HopHead

Runaway NYC crime

Rate this topic

108 posts in this topic

Anybody with feet on the ground in the city every day?  You feel like it's worse than in the 70s/80s when if you were like me we didn't even notice it going to games, bars, etc.?  There were years back then with 2500 murders a year.....it's pretty much a fraction of that now but you'd think it was double.

NYC bars and restaurants beef up security as crime, homelessness soars

June 29, 2022 4:25pm 

The nights are dark and full of terrors for already COVID-battered restaurant owners struggling to stay afloat or open new locations.

That’s because runaway crime and rampant homelessness are forcing them to close early or spend extra money on security to keep their patrons safe, according to interviews with several Big Apple restaurateurs.  

Richie Romero, a veteran restaurateur and nightclub impresario, told Side Dish he was forced to hire a security guard until 4 a.m. on the weekends at his Lower East Side spot Zazzy’s Pizza. 

“I’m mobbed Thursday, Friday and Saturday, but I have to close early, at 11 pm, during the week because people are too afraid to go out at night,” said Romero, who also owns Zazzy’s locations in the West Village and the Upper East Side, along with the plant-based eatery Innocent Yesterday in the Village.

“The criminals are patrolling the streets,” he added. “I live in the West Village and it’s even worse there. It’s desolate at night, just homeless people and strange people walking around.” 

Restaurateur Stratis Morfogen — of Brooklyn Chop House and Brooklyn Dumpling Shop — also said the West Village is “out of control.”

He described a horror show where drug dealers are sprawled out in reclining chairs in front of closed stores, asking people walking by if they want cocaine, Ecstasy and marijuana. 

https://nypost.com/2022/06/29/nyc-bars-restaurants-beef-up-security-as-crime-homelessness-soars/

There m-f for work. Was there through the shut down. Every damn day. It’s a **** hole. Mid town looks like a bomb went off with homeless people everywhere 

And might I add, if you did vote Democrat your entire adult life, you don't get to move. Stay right where you are.

Makes me happy,    And sad. 

Happy, because they got what they wanted Sad because the smart ones are moving down here and tearing **** up 

To answer the original question I don’t see it as worse than the late 70’s early 80’s.

My perspective may be off because I spend most of my time below Wall Street and the age difference from then til now.

My son just moved to Mulberry street a couple weeks ago I will see what he says.

1 hour ago, redfishkiller said:

They need to fence it in,  burn It to the ground bulldoze it and start over

well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, redfishkiller said:

They need to fence it in,  burn It to the ground bulldoze it and start over

Say it almost daily. Unfortunately, their refugees are in my hood.