luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - July 2022

Rate this topic

94 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Possum said:

It takes a lot to get me going these days lol.

...... it didn’t take that much thanks to d-man :rav:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlueHwy said:

I know that AIMD closes because of the birds. Why does the south section of AIVA close? Birds? Seems like nesting birds would have closed it earlier.

The old CG station to the hook closes every March and remains closed till September for all the birds.  The entrance to the old CG station closes for the plover.  That use to have a set closure but the last few years they've pushed it till I think the eggs hatch and then I believe it's 30 days after that.

 

Hard to believe with the beating the beach took there were any nest left there to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hunter123 said:

 I hate rays, but if you surf fish, you get them. 

What? I love catching rays! They fight hard and are very entertaining. Easy to release IMO. Just put a wet towel on their tail and they are defenseless. Unhook, drag into deep enough water, and run back to shore. Or you could snip the barb off, and it will eventually regrow, but I don't like the idea of leaving them defenseless to predators. Great to catch especially on days when you can't get anything else to bite. But of course, to each their own. And I will admit I'd rather catch a big fat drum or bass over a large ray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

What? I love catching rays! They fight hard and are very entertaining. Easy to release IMO. Just put a wet towel on their tail and they are defenseless. Unhook, drag into deep enough water, and run back to shore. Or you could snip the barb off, and it will eventually regrow, but I don't like the idea of leaving them defenseless to predators. Great to catch especially on days when you can't get anything else to bite. But of course, to each their own. And I will admit I'd rather catch a big fat drum or bass over a large ray.

I liked sharks and rays when I was young. But at 72, No. But it's fishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hunter123 said:

I liked sharks and rays when I was young. But at 72, No. But it's fishing.

I’m not 72 and I’d rather catch nothing than deal with sharks and rays.  Maybe if it was an unusual species, but otherwise no thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have recent pics of the OSV beach down by the closure?  Has the high tides been as bad as it was?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No pictures but Thursday night the surf breached the beach and filled in the trough and stopped before it went back uphill to the driving area, tide was ~5' because of the moon. It should be OK this week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My buddy and I fished AIVA north osv on Sunday. Got there around 5:00pm. Planned to stay into the night. We were catching the usual mixed bag of panfish, rays, sharks. It was somewhere around 8:30pm, just starting to get dark. There was only one other truck on the beach and it was pretty far off in the distance. I had just got done sending a ray back when I saw someone hurriedly approaching. It appeared to be a young (12-14yo) boy...

 

Kid: We need help. We're stuck and the water's coming up quick.

Me: Did you air down?

Kid: No

Me: Do you have a tow rope?

Kid: No

Me: Do you have a shovel?

Kid: Yes

Me: Is it buried all the way to the frame?

Kid: (getting frantic) I DONT KNOW! WE NEED YOUR HELP!!! CAN YOU COME DOWN AND HELP US?!?!?

 

I looked down the beach. Their truck was backed down over the steep bank. It looked like the water was already getting close to the back tires. High tide wasn't until midnight. I knew this was pretty serious. I told my buddy to start pulling in his lines. We hopped in my truck and drove right down.

 

Dad was running around frantically trying to dig out. Mom was nervously circling the truck yelling suggestions. Daughter was standing by helpless.

 

Luckily it wasn't buried all the way to the frame. Probably the best thing he did was to get off the gas when it was obvious he was stuck. We got him aired down and my buddy helped dig some more while I hooked up the tow strap. Once the tires were clear, we started jamming anything under there that could give some traction. Beach mats, boogie boards, whatever they had. Dad was saying "lets go, lets go", so I hopped in the truck. Water was now kissing the back tires. I knew we needed to get him out of there before the sand was saturated. I pulled the strap snug and my buddy yelled "GO". I gave it gas, he gave it gas, and thankfully his truck popped right out of the holes. 

