Mike Oliver

Floating Fly lines in a decent surf.

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

It took me many years to realise just how effective it can be to utalise a floating fly line and a short fast sink poly leader to catch Bass on the lip as the wave recedes.

So Steve the message did get through in the end.

By decent I mean knock you over decent.

mike

Tie,

I am fishing a steep sand surf beach. There is a good sea running one that will knock you over. I was fishing the wash from the receding wave and the bottom of the slope. In short no retrive as that takes the fly out of the strike zone. The floating line lets you hold the fly in the zone way way longer. The Bass dart in and just grab your fly. No need to move it as it is getting tumbled already.
You have to condition your brain to fish this short. The lip and wash zone are a key hot spot. You need a good wave to get the right conditions. It is deadly. To help anchor the fly in the zone I used a 5 foot piece of fast sunk poly leader. Won’t work with out this. You lift rod to mend over top of waves. Takes mostly are hard.

TH or single hand rod does the business. Nice big visible fly. Exciting stuff.

mike

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

To help anchor the fly in the zone I used a 5 foot piece of fast sunk poly leader.

mike

Airflo 5' ? Did you add a tippet or tie your fly directly to the leader?

Edited by Suave
Typo

1 hour ago, Suave said:

Airflo 5' ? Did you add a tippet or tie your fly directly to the leader?

Ok 10 wt floating fly line. Then 5 feet extra fast sink poly leader or Rio Versa leader. You need the strong breaking strain stuff for Salmon. Loop this onto the end of your fly line. Then loop on your single piece of leader. I used between four and five feet. But you may need to shorten to around two feet. Nice big visible non fouling fly. The longer you can manipulate your fly line to keep fly in the zone the better your catch rate. Timing of the cast is important to.

It works wonderfully well for guys who don’t feel the need to make hero casts to barren water but get their egos fed.

Mike

On 6/30/2022 at 10:36 PM, Mike Oliver said:

It took me many years to realise just how effective it can be to utalise a floating fly line and a short fast sink poly leader to catch Bass on the lip as the wave recedes.

So Steve the message did get through in the end.

By decent I mean knock you over decent.

mike

That is quite an admission on your part Mike, a compliment to Steve and the tried and true Rhody flat wing fly fishing technique. Keep up the good work!

I use a floating line in FL for snook. They love to cruise the trough along the beach. With a floating line I can use the push and pull of the surf to move the fly in and out of the trough. I’ve had many snook follow the fly as it’s pushed up onto the beach and many hits as it’s drawn back down into the trough. The floating line helps me to keep it in the zone longer.

Mike I love your approach to the swell ridden surf. Fishing the trough was always my intention. The lip is tough as the wave crashes on your line. I got to hold Steve Colton’s 12 ft 6 two hander  you made him at black rock bluff last week as he was on the prowl. Interesting to say the least. I love the idea of that long rod in a rolling surf. Can be a frustrating place to be with a 9 ft one hander. I have a tough time with a floating line here but understand the presentation is hard to resist if there are fish in the wash. I have some success but mostly when the sea is tame. I will keep at it. Unfortunately the fish have been somewhere else it would seem. I will be thinking about your rods. Probably to much. Thank you for being here !

Airflo makes polyleaders in 4ft length for Bass/Musky that would likely fit the bill.  Come in sink, int (clear), and float. 

Also they have polyleaders labeled specifically for steelhead/salmon, and "saltwater"  I use 5ft, 8ft and 10ft ones.  The saltwater ones may have a stronger core.  Come in a wider variety of sink weights and rates than the Bass/Musky labeled ones. 

The other option is to use a short section of T-14 (e.g., for two handers with lines over 500g) or T-11 (for single handers under 9wt).  Custom cut versions of T-material have loops on both ends, but when cut down to 5ft you may need to wrap new loops.  5ft of T-14 is 70g.  5ft T-11 is 55g.

I learned to use sink tips. polys, versileaders, and Mow/iMow systems for freshwater salmon and steelhead, with the choice depending on depth and flow conditions, and the weight of the line and size and weight/density of fly.  Very versatile to match with a Skagit head or an integrated but short head floating line like the Rio Ambush lines.

Been using a floating line on the beaches for years.I found it MAKES me concentrate and "fish" alot more.

AirFlo no longer makes the "Saltwater Version" of their Poly Leaders, but in reality both the "Salmon" and "Saltwater" Floating and Intermediate versions that I have (having procured the former in recent years) shared the same 20lb test core, so the different names were only for marketing.  I have never had the need for more than 5ft in length, and when I could only get 10 ft, I split them and installed my own whipped loops on the ends.  I actually cut off the 20lb test tail, even on the 5ft versions, and whip my own loop - gets me bette turn over, especially when fishing a 2 or 3 fly leader assembly.

For Clarification, I went to the truck and dug out the Salmon/Steelhead Clear Intermediate and Floating (most recent acquisition) and my remaining packages of Saltwater Clear Intermediate and Floating, as well as the Saltwater Tapered Braided Leader of 6ft Length/Extra Super Fast Sink (0.9secs.ft).  None of these state on the packaging the actual breaking strength, but sate that the leader "takes tippets up to 24lb breaking strength - so I assume the core of the leader tests at perhaps 30lb?

I had one of these leaders on hand. So I cut it in half and will be trying this for sure. I don’t fish the beach much but when I do it has been challenging at times and I always thought fishing a floating line would be easier depending on the conditions. Will give this setup a shot. I certainly could have used it a few days ago with the conditions I had but only had my spinning rod. Thank you for sharing and reinforcing this. 

12 hours ago, turkaholic said:

Mike I love your approach to the swell ridden surf. Fishing the trough was always my intention. The lip is tough as the wave crashes on your line. I got to hold Steve Colton’s 12 ft 6 two hander  you made him at black rock bluff last week as he was on the prowl. Interesting to say the least. I love the idea of that long rod in a rolling surf. Can be a frustrating place to be with a 9 ft one hander. I have a tough time with a floating line here but understand the presentation is hard to resist if there are fish in the wash. I have some success but mostly when the sea is tame. I will keep at it. Unfortunately the fish have been somewhere else it would seem. I will be thinking about your rods. Probably to much. Thank you for being here !

Thanks. Truth is I only learned how to do this with a sink  tip and floating line this past three weeks.  Old dogs take longer to learn new tricks. A longer rod can make it easier but my friend out fished me with a single hander. We can to a degree keep the fly in the zone with an intermediate  line but the dumping wave messes with it way too much. Those big Backside beaches on Cape Cod and the South side beaches at Montauk are great places to fish this way. Ok you will get messed up at times it’s part the game. But such an exciting way to fish.

Mike