pressphotog

July 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

389 posts in this topic

Couple fat cocktail blues early this am..hitting the sand now for some topwater action fingers crossed...love my bluefish

5 hours ago, Goldy said:

Ive been checking the snapper grounds for jr.  In all seriousness the ones i have visited in years past have no life. Im hoping im a week early.  Snapper tournament 8/13. 
i made two trips to two different areas in different parts of tide looking for them.   

i was thinking about this a little. Last summer  same thing. Same area. Not a lot of snappers. Maybe that was a precursor to this spring which had zero blues for me. My theory is they swim to the rivers and spawn.  I could be wrong but maybe thats why im not seeing them like i did in years past.   Im in parts of the river. 
snappers are extemely important to the lifecycle of lots of fish.   Im hoping they get thick in the areas i usually visit.  

I have been prospecting all summer with some tiny lures that will catch the smallest snapper and haven't run into them yet. Not super surprising because at least by my grounds mostly just been bunker hanging around. I am not sure what the snappers focus on before they are big enough to just eat normal sized silversides and bay anchovy. 

26 mins ago, JerseyJeb said:

I have been prospecting all summer with some tiny lures that will catch the smallest snapper and haven't run into them yet. Not super surprising because at least by my grounds mostly just been bunker hanging around. I am not sure what the snappers focus on before they are big enough to just eat normal sized silversides and bay anchovy. 

I saw some quick flashes yesterday of really small snappers but not thick.   I usually use a killies trap. This year first year with throw net for peanuts for my son.  I know where there are snappers but this area should have them by now.  Il give it another two weeks in this area.  If they arent thick again this year it means the blues are def in trouble

Posted (edited)

Biology

• Bluefish live up to 12 years.
  • They grow fast, up to 31 pounds and 39 inches.
  • They are able to reproduce at age 2, when they’re 15 to 20 inches in length.
  • Depending on their size, females can have between 400,000 and 2 million eggs.
  • Bluefish spawn multiple times in spring and summer.
  • They exhibit feeding behavior called the “bluefish blitz,” where large schools of big fish attack bait fish near the surface, churning the water like a washing machine. They feed voraciously on their prey, eating almost anything they can catch and swallow.
  • Bluefish have razor-sharp teeth and shearing jaws that allow them to ingest large parts, increasing the maximum size of the prey they can eat.
  • They eat squid and fish, particularly menhaden and smaller fish such as silversides.
  • Sharks, tunas, and billfishes are typically the only fish predators large and fast enough to prey on adult bluefish.
  • Bluefish make up a major part of the diet of shortfin mako sharks and are also very important in the diets of swordfish.
  • Oceanic birds prey 
  • Spawning occurs off the mid-Atlantic coast during summer. 

Saw snappers in the way back marsh on spearing by Port Monmouth. Very small like 4" very active. Hope this helps.

Edited by saltyh2ofly

2 hours ago, Loudog said:

It’s a custom that I built on an MHX blank from Mudhole, rated to 1/4 oz.  Split grips, fuji seat, CRB micro guides.  Love it!  Paired up with a Shimano Sedona 1000, 8lb braid, and 15lb mono leader.  It’s one of my go to outfits for fluke in the back and front in calm conditions.  

I like to maximize my limited time and typically go for numbers. Getting the occasional keeper is a bonus and the rod is more than capable if I use a low angle while fighting fish.  I do well with small 1”-  3” Gulp minnows on 1/32 - 1/4 oz jig heads or hook and splitshot setups, same weight bucktails, and small plugs and metals. Basically, it’s the spin fishing equivalent of fly fishing which I also do.  Give it a go!

That’s awesome.  Very cool you built your own rod.   Thanks for the info.  

52 mins ago, Goldy said:

I saw some quick flashes yesterday of really small snappers but not thick.   I usually use a killies trap. This year first year with throw net for peanuts for my son.  I know where there are snappers but this area should have them by now.  Il give it another two weeks in this area.  If they arent thick again this year it means the blues are def in trouble

Two weeks ago they were at an inlet. Very thick. Saw some guys come up with some 2in juvenile snappers with a seine out front last week.

On 7/15/2022 at 0:11 PM, Mr.Belmar said:

Fished out back the other morning 9:30 to 11:30. I caught 5 fluke and missed another 1 on chartreuse gulp. All were small but they sucked those grubs down like candy. I did see some nice size snappers 5" or so.

8 hours ago, Goldy said:

Ive been checking the snapper grounds for jr.  In all seriousness the ones i have visited in years past have no life. Im hoping im a week early.  Snapper tournament 8/13. 
i made two trips to two different areas in different parts of tide looking for them.   

i was thinking about this a little. Last summer  same thing. Same area. Not a lot of snappers. Maybe that was a precursor to this spring which had zero blues for me. My theory is they swim to the rivers and spawn.  I could be wrong but maybe thats why im not seeing them like i did in years past.   Im in parts of the river. 
snappers are extemely important to the lifecycle of lots of fish.   Im hoping they get thick in the areas i usually visit.  

Blues spawn off shore, not in the rivers.

2 hours ago, Goldy said:

over the decades I have noticed the biomass of bluefish is cyclical. Back in the mid 1960s there was a huge drop in bluefish and it coincided with the massive growth of the blowfish at the NJ shore.  Blowfish for two years were so thick party boats had trouble going out the inlet as their props were hitting the vast numbers of blowfish and causing the boats to vibrate really bad.  The blowfish just about cleaned out the food supplies in the Barnegat bay as well.  If you were in a rowboat and put your hand in the water you could expect to get bitten by an adult blowfish.  Bluefish took a real hit those two years.  The third year the blowfish numbers started to drop as the bluefish got wise and started to feed on the small blowfish.  Year 4 and snappers were thick and the food like small baitfish came back as well.  Reports of blowfish keep coming in from the bay this year so I would watch and see if those numbers go up in the next year or two.  

1 hour ago, bbfish said:

Blues spawn off shore, not in the rivers.

With climate change anything can happen.  

Did annual pilgrimage, with some of the boys from work, to a non descript OC Island with some erosion problems last evening. They were there along with dozens of others. They had not caught anything, chunking bunker, and clams. I down sized and gave it a go with a 3/4 oz white bucktail an flat jig. Tipped them with some gulp, hoping for fluke. It was a long shot because of water temperature, however the cocktail blue family must have been having a party in the trough because they were very accommodating on ripping the gulp up. Switched up to cheaper bait and had a good time.

Threw some live snakes, after dark. I have to refine my technique on these Circle hooks (Translation: I Foxtrotted up a lot). Had a couple of big strikes and dropped a few in the wash. Smalls were only 20 ft off beach and the larger ones were out behind the bar by the breaking wave.

Fished out front central moco one hour befor hi tide one hour after high tide .. a big fat skunk … hilo with gulp , hobkins, buck tails no fish … cops were out stopping people bringing coolers on to the beech … life guards  and cops on the folks who think they are entitled to swim without badges and or in un protected areas … seals were around … eye candy was outstanding …lol lol lol 

57 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

Fished out front central moco one hour befor hi tide one hour after high tide .. a big fat skunk … hilo with gulp , hobkins, buck tails no fish … cops were out stopping people bringing coolers on to the beech … life guards  and cops on the folks who think they are entitled to swim without badges and or in un protected areas … seals were around … eye candy was outstanding …lol lol lol 

Odd this time of year..