luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - July 2022

Rate this topic

94 posts in this topic

Was vacationing in Delaware last week, was on the beach every day around sunrise. Caught a few bluefish, short flounder. Tons of spot. Crazy amount of kingfish. Quite a few 14" kings.

Long casts. Bloodworm fish bites with cut spot or just plain bloodworm it didn't really matter. Just got to pitch it far.

Wonderful weather, had the kids/grandkids with us all week. Fabulous!

On 7/20/2022 at 6:12 PM, MDsurffishing said:

In May it was an 8' wall, not so much now but with my lift and a slide-in it's a no-go! Plus the skeeter and flies are horrible because the salt marsh is right behind you

FXKu6mDXgAAzeT2.jpeg

I dug out and pulled a guy trying to leave the beach right there last year in a Highlander.   "A friggin Highlander?",  think I said that a dozen times as we were digging. 

1 hour ago, JaseB said:

I dug out and pulled a guy trying to leave the beach right there last year in a Highlander.   "A friggin Highlander?",  think I said that a dozen times as we were digging. 

Haha! probably didn't turn the "sand control" knob!

Posted (edited)

Windy but beautiful day on AI yesterday.  Kids and wife wanted to go to the beach so gave me an excuse to get lines in the water.  Steady SSW wind but flies were tolerable.  Lots of Spot on FBBWs, some skates, a very large ray and the catch of the day... a decent Whiting...on a 10/0 Owner circle hook with half a spot on it.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  Had the hook through the mouth and coming out around the gill plate.  I'm not sure how he even got the hook in there.  Should have snaped a pic. 

Southern Ray 2.jpg

Southern Ray 3.jpg

Edited by dj1975232

7 mins ago, dj1975232 said:

Windy but beautiful day on AI yesterday.  Kids and wife wanted to go to the beach so gave me an excuse to get lines in the water.  Steady SSW wind but flies were tolerable.  Lots of Spot on FBBWs, some skates, a very large ray and the catch of the day... a decent Whiting...on a 10/0 Owner circle hook with half a spot on it.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  Had the hook through the mouth and coming out around the gill plate.  I'm not sure how he even got the hook in there.  Should have snaped a pic. 

Southern Ray 2.jpg

Southern Ray 3.jpg

You should see the fish I catch on 8/0-10/0’s… once in FL I was sharking with a 10/0 and a 1/3 of an 18” mullet and I reeled up to leave and a jack, only about 6 inches, was hooked right in the corner of the mouth. And later last year I caught a whiting on a smaller chunk with and 8/0 while drum fishing on AI. Small fish seem to have big appetites haha. They somehow manage to get the hook in… where there’s a will there’s a way!

Posted (edited)

Got this off of Fish in OC:

Got a cool pic from Fenwick Tackle today of Tyler Adams who used a piece of cut kingfish to land this huge 41″ cobia from the beach in Ocean City.  It was a great catch and of legal length on top of it.

62e1755754d78_cobia2.jpg.78d937d1444b0dd69a7cd2b76d5e45c5.jpg

This is exciting to see. Can't believe it was caught from the flat, featureless OC beach. I call the OC beach (at least the southern part of it) "Skateland" because that's all that seems to be there, along with a good amount of sandbar sharks, smooth dogfish and the occasional ray. Rarely do I catch a bony, non-cartilaginous fish from the OC beach. With any luck we'll have more cobia showing up in the surf this year.

Edited by ProSkateFisherman

I’ve been laid up with a muscle spasm in my right shoulder so fishing has been tough. I did manage to go out last night and fish for an hour or so.  I used fake blood worms and a top/bottom king rig with 3oz in close. I got many hits that I missed.  I ended up catching  a small king fish. 
The bite was decent. I was fishing the OC beach in the 80s (not that this is a spot to be burned). I fished from 10-11pm. 
I may make it down to AI tomorrow if the family and my shoulder are willing.  If not, I’ll stay up here and fish when I can.

I’ll be down to fish AI in September and October if nothing else.  
Good luck and tight lines. 

Posted (edited)

I have not fished for 4 days now. My knees gave out 5 days of fishing AIMD and the back bay.  Plus the rain in the last few days.Leaving tomorrow for some Doctor appointments and I'' be back fishing from 8/4 to at least 2 to 3 weeks. Tight line , and leave me some fish till I get back. lol

Edited by hunter123

On 7/27/2022 at 1:45 PM, ProSkateFisherman said:

Got this off of Fish in OC:

62e1755754d78_cobia2.jpg.78d937d1444b0dd69a7cd2b76d5e45c5.jpg

This is exciting to see. Can't believe it was caught from the flat, featureless OC beach. I call the OC beach (at least the southern part of it) "Skateland" because that's all that seems to be there, along with a good amount of sandbar sharks, smooth dogfish and the occasional ray. Rarely do I catch a bony, non-cartilaginous fish from the OC beach. With any luck we'll have more cobia showing up in the surf this year.

You do realize the way to catch a cobia is to fish where there are lots of skates and rays.  Right?

2 hours ago, Kbetts said:

You do realize the way to catch a cobia is to fish where there are lots of skates and rays.  Right?

Now that you mention it I do remember them cruising around clinging to rays. So yes. First and only cobia I’ve seen in person was on a ray down in florida. Didn’t catch it though.

1 hour ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Now that you mention it I do remember them cruising around clinging to rays. So yes. First and only cobia I’ve seen in person was on a ray down in florida. Didn’t catch it though.

Clinging to a ray like a remora but on top????

22 mins ago, Frank2104 said:

I doubt clinging, they don’t have a “clinger” like remora, more like staying real close. 
FYI - the remora is the closest relative to the cobia!

48 mins ago, Frank2104 said:

Like catskill John said, just sticking close by.

Posted (edited)

Nice weekend down to the MD OSV,  Saturday morning kept everyone busy with Kingfish/Spot as soon as your line hit the water you had 2 on with kingfish rigs and fishbites.  By the afternoon you couldn't buy a bite and that continued on to Sunday.  The water was super clear on Sunday, wish I had brought my goggles and snorkel, I never pack them as it isn't worth it.

Edited by spinr0k