pressphotog

July 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

389 posts in this topic

My spouse has decided she likes crabbing, so spent about 90 mins out back in MoCo this afternoon and put an even dozen good sized keepers into the steamer pot and tossed back 3 times as many more shorts and egg loaded sooks.

Not a bad way to spend a bit of time, and super tasty. No boat, no pots, just hand lines, a net and overlooked public access.

(Also, tons of small bait and snapper blues slashing about).

Not reading the whole July thread - for once. LOL 

Lost & broke gear for little reward so far this year. But… me & my 12 yr old got on some flatfish last Sunday. Friend of a friend let us shack up in SJ & we hit a dock along the sodbanks bright & early the next morning.  

Three way swivel rig felt kid friendly so I rigged us both up that way, 1 OZ, live minnows/killies. 

Was questioning my plan but it took an hour to dial it in. Had to hook them back closer to the tail to keep ‘em swimming near the bottom.

Missed a few hits but all told we each caught 3-4 shorts and I grabbed one just over 17” for the dinner table. But the memories & pictures are the keepers. 

35170F79-98B2-4FFC-A9A1-9262FFB36026.jpeg

I forgot that the photo above was the first one on a sloppy experimental rig but I highly suggest a standard 3 way method for you dads of youngins. 

braid to leader knot to preserve your rod tip guides! 

3 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

You had a great trip. I never caught one of these yet but the most impressive southern inshore fish I found so far was the redfish. Honestly ok with the slot limit on that since I'm not terribly impressed with the flavor on them anyways but I did take some back to NJ when I was down in SC in December and made a hell of a chowder 

Thanks Cane’. Definitely next on my list. Planning on getting down to the Carolinas next year. 

Got out for the evening dusk bite. Beautiful weather and sky. Light SSW wind, water cool and had a really nice hue with good surf action. Sweep continues to be right to left. After noticing the bait washed up this AM, I mainly stayed with the plastic. Only had one pissed off chunky football schoolie on the tsunami sand eel. Nothing on the bugs. 

Another nice sky this AM. Bikini bunny selfies came with it. Anyways, no wind, middle of incoming, water temp is up, decent surf action, flat ocean. Walked on the sand and immediately saw 2 pods of bunker right outside the bar, lazily moving south. Every once in while there was a blow up. Stayed with the plastic. If I had the heavy artillery and plugs, I could’ve hit the outer edge of the pods. Early strike right after sunrise on the tsunami eel with a chunky rat. Had another fluke hit soon after but nothing. Made a move south after a while. At the end of the outing, I had a decent whack but it was a swing and a miss. Ah well, narrowly avoiding the skunk again. 

11 hours ago, EricDice said:

I forgot that the photo above was the first one on a sloppy experimental rig but I highly suggest a standard 3 way method for you dads of youngins. 

braid to leader knot to preserve your rod tip guides! 

Glad you guys had a good time and caught too! Great stuff!

I still use a 3 way and in zero way shape or form have anything negative to add. I enjoy kids fishing topics, since I have two of mynl own. Want to add that for kids... and the adults. Fishing either a drop shot style (with or without dropper loop, do what you want, single hook above a weight) or the traditional Hi-lo or hi-lo w/bucktail on bottom... keeping everything in 1 single line or plane for lack of better description, really helps keep hooks in good position with the kids as well! Something I've noticed. Keeping weight on the bottom helps with rod/line/lure control and teaching such/learning on their own.

Add an array of what you used minnows, plus squid straps, fish bites, gulp(alll kinds) and letting the kids choose works wonders for more than one reason. We pick the hammer(the setups), they drive the nail(choosing lures and colors to go on setups)! So much fun!

OC south to north sweep where short flounder still seem somewhat plentiful. Fun on light setups! On both bucktail and top hook w/teaser

Covered a fair bit of MoCo beach today.

The 12 inch fluke biomass remains heathy, and the 15 inch fluke biomass also seems strong.

Spanish Macs are around in numbers and good size, relating to hard structure and spitting up spearing. They come and they go.

Blues in the 8-10lb class are trailing the Macs.

Rays are here in numbers I’ve never seen before. Water was crystal clear. My 2500 class reel and light jigging set up were not up to the task of stopping or turning them, but I like the drag on my new reel.

Out back tonight with my 7 year old. Lots of bait in the water. Incoming high. He loved seeing the bait and another big old hermit crab that was sporting a few barnacles. Got skunked but damn it felt good to be back fishing. My gut told me to go out front. Perhaps I’ll do that tomorrow Eve.

Glad the t-storms moved out before sunrise.  Water was a bit off color early from the rain but was clearing as the tide came in.  Also a bit cooler than yesterday with less surf action.  Bugs were tough to find but dug enough to find 3 in the mid 20 inch range.  The bunker that was around yesterday was nowhere to be found.  Wind forecast to shift to the west so we should see warmer water by morning.

On 7/25/2022 at 0:24 PM, nam1969 said:

A pork roll, egg, and cheese takes the sting out of any skunk! God's gift to humanity and 

cholesterol doctors.

Worth the 250 mile drive up from Virginia!