 

Not sure if Dad was mad, embarrassed, scared, in shock, or concerned that he still had to get out of the entrance (which is pretty intimidating), but he said very little and just wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible. Mom thanked us profusely. Ive seen tons of stuck vehicles in my day, but this was probably the closest to disaster Ive ever witnessed. His truck was toast if we weren't there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wheeler, That's great that you helped the family. God will reward you for that good deed. Tight lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

That's pretty crazy, I've seen the pictures of the ramp and will not be going back there.

Edited by MDsurffishing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good deed, but a real shame so many are aren't  prepared. Shovel, front/rear receivers, high lift jack, a couple 2'x2' 3/4" jack boards for support. Should be a routine extraction. Hope they learned a lesson about airing down and not backing down so far.

 

Does anyone owning a 4x4 even carry a high lift jack anymore, or is it because new vehicles lack any place to lift up a vehicle? I have frame mounted receivers on my Taco and can lift the hole damn end (front or rear) completely off the ground with a high lift if needed, and easily back-fill with a shovel if the situation arose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I changed a flat tire on the beach once.... Had Possum and CJ near me.... what gave me a flat was a horseshoe crab tail... yeah.

Anyway, id rather change a flat on the beach than on pavement.... got out my piece of 12x24x2 of wood, put factory jack on wood, supported truck weight (did not lift or jack it up)...simply dug out around flat tire/wheel.  changed flat.  filled in sand.  DONE.

 

Had transmission blow up down at km25, lucky for me had a fellow angler on here toe me to the pumps.  used supplies noted above for that.

 

Had battery die below the tide line in the VA side one spring, with incoming and weather going downhill... luckily those that i was fishing with earlier came back and gave me a jump (turned out the alt was going up).  that was a pucker moment

 

Never have gotten stuck, i air down, and in the few times that i haven't, if things started sinking, stop and air down.  Long story short, keep all the supplies JAL mentioned on hand, they are required, if not you can loose your vehicle or worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fished AIMD this morning. 4 nice size and fat Whiting, 2 nice size spot.  All caught with FBBW'a, all big enough to felay them.  Beach was fantastic today.  But the only problem I had was with the reels with power pro on them. Some of it was the PP and some of it was chity knots tied in hast to get back fishing. So, new line. two reels for whe 8' and 9' whiting rods ,I went with 20# Spider wire blue. Nobody carries Sufex 832 in bulk to put on reels. I'll keep the PP on the 6500 reel and tie better knots. Tight lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JAL said:

Good deed, but a real shame so many are aren't  prepared. Shovel, front/rear receivers, high lift jack, a couple 2'x2' 3/4" jack boards for support. Should be a routine extraction. Hope they learned a lesson about airing down and not backing down so far.

 

Does anyone owning a 4x4 even carry a high lift jack anymore, or is it because new vehicles lack any place to lift up a vehicle? I have frame mounted receivers on my Taco and can lift the hole damn end (front or rear) completely off the ground with a high lift if needed, and easily back-fill with a shovel if the situation arose.

 

I have everything except the high lift jack. I do have the standard jack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hunter123 said:

Fished AIMD this morning. 4 nice size and fat Whiting, 2 nice size spot.  All caught with FBBW'a, all big enough to felay them.  Beach was fantastic today.  But the only problem I had was with the reels with power pro on them. Some of it was the PP and some of it was chity knots tied in hast to get back fishing. So, new line. two reels for whe 8' and 9' whiting rods ,I went with 20# Spider wire blue. Nobody carries Sufex 832 in bulk to put on reels. I'll keep the PP on the 6500 reel and tie better knots. Tight lines.

BPS has bulk of 832 in 20, 30, and 65 in green and high vis yellow. Spider wire is good, don’t like their normal stealth braid (4 strand under 30), Ultra-cast is great though. 20 pound ultra-cast is one of my favorite braids ever, stood up to many tog rubbing up against rocks with no breaks. I’ve had similar experiences with PP, random break offs, weak spots, etc. PP’s not worth the trouble IMO. Sounds like you had a good day. Hope you don’t have any more braid trouble. Tight lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.