pressphotog

July 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

389 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, BillHoo said:

In MoCo out front this morning 6 AM, throwing silver Deadly Dick into the surf.  Waves a bit choppy.  Wind kept drifting my casts way to the left.  Forgot to take my sand spike out of the car, otherwise I would have also thrown out a kingfish rig.

Gave up after an hour.

Stopped at the Motor Lodge to get out of wet clothes and go across the road to fish the back.  Maybe 4 guys already there casting fluke rigs.  They were pulling up shorts on average one every 15 minutes as a group.  Individually, maybe one every half hour.

Nothing bit my top water casts.  I switched to a 1/4 inch jighead and 6 in Powerbait shad.  Called it quits around 8 to grab a porkroll, egg and cheese at a deli near the train station and go back to the Motor Lodge to log in to work and a few morning zoom calls.

Heading to central jersey at 11 to work remotely in a local library somewhere before meeting up with a tenant todo a move-out inspection of  the property ang get the keys from them.

A pork roll, egg, and cheese takes the sting out of any skunk! God's gift to humanity and 

cholesterol doctors.

12 mins ago, DeeMonee said:

Phew, back from a great week with the fam to The blistering Garden State late the other night. Rounded off the week with a bunch of snook, jacks and small snappers. Lost a nice tarpon that snapped my jig head hook. It was getting bent and straightened all week but finally gave out. They seemed to like the eyes and color for some reason. Anyway, it’s good to be back despite the heat. Got out this AM to a beautiful cool beach. It was actually on the chilly side when I first got there. End of incoming to the beginning of the dropping, nice suds, steady S wind, decent right to left sweep, clean cold water. Only brought the bug rod just to ease back into things. Had a skunk saving 22” schoolie and some pick ups and fluke nibbles. That’s it for my first outing here in a week. May not get out much in the next several weeks because that thing called work, ah well. Here’s my last 26” snook this past Saturday. I have to say, pound for pound, our Striped friends fight harder and better. 

992B59AF-0CA3-4386-9890-6A6FF71311FD.jpeg

Welcome back. Mike's at home sulking over the loss of a real nice fish last week! Claims it's grandfather duties, but I suspect low level fish loss syndrome. Anyway, the Committee ruled that you are entitled to 1/2 of his daily allotment of bass till he returns. ETA Wednesday. 

Word of advice; do NOT catch the one he lost! Grave consequences if you do.

Out bright and early yesterday morning, Monmouth County. Bucktail and Gulp. Five fluke in three hours, one of which was a 19 inch keeper.  The bikini selfie mob was a nice bonus as the sun came up. 

On 7/24/2022 at 8:00 AM, bdowning said:

I have the same rod. Good to know it can handle something like that. :cool:

+1

55 mins ago, Skolmann said:

+1

Add another to that list. Fluke, blues and stripers up to 38" on the 8' model. From pencils to bucktails or small metal lips to epoxy jigs. Its performed really well for me so far

Been a while since I've been out front. Lot of freshwater fishing lately.

Its soon time to go take a look and bring back a skunk for my hunts. Ill gladly do so if thats whats needed to see the horizon...

Hopefully I'll get lucky and find a slimy or scaled one on my journey for a bonus!

Got in a little fluking ahead of the front and scratched a short.

As the tide came in and the front pushed closer, big schools of bunker pushed in, with cocktails on them. Had one bitten off lure and countless snagged 6-9 inch bunker.

7C6F8806-15B2-441B-8F1C-9BDED53DA6A9.jpeg

Was out prospecting some rocks after finding my own bait for blackfish and triggers. Pretty much went from central to south NJ and had to say the season opener should be good depending what rocks you choose. Had them up to 17” and steady action. No triggers yet and that’s most likely a water temp thing. I went swimming with the kids on the ocean side at a spot and man that was really cold today. Gotta be low 60’s easy. After the morning moved along the water where I was at erupted into that washer machine blitzing of small blues for about 30-45. Fun on the light tackle. Noticed it was more difficult getting the sand fleas of good size. Finding the crabs is just that thing you gotta know where to go and I ain’t gonna tell y’all haha. Gonna leave the toggies alone until the opener and have my spots and what was holding. That wind was ripping today. Makes you deaf after a while in the ears.

I didn’t fish today, but a buddy of mine took The water temp in the surf this morning- a nice balmy 59 degrees! July upwelling… crazy 

9 hours ago, Mr.Belmar said:

I didn’t fish today, but a buddy of mine took The water temp in the surf this morning- a nice balmy 59 degrees! July upwelling… crazy 

I was gonna say it was pretty darn cold and I wasn’t wearing a wetsuit haha. Can definitely see why the ocean bite is pretty darn rough to come by during the upwelling events especially this month. With all the river and bay temps colliding with that cold water, it was like a horror film of fog at times. 

1 hour ago, BillN said:

MoCo, out front.

The 12 inch fluke biomass is very healthy.

I concur with that report and it is also very healthy MoCo, out back as well.

Not much going on here. Nice AM. Steady N wind, end of incoming, water remains clean and cool. Great surf action and conditions but the water temps might still be an issue. Saw a couple of anchovies/spearing washed up and someone said they saw a washed up sand eel. Nothing on bugs and switched over to the small keitech and teaser. Just had 1 short fluke on the keitech to keep the skunk away and ran into our local salty fly dude. He had a nice fish on the clouser. Will try to get out this afternoon.

On 7/25/2022 at 0:12 PM, DeeMonee said:

Phew, back from a great week with the fam to The blistering Garden State late the other night. Rounded off the week with a bunch of snook, jacks and small snappers. Lost a nice tarpon that snapped my jig head hook. It was getting bent and straightened all week but finally gave out. They seemed to like the eyes and color for some reason. Anyway, it’s good to be back despite the heat. Got out this AM to a beautiful cool beach. It was actually on the chilly side when I first got there. End of incoming to the beginning of the dropping, nice suds, steady S wind, decent right to left sweep, clean cold water. Only brought the bug rod just to ease back into things. Had a skunk saving 22” schoolie and some pick ups and fluke nibbles. That’s it for my first outing here in a week. May not get out much in the next several weeks because that thing called work, ah well. Here’s my last 26” snook this past Saturday. I have to say, pound for pound, our Striped friends fight harder and better. 

992B59AF-0CA3-4386-9890-6A6FF71311FD.jpeg

You had a great trip. I never caught one of these yet but the most impressive southern inshore fish I found so far was the redfish. Honestly ok with the slot limit on that since I'm not terribly impressed with the flavor on them anyways but I did take some back to NJ when I was down in SC in December and made a hell of a chowder