting a light coat of Rusto clear over the plug after paint and before epoxy. Use the matte clear enamel and not a heavy coat.

Before I switched to TrueCoat I had so many issues with pull away and fish eyes. Putting a light coat of matte clear made most of that go away.

Something to consider.