pressphotog

July 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

389 posts in this topic

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas.

A specific spot is too much information!
It's not like telling a friend or two, posting it here is telling thousands. Doing so only creates crowds, garbage, and loss of our spots.

For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are..........
Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.

County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in separate threads.

Out back MoCo beach date with the lady this morning as we finally had a Friday with the little one at daycare. She let me fish anyway. Kept pulling short fluke and waiting for one to hit the magic numbers, but none did. Ended up with around nine up to 16”. About half went for the bare pink teaser.  Crystal clear water with a lot of weeds, sometimes frustratingly so. First trip truly targeting fluke this year for me, so it was fun. 

Got out for an hour or 2 on the incoming. Bassy water. Landed 2, lost 2 and a couple of bumps.. One of the ones I lost had some shoulders to it and treated me to some aerial acrobatics before it somehow threw the hook. Not much eye candy where I was.

Good variety of bait out back in Monmouth, looked like spearing and anchovies. Was also catching a bunch of 2 inch bunker on a sabiki. 
Also while I am sure this will be a scourge rather than something good for most of you, came upon a great school of  small seabass from shore, enjoy fishing for them on light tackle. 

Took the skunk tonight.   I did have something interesting happen.  Seen some disturbance in the water near the wash.   It was still light enough to see but too dark to really make out what it was.  A bather still on the beach also was like "what is that!"  It was pushing a LOT of water.  I casted a few times with the bucktail and no takers and then all of a sudden in a flash it was shooting away with a purpose.   I am guess I had a shark at my feet though I cannot be certain.  That is the only explanation of what I saw. 

Night shift out back MoCo 11- 3a started in the way but nadda. Moved to same area as previous outings and ran into someone already there who thankfully shared the spot. Caught a few schoolies on an SP and a blue on a paddletail. Moved out front to practice my flea floating but no takers. Just like last week, as the tidal movement peaked, the fish stopped biting. Still cant figure it out. Little suface action and bait as well. 

4 hours ago, MVTee said:

Night shift out back MoCo 11- 3a started in the way but nadda. Moved to same area as previous outings and ran into someone already there who thankfully shared the spot. Caught a few schoolies on an SP and a blue on a paddletail. Moved out front to practice my flea floating but no takers. Just like last week, as the tidal movement peaked, the fish stopped biting. Still cant figure it out. Little suface action and bait as well. 

Give you credit.  I cant nightshift fish now. Too hot day and night

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

Give you credit.  I cant nightshift fish now. Too hot day and night

Thanks. The cursed south wind keeps me cool on the nights I fish, lol. And if I dont keep up a consistent pattern of fishing nights, my lovely wife might start asking questions. 

On 7/1/2022 at 11:27 PM, JerseyJeb said:

Good variety of bait out back in Monmouth, looked like spearing and anchovies. Was also catching a bunch of 2 inch bunker on a sabiki. 
Also while I am sure this will be a scourge rather than something good for most of you, came upon a great school of  small seabass from shore, enjoy fishing for them on light tackle. 

I love catching panfish sized sea bass on my 5’6” ultralight.  They’re tons of fun on tiny trout magnet jigs with 1” gulp minnows.  The occasional fluke on that rig are a blast as well.

11 hours ago, MVTee said:

It was nice meeting you and sharing a tide last night. Just some good ol fashioned July bassin’ in Jersey!!

5 hours ago, MVTee said:

Thanks. The cursed south wind keeps me cool on the nights I fish, lol. And if I dont keep up a consistent pattern of fishing nights, my lovely wife might start asking questions. 

Give ya credit.  I dont think i can chase residents in summer.  I would have to attach a portable ac unit. Hahah

I’ve heard people throw out the term “unfishable” and have always shook my head in disbelief. Well today I experienced it! So much salad out there this morning in ocean county!

While we piss/moan over photos of fish on the beach, please remember on this July 4 weekend it’s guys like this that allow us to do so. 

D8FF7E55-59FC-49E0-8564-E2D5F5CFDDD2.jpeg