C. Regalis

Spey / Two Hand Lines

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Question - I think  there was a fellow - West Coaster, I believe, who was known for devising and making up custom lines by cutting and joining heads and tips from existing / available lines.

Does anyone remember his name? (Unless I'm " mis-remembering" - or just flat out making it up....)

Thanks Mikey! I thought that might be it. When I called  Beulah with a line issue I had they hooked me up with him. The name "Steve Godshall" rang a bell with me.

I sent him a line that he welded a new loop on for me.  Unbelievably nice guy who really did right by me! (And so fast a turnaround, my head is spinning).

I love what he did on the line - couldn't be happier and can't say enough nice things about him!

Posted (edited) · Report post

While we're on the subject, my Out Front 12' 9" is marked 550 grains ( The guy that built it was pretty smart...)

Is that a "sweet spot" - is there a grain "window'?

Glad you had a good trip. Safe travels home.

Edited by C. Regalis

3 hours ago, C. Regalis said:

Thanks Mikey! I thought that might be it. When I called  Beulah with a line issue I had they hooked me up with him. The name "Steve Godshall" rang a bell with me.

I sent him a line that he welded a new loop on for me.  Unbelievably nice guy who really did right by me! (And so fast a turnaround, my head is spinning).

I love what he did on the line - couldn't be happier and can't say enough nice things about him!

He certainly is a super nice guy. Very knowledgeable, easy to work with and great service.

SF

4 hours ago, C. Regalis said:

While we're on the subject, my Out Front 12' 9" is marked 550 grains ( The guy that built it was pretty smart...)

There is, but it is going to vary based on fly, leader and the tip. 

Part of the "fun" is getting it dialed just right- the difference is pretty dramatic, all of a sudden you think you've won the lottery!    

7 hours ago, C. Regalis said:

Hi CR

I fish 550 grains on the Mark I. I guess it is the sweet spot. I would not go below 500 unless the conditions were very nice. Upper limit I would suggest a total of 600 grains. Remember a 10 wt single hander  is 280. So 600 is a big pay load.

For the past nigh on three weeks I have been bashing the hell out of the Mark II.

This rod really needs 600 grains to 650 to make it sing. As I do not have such a line it was 550 grains. Get the casting arc right and a straight line rod path With the light line and it flies but it is not easy. The Mark I is such a sweet rod for most situations. The II needs more skill and lots of usage to maintain form especially under lined.

Mike