Bsacamano21

Squeaky VSX200

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I was hoping someone could help point me in the right direction-did a search and didn't find much related to the VS.   I sold my boat so I got into surf fishing and wading & bought a VSX200.  I've used it about 5 times and when to use it last night-the first few rotations of the handle sounded really rough.  It smoothed out after about 20 seconds of reeling but I've noticed a high pitched squeak when slowly turning the handle (putting my ear up to it, the noise appears to be coming from the main body/gear area) or reeling with some pressure on the line.  I ruled out the roller as a suspect.   I tried to open the reel up but I don't have the VS wrench and it didn't want to budge with a normal wrench.  I really like the reel, any thoughts before I send it back to VS-I'm in Maine so having it down for service for three weeks or so is a good amount of my season.  Thanks in advance...

Yeah the only time I have had a squeak in my vsx200 was from the knob. I put a drop of the van staal oil and it was good as new. 

Unscrew the handle to see if there is any sign of rust / water intrusion underneath it. Like rust brown color liquid.  Next suspect is the seal under the rotor cup. Remove the spool, undo the 4 allen head screw that hold the rotor in place and check the seals on the reel body. 

9 hours ago, Bsacamano21 said:

Hey all,

I was hoping someone could help point me in the right direction-did a search and didn't find much related to the VS.   I sold my boat so I got into surf fishing and wading & bought a VSX200.  I've used it about 5 times and when to use it last night-the first few rotations of the handle sounded really rough.  It smoothed out after about 20 seconds of reeling but I've noticed a high pitched squeak when slowly turning the handle (putting my ear up to it, the noise appears to be coming from the main body/gear area) or reeling with some pressure on the line.  I ruled out the roller as a suspect.   I tried to open the reel up but I don't have the VS wrench and it didn't want to budge with a normal wrench.  I really like the reel, any thoughts before I send it back to VS-I'm in Maine so having it down for service for three weeks or so is a good amount of my season.  Thanks in advance...

I'll go along with the others, in that it's coming from the knob on the reels handle ( squeaking bearing ) . To rule that out simply turn the reel by using the handle only. ( not grasping the knob )

Not that it matters, is your reel under water while fishing. If so, you may want to get a service kit and bump up service maintenance after fishing a week or two of hard fishing.

Take it back. Get a new one from where it was purchased. A reel should not have any issue's in a week.

10 hours ago, Bsacamano21 said:

Hey all,

By the the way, did you get the new VSX2 version

28093CCE-D7EB-4149-AE51-5538E0F2A458.jpeg

Here you go. A post on water resistant reels service.

Click on it, Go a-head

The handle doesn’t have a bearing, it has a bushing. If you make it down near the cape fishing I would be happy to help out.

52 mins ago, Bsacamano21 said:

Hey GED-grew up in Yarmouth and am down every month or so from Southern ME.  I may take you up on that once the 4th of July traffic abates...

That’s an offer you might not want to pass up. Ged is one of the best 

I would take spool off and try royal purple on the shaft. 

@LB any thoughts?

The main shaft did have a black patina on it which I cleaned up with a cloth, a polishing cloth and some oil. I re-oiled, and cycled the shaft for 15 seconds or so to work it in. It may have cleaned up some of the noise but not all. I think the noise is happening mostly on the upstroke so some of that patina may be inside, below where I can get to it, maybe rubbing on a bearing/bushing or seal somewhere when the main shaft moves upward.  I need to find a service wrench to get inside but I can’t find a service kit or wrench in stock anywhere right now. 

58 mins ago, ged said:

The handle doesn’t have a bearing, it has a bushing. If you make it down near the cape fishing I would be happy to help out.

Went to there site. Can't find the parts schematic. Believe it was called the spindle assembly inside the knob that's making that sound the OP is describing.

Ask me how I know. I snapped and replaced a few. Only one started squealing before it snapped....