luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - July 2022

Rate this topic

94 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, GoBow said:

Think the markers are for kilometers (km), not miles. 

Seem to recall there's a 16 km marker near the OSV entrance/exit.  So 16 to 21 is 5 km; or, about 3 miles or so...

they are for KM. John was right 21.5 km is about 13 miles .  But your right , it starts way before the legal osv entrance.

Yea, its about 3 miles, 145 trucks.  No thanks.  Outrageous they get all of our money from osv passes and for the summer visitors they close 75% of our beach.  I should shut up, don't want to get Possum going on this one.   

39 mins ago, d-man said:

Yea, its about 3 miles, 145 trucks.  No thanks.  Outrageous they get all of our money from osv passes and for the summer visitors they close 75% of our beach.  I should shut up, don't want to get Possum going on this one.   

When I went last year in september, there was a line of about 30 cars (not exaggerating) waiting to get into the OSV on one of the days. That day it was open to the state line. Can’t imagine that many people in the small amount of space now. I don’t like being cramped and close to others... that’s the appeal of night fishing to me. All alone (or at least fat away from others) under the night sky with a rod in the water, listening to the waves... and trying not to fall asleep watching the rod lol. 

Also, Possum?

1 hour ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Also, Possum?

A well respected surf fisherman, human, and my fishing buddy. 

He often gets fired up over 145 vehicles on a partially closed beach. 

13 mins ago, Catskill John said:

A well respected surf fisherman, human, and my fishing buddy. 

He often gets fired up over 145 vehicles on a partially closed beach. 

That's understandable!

2 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Also, Possum?

He's been around awhile...

Erik?  Guy looks just like Possum.  Great to have a few old timers around...guys who were there before it became such a circus.  And that little fish musta been Allen's...

Allen once held the state record for coastal striped bass.

Fished AIMD this morning, 2 whiting, 2 spot, they went back to small and one mean ray. I hate rays, but if you surf fish you get them. I was hoping for a puppy drum, had a nice whiting head on the rig. I'll see how tomorrow go's.  I was # 6 on the beach.

On 7/17/2022 at 7:51 AM, hunter123 said:

John you probably have not fished AI MD this year. It's only open to the 21 marker. so that's about 13 miles, if that's what the markes are. And it still gets crowded.If it was open to the VA state line you may outrun them.  Va is closed also on the North osv. They still allow 145 trucks on in MD . 12 trucks in VA on the south OSV. It gets tight.I have fished AI all my life in this area, I know it pretty well. Your not out running them this year. So like I said after 10:00 am the tent crowd shows up. Also ,Proskates is right, the people with dogs , most don't use a leash. What they do is when they see the rangers coming, they hook the mut up to a leash, then take it off when the rangers leave,They have become a real pita. Also with the limit on DE surf tags this year, I'm sure a lot of these people bought a Fed tag for AI. So bottom line ,there is no bingo!

North section on the VA side reopened last week, still 12 vehicles and fishing only.  The south section closed today.  Before that it's been 18 vehicles when the hook is closed, 48 when it reopens.

On 7/17/2022 at 5:16 PM, d-man said:

It takes a lot to get me going these days lol.
The vehicle limit was put into place when the permit system was created in 75 to protect habitat and wildlife in the osv.:
"a maximum of 12 vehicles per mile on the Md and Va sides at any time" This  is how the 145 quota  came about for the Md.osv.  12 miles x 12 vehicles per mile =144 vehicle quota.
Anyway..whatever,,,,
anyone that believes that 50 vehicles per mile density in the osv is NPS being protective of habitat and wildlife is dreaming
This is not what was intended when the osv permut system was created.
The vehicle limit/quota was designed to protect wildlife and habitat in the osv and it is all that is needed to do the job.All of the closures and overcrowding are toral bs.
Peace

1 hour ago, DerrickT said:

North section on the VA side reopened last week, still 12 vehicles and fishing only.  The south section closed today.  Before that it's been 18 vehicles when the hook is closed, 48 when it reopens.

I know that AIMD closes because of the birds. Why does the south section of AIVA close? Birds? Seems like nesting birds would have closed it earlier.