luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - July 2022

Rate this topic

94 posts in this topic

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots, times, and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it? 

;)

July already... let hope the fish are around all summer, and we can get on the beach/water to meet them!

North OCMD for the weekend. 

IMG-8990.jpg.991ff0f159bfc2628186461dd61bd06c.jpg

IMG-8997.jpg.7738beb8eff17d28fdc2f4049e7c46f3.jpg

Kingfish w/ mojo de ajo, bang-bang shrimp and sandfleas, and "stuffies".

IMG-9030.jpg.24929729d5a9b22f1e46317cfa04c562.jpg

Foul-hooked an eel in the surf Sunday night too. That was a first for me. :shrug:

6 hours ago, Wheeler said:

IMG-9030.jpg.24929729d5a9b22f1e46317cfa04c562.jpg

Foul-hooked an eel in the surf Sunday night too. That was a first for me. :shrug:

That has to be one of the weirdest looking eels I have ever seen. Is it just me? Eyes look too big and the mouth and head looks kind of “drummy”, like the nose is pointing out and the mouth is below the nose. Look at these eels in these photos.3FC0A61A-531C-406E-B0E5-A8FD4C8C0F00.jpeg.3ce48bc3628dc1439b0b0dc6c52075a6.jpeg445F06D2-8AD9-459D-A0DF-38FFA7E4DA79.jpeg.cd89c40259a0b96fa36456542265530e.jpegThese eels may be more mature than the one shown but still. The eel shown has much larger eyes and a different head shape. Of course it could just be the photo angle, but even then it still looks stranger than the average eel. And it appears much lighter than the average light colored eel I see, but color varies.

Regardless, very interesting catch. I’ve only ever seen one eel pulled out of the water in OC and it was some tourist guy with a rental rod on a pier. I unhooked and released it for him. He was pretty excited about it.

1 min ago, MDsurffishing said:

Cusk eel, this time of year they are thick in the surf and if you go underwater they are loud like drum

Bingo.  Bait thieves.

16 hours ago, MDsurffishing said:

Cusk eel, this time of year they are thick in the surf and if you go underwater they are loud like drum

That’s it. Never heard of them until now. Interesting looking fish.

Nice!!! I have seen so many drum pics this summer, and mostly on a short beach. I'll be at the Delaware beaches for a week starting the 16th. Maybe I can snag one up there.

15 mins ago, DerrickT said:

Be interesting to see what happens when the south osv closes this week

Hopefully they will be on the MD side but I haven't seen any post suggesting this yet

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 mins ago, MDsurffishing said:

Hopefully they will be on the MD side but I haven't seen any post suggesting this yet

I just saw pics from one last night on FB and it's generally people posting from the MD side so maybe there are a few around up there.  There is one guy who fishes that side religiously so if they are there he'd be catching them but I haven't seen pics yet from him...

Be interesting to see too now that the AIVA north section is open if there are any hanging around up there

Edited by DerrickT