codfish

Top water lure when fish are on small bait??

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

Smack it popper/Rattling popper size 4".  This thing is deadly....caught many and lost many to blues.

IMG_20220630_224519.jpg

IMG_20220630_224604.jpg

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Saw a few on eBay. Got a chrome/blue one.  

I checked ebay out of curiosity. There were some 1oz ones on there so I bought a couple. :)

They were discontinued a while ago, not long after Uncle Josh bought Acme lures in 2013.

Edited by zak-striper

4 hours ago, zak-striper said:

I checked ebay out of curiosity. There were some 1oz ones on there so I bought a couple. :)

They were discontinued a while ago, not long after Uncle Josh bought Acme lures in 2013.

:th:

17 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Hook hangars are a joke on the zaras! 

Jumpin' minnow or Heddon one knocker.

rs_58_29809606-46af-4037-8a8b-500311c499

the fresh water spook out fishes the one knocker.....there's no click........I take the hangers off and replace it with SS eyes and split rings......it's an easy process and certainly worth it.....

definitely my favorite striper plug, weighing in at 3/4 oz......

The Jumpin' Minnow is one of the most popular and most modded plugs on the West Coast.  5 different iterations come to mind.

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Evil-Bay said:

Smack it popper/Rattling popper size 4".  This thing is deadly....caught many and lost many to blues.

IMG_20220630_224519.jpg

IMG_20220630_224604.jpg

Exactly what I have.  Broke one last year, but it's replacement is still hammering them, sans paint job.  The Hogy versions are awesome too, but I don't have the jr size in Hogy.

Edited by Skunkoff

TA used to make a popper that slays for me. Cast great , pops great , and even can pencil it .has put fished small super strikes side by side . But if ya double on it front hook back hook they will rip it in half 

8 hours ago, zak-striper said:

I hate what UJ did with Acme.  I haven't bought any Phoebes yet but I'm scared too. 

Another vote for smack it jr. while not an official top water plug you may want to try a white albie snack with no weight. Just twitch it in. If you don’t get a bite on those two there’s no fish there. Ha ha. 
put a small teaser ahead of popper. Like a fly small sluggo or similar small bait. 

All good suggestions here. Don’t overlook the small 1/2 oz creekchub striker strike popper. Been around for decades. Chrome and all white both have been very good to me for a long time. A hook change is advisable. Killer little plug and is a great caster.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

I hate what UJ did with Acme.  I haven't bought any Phoebes yet but I'm scared too. 

Yeah, the covid supply chain shortages really impacted kastmasters 1 1/2 years ago or so

They were noticeable skimping on paint. The hooks became cheaper & weaker. And the ones that came with a siwash/bucktail hook were atrocious.  You could pull the bucktail off with the easiest of pulls on the hair.

I use firetiger kastmasters for lakers & salmon.  I bought a can of fluorescent orange spray paint because there was barely any orange on the new firetiger ones. The orange is the most important color on that lure. 

I've been fly tying since I was a kid. I had to throw away the siwash hook, replace it with a vmc one, then tie on my own bucktail. I use 2 & 3oz kastmasters with a siwash when I'm targeting blues from the beaches. When I restocked during the winter of '20, the quality of the new ones I bought was horrible.

Edited by zak-striper

4 hours ago, unskunk said:

the fresh water spook out fishes the one knocker.....there's no click........I take the hangers off and replace it with SS eyes and split rings......it's an easy process and certainly worth it.....

definitely my favorite striper plug, weighing in at 3/4 oz......

I guess it depends on the day, I personally prefer the knock. I certainly don't see a rattle as something adverse. I carry both the (no knock) Jumpin' minnows and the rowdier one knocks. Some days the knock is magic, others they hear me knockin' but I can't come in.

Last fall when peanut bunker were all over, the one knock was outfishing everything else 4 to 1. My buddy went to Red Top and cleaned out what they had left after seeing how crazy the fish got over them. The pearl melon color was on absolute fire!

rs.php?path=HOKS-PM-1.jpg

Another good plug is Cotton Cordell 1/2oz popper Nothin similar to a Creek Chub, l hade this lure for a long time it pops great and when slowed down some it swims underwater t has a good all-around action.

l have rewired the plug.

20220701_083144.jpg.edddb8268d717031434dfe540bb637cf.jpg

20220701_083225.jpg.553fbc19a7dc95c2a351186f80bd79a2.jpg

20220701_083243.jpg.995e3214f8497c07a1aed96f63691988.jpg

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, bass11 said:

The Jumpin' Minnow is one of the most popular and most modded plugs on the West Coast

I've done well with the Jumpin' Minnow on sandeel beaches at night, especially shallow ones. Just a straight retrieve. The v wake they create is like ringin' the dinner bell. :) 

Edited by zak-striper