pressphotog

July 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

389 posts in this topic

Yes, agree 100% the ODM DNA 8 footer is a work horse.  Two weeks after purchasing, came across a large school of blues (10-12 lbs)  lasted about 2 hrs. My arms were tired, no problem landing these fish with this rod. Good luck !

5 - 9 shift this morning MoCo. Beautiful morning before things started to heat up. Water a little dirtier than when I was out a few days ago. Too many short fluke to count, couldn’t hit the magic numbers. Every single one hit the teaser. A guy landed and safely released a ray and had some sharks come in very close. One took a run at a bait school that was like a missile in the water. Saw a blue jump here and there but not too much activity on that front. Small bait present. Left as the crowds showed up to start melting in the sun. 

17 hours ago, JohnnyK said:

Got a ray on bugs this morning. Thought it was a nice bass until I saw it upside down in the breaker and thought I might land it.

Then I think it realized it was hooked and headed east and the leader popped.

Not sure if they were chasing bait or bugs, but saw some surfing up the waves in the wash.

Yup, was about to launch the yak at the beach early yesterday morning and a ray came flying out of the water about 10 feet out. Spanish Macs were real active right before the sun came up then they disappeared. Some of the other yakers were saying that some of the bunker schools when you could find them had good size blues on them. Flunking sucked for the short time I was out.

33 mins ago, BillN said:

Cow Nose Rays: 2

billN: 0

Lol that's what I was saying. Bass bite sucked, one 20" in 7 hours, so I was actually hoping to get another chance.

2 hours ago, JMB said:

Yup, was about to launch the yak at the beach early yesterday morning and a ray came flying out of the water about 10 feet out. Spanish Macs were real active right before the sun came up then they disappeared. Some of the other yakers were saying that some of the bunker schools when you could find them had good size blues on them. Flunking sucked for the short time I was out.

Saw the same yesterday. Spanish macs jumping 40' off the beach right before sunrise, then a school of rays blew through the bait. Crazy how fast the rays were.

Fished last night last 2 hours outgoing, first hour incoming. MOCO inside.  Never really expect much this time of year... Found lots of small bait and some in the 5 in. Range..spearing and p nuts most prevalent but lots of other fry that could be almost anything. Also thought I saw a 5 inch or so sea bass.. caught one bass around 23 inches. Small paddle tail fished slow and deep.

3 hours ago, nam1969 said:

I can't believe that it will take you till Wednesday to recover from the trauma of losing that fish! I thought you were a lot tougher than that. There are counselors who specialize in fish loss trauma. The Committee has a list available, but I'd be a little leery of that list considering two of the Committee members are under investigation for kickbacks!

BTW, I thought you were going to get new line on that reel.

Bob, the bug rod didn't need the new braid which is only a couple months old, was just my stupid heavy hand on the drag.  As for the fish loss trauma, nothing a bottle of 12 year old scotch can't fix.  On grandparent duty next few days so the fish can rest easy.

4 hours ago, gcjeep14 said:

Yes, agree 100% the ODM DNA 8 footer is a work horse.  Two weeks after purchasing, came across a large school of blues (10-12 lbs)  lasted about 2 hrs. My arms were tired, no problem landing these fish with this rod. Good luck !

I have this rod as well. It has a strong backbone.. gave it several good workouts with the big fish this spring.  Also love the way it throws the smaller stuff I like to fish this time of year. Paired it with a 5000 saragossa.  

3 hours ago, JimK said:

I have this rod as well. It has a strong backbone.. gave it several good workouts with the big fish this spring.  Also love the way it throws the smaller stuff I like to fish this time of year. Paired it with a 5000 saragossa.  

Off topic response, just a quick question. Would you recommend that rod for throwing smaller plugs and lead heads with paddle tails out front in late Nov/ early December? I need something to throw smaller plugs that time of the year when smaller bait is dominant, like crystal minnows and small mag darters.

18 mins ago, plugchucker said:

Off topic response, just a quick question. Would you recommend that rod for throwing smaller plugs and lead heads with paddle tails out front in late Nov/ early December? I need something to throw smaller plugs that time of the year when smaller bait is dominant, like crystal minnows and small mag darters.

Absolutely.

Posted (edited)

Break out the clambrellas.

clambrella.jpg

clam_blitz.jpg

Edited by bdowning

Posted (edited)

In MoCo out front this morning 6 AM, throwing silver Deadly Dick into the surf.  Waves a bit choppy.  Wind kept drifting my casts way to the left.  Forgot to take my sand spike out of the car, otherwise I would have also thrown out a kingfish rig.

Gave up after an hour.

Stopped at the Motor Lodge to get out of wet clothes and go across the road to fish the back.  Maybe 4 guys already there casting fluke rigs.  They were pulling up shorts on average one every 15 minutes as a group.  Individually, maybe one every half hour.

Nothing bit my top water casts.  I switched to a 1/4 inch jighead and 6 in Powerbait shad.  Called it quits around 8 to grab a porkroll, egg and cheese at a deli near the train station and go back to the Motor Lodge to log in to work and a few morning zoom calls.

Heading to central jersey at 11 to work remotely in a local library somewhere before meeting up with a tenant todo a move-out inspection of  the property ang get the keys from them.

Edited by BillHoo

Posted (edited)

Phew, back from a great week with the fam to The blistering Garden State late the other night. Rounded off the week with a bunch of snook, jacks and small snappers. Lost a nice tarpon that snapped my jig head hook. It was getting bent and straightened all week but finally gave out. They seemed to like the eyes and color for some reason. Anyway, it’s good to be back despite the heat. Got out this AM to a beautiful cool beach. It was actually on the chilly side when I first got there. End of incoming to the beginning of the dropping, nice suds, steady S wind, decent right to left sweep, clean cold water. Only brought the bug rod just to ease back into things. Had a skunk saving 22” schoolie and some pick ups and fluke nibbles. That’s it for my first outing here in a week. May not get out much in the next several weeks because that thing called work, ah well. Here’s my last 26” snook this past Saturday. I have to say, pound for pound, our Striped friends fight harder and better. 

992B59AF-0CA3-4386-9890-6A6FF71311FD.jpeg

Edited by DeeMonee