pressphotog

July 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

389 posts in this topic

Best I could do this morning was one little guy of 22 inches on the bugs.  Had one other pickup and drop.  Nothing on the plastics or teaser.  Good conditions with the surf picking up and the water staying cool with the south wind.  Did see some small bait get harassed for a short time just before getting the little guy.

19 hours ago, Mallard1100 said:

Last 2 days in the wash. Ocean county out front. Bite turns on and off but managed a 20 incher off the beach today around lunch time. 

6AB38680-58C0-4E82-BBAA-BC5234DE0D85.jpeg

7C9D5C0E-20DD-4A3B-9C8B-6D39DF33DC0A.jpeg

Fish caught using rope don't count!  :D

Back on the beach ocean county late morning. Tried for fluke again with a  few misses and one short. The surf and wind churned up and cocktail/snapper blues had a few huge schools of bay anchovies pinned up on the beach. The  rough surf pushing them on the sand gave the sea gulls a feast. Had fun with the small blues for a while tipping a jig head with bait that was washing up on the sand. A little girl was collecting bait for me so she got to reel a few in and had a blast. Fun day. 

went back out front to look for fluke after dinner. It was so damm hot no way I was going for a run- water felt great- fishing was terrible- big south to north sweep and water dirty up from two days ago. Still felt nice to be wading out to sand bar and getting cool.  

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, jerseystriper said:

went back out front to look for fluke after dinner. It was so damm hot no way I was going for a run- water felt great- fishing was terrible- big south to north sweep and water dirty up from two days ago. Still felt nice to be wading out to sand bar and getting cool.  

Watch out with the wading especially in the evenings.  Thats prime time for the sharks to come in real close for their evening feeding.  I always fished this time of year for shark at night using chunks of bunker drifting just past the lip or a couple yards out.  Nothing freaks out the late swimming bathers as much as when you haul in a 5 or 6 foot shark near where they are taking a night dip in the surf

Edited by bill cunnane
add more

On 7/20/2022 at 4:23 PM, adams54 said:

Say cool and play it safe it's hot out there. One of my chickens died today from the heat. 

Saw something on the news yesterday that the beach sand will reach 125 to 150.  That doesn't feel good on the feet.  

Yea- saw a 4 foot or so shark the other day- have no idea what kind- I’ve spent so many decades surfing or fishing in ocean I just accept that it’s their home, I’m just a trespasser and don’t get worked up over it- when I’m surfing and hundreds of rays are around that freaks me out. 

43 mins ago, fishless said:

Saw something on the news yesterday that the beach sand will reach 125 to 150.  That doesn't feel good on the feet.  

I believe that. There were times the sand was so hot I've had to sprint through it. Not easy when hauling a ton of beach gear. My son would need shoes otherwise he couldn't do it. 150 degrees for sure. Now we go after hrs when things cool off.

55 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

bring the fish in and cook'em right there........ouch.

Pre-breaded too. :naughty:

2 hours ago, fishless said:

That's one of the reasons why I still wear waders in the summer.  The other is my wife gets pissed if I come home with sand on my clothes and it gets into the washing machine.  Don't want to eff up the gears/belts in there.  

3 hours ago, adams54 said:

I believe that. There were times the sand was so hot I've had to sprint through it. Not easy when hauling a ton of beach gear. My son would need shoes otherwise he couldn't do it. 150 degrees for sure. Now we go after hrs when things cool off.

and make sure you have shoes on when you get off the beach and set foot on the road.  That blacktop will be soft from the heat.  Nothing burns like hot tar on skin. 

2 hours ago, Spigola said:

That's one of the reasons why I still wear waders in the summer.  The other is my wife gets pissed if I come home with sand on my clothes and it gets into the washing machine.  Don't want to eff up the gears/belts in there.  

Do you hug the fish and roll around in the sand with them?  Or just hump them like @Eric_S

41 mins ago, cartopper said:

Do you hug the fish and roll around in the sand with them?  Or just hump them like @Eric_S

I guess you never had waves break on you.

1 hour ago, Spigola said:

I guess you never had waves break on you.

Only having fun. . . Had a wave hit me back in the 80’s, still washing sand out of my hair.