pressphotog

July 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

389 posts in this topic

On 7/27/2022 at 6:15 PM, BillN said:

Covered a fair bit of MoCo beach today.

The 12 inch fluke biomass remains heathy, and the 15 inch fluke biomass also seems strong.

Spanish Macs are around in numbers and good size, relating to hard structure and spitting up spearing. They come and they go.

Blues in the 8-10lb class are trailing the Macs.

Rays are here in numbers I’ve never seen before. Water was crystal clear. My 2500 class reel and light jigging set up were not up to the task of stopping or turning them, but I like the drag on my new reel.

This morning from being in the kayak, I saw much of what you saw yesterday. Differences were the blues were on fast moving bunker and saw very little Spanish  macs today as opposed to yesterday when they were all over. Did have a 2 1/2 to 3ft brown shark hit a sp minnow that I was trolling and even managed to get the lure back. Good amount of life out there today, pleasantly surprised.

Are spacks fun to catch? I know they'll be around in numbers where I'm moving never caught one before 

7 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

Are spacks fun to catch? I know they'll be around in numbers where I'm moving never caught one before 

Yes. 

Fished the incoming out front this eve with my 7 year old son. Only had a bit over an hour. Got one around 14-15” fluke on the teaser. Let him reel in after I casted too for a bit. Time well spent. 

I have fished the surf for years for fluke while on vacation. I have never fished for or caught a striper though. Going to be in town for 10 days. How do you fish the bugs to catch stripers. Even a small schoolie would be fun at this point. Thanks 

Late report from last night. Had to be in OC yesterday evening. I decided to stop by the sand and do some recon. Checked out a stretch I haven’t been to in a while and it turned out it was bug city. There were big nuggets up and down the stretch and so easy to dig up. Wet a line for only 15-20 min at dusk and landed 1 25” cookie cutter schoolie before I was summoned by The Empress.

This AM I decided to go back to the same stretch as last night. Light wind at my back, middle of incoming, flat ocean but some nice surf action. Water pleasantly cool and clean. After the sun was up, there was a boil way out with birds and splashes. Other than that, that was the only life seen. Unfortunately, lost a fish at the lip and had a bunch of fluke nibbles and hang ons. I finally succumbed to the Skunk. Might be back out this evening and head more north.

Morning 5-9 shift, MoCo. Beautiful morning with a light west. Water was pretty clear where I was, much more so than a few days ago. A couple of short fluke mixed in with many, many sea robins. Got pretty annoying after a while. Spearing in the wash. Saw a couple of guys trying to dig for bugs in vain, nothing on my stretch of beach. 

Fished a stretch of sand I haven't been on for a while and the only thing to greet me there was the skunk.  Bugs were scarce so alternated between the bugs and the plastics, but they didn't want either one.  Had a few fluke taps but nothing found the hook.  Water cooled again from the south wind.  Won't be back at that spot in the morning.

With south winds did not want to deal with a fly rod casting- Broke out a old 6.6 spin rod and old Mitchel reel. A couble  short fluke, sea robbin and surprisingly a shark that took my closuer.  Gave it a 15 minute battle to try and get him up on sand on a wave ride but eventully the 10 pound test tippet broke or wore through. About 4 foot. Saw a bunch of others.  

Moco, out front, from high this am to low this pm.  Very light winds most of the day, water pretty clear, small bait in tight (wasn't sure what it was).  Caught a handful of fluke up to 15" and a sea robin, all on a pink/white half-and-half fly.  Heard of and saw a lot of sea robins being caught.  Not as many rays where I was today compared to last weekend.    

Counting on the traditional summer light west wind at dawn took 6 weight back At before sunrise- managed a couple small fluke, some actually big sea Robins- water clear and got colder overnight- still a few small sharks cruising- if I keep seeing them may have to break out 8wgt and start to target 

1 Bass on a small pencil at 7:15 then a pick of blues to 25 or so inches until I left. Out Front Ocean County...spanish jumping...tons of happy bait..Birds working out past the bar.Tons of small bait in the wash. Rays everywhere.

Lots of life out there this morning with bunker in casting range and small bait moving around.  Only problem is there was little to go after to put on the hook.  Bunker were in happy mode and there terns we're only occasionally picking.  Bunker was so thick you couldn't avoid snagging them.  Did finally get one small striper on the way out with the bugs.  Will give it a rest tomorrow with the crowded beaches.

Encountered the same situation as MC55 in SoMoCo.  Bunker pods everywhere with dolphins and the occasional unknown bigger predatory splashes.  Pretty sure I saw at least one Spanish mackerel take flight. Tried a small bucktail  and small Gulp minnows at the lip.  Had one small fish, likely a Fluke, come unbuttoned.  Skunkfest for @sjsurf2014 and me.  He had 1-2 swipes at his topwater offerings but no dice.  Beautiful morning weatherwise.

I found tons of spearing and peanuts off a NY bay coast. Unreal cocktail blitz that lasted about 4 hours, with moments of absolute chaos. Landed countless blues. A welcomed sight with how slow RB has been on fluke since the red tide.