jetty eddy

tail loop

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

When you make the tail loop do you start closest to the plug body and wrap out towards the tail or vice versa?My tail loops are horrible.

Another thing you can do if you are having issues with them looking droopy or out of round.

Open your vise just a bit and lay the tail loop on top. Drive a punch through the loop with light taps. This will both round out a droopy loop as well as tighten the loop up to the body by opening it up slightly.

You won't need to do this after you get better, but it won't hurt if you continue. All your loops will look identical if you do it this way.

Practice, practice practice. After you do a thousand it will be easy. LOL. 

Special nod to NiB, who posted his method long ago.

20220704_114549.jpg.c775f8ef4cdd1377e6fedb296117496a.jpg

Make a loop. I use pliers with a round tip.

20220704_114642.jpg.4e68cf83fad6e57f8f7c1c8ef0d8ea73.jpg

Clamp the loop right in the vise.

20220704_114637.jpg.bc48d19258f3c636ca6c1cdb23f98d80.jpg

Grab the wire tightly, and while pulling on the plug body, start wrapping the wire, till it is all wound up against the back of the plug. Cut off the tag end, I use a cutoff wheel.

20220704_114939.jpg.37e31cd20680258c282b9d59df318e8f.jpg

Not the tightest wrap I've ever done, but this was a demo. Some folks don't like to scar the wire by clamping it in the vise, they don't fail, so I don't care.

Love a solid tailwrap, and like you I struggled to find my method and to create a tailwrap capable of holding up to 300lb BFT….I’ve incorporated it into some striper plugs using 1.6mm. but this type of wrap, while extremely tight, is wildly unnecessary for striper and requires 2 interlocking nose grommets otherwise it will split just the one grommet as its locked down followed quickly by the plug. The entire plug has to be built to handle the lack of “give”, play, and zero rotation. There’s something to be said about a good old fashioned, tight, but not unmovable tail wrap using the minimum number of wraps to lock it in. 

F5FA372A-5846-456C-A7B4-6D316B0EC90A.jpeg

Wow that's awesome. I'm guessing you have to figure that into your weighting of the plug. How much does that tail assembly weight? 

@Edwhite great looking glider! 

I just wanted to add that one method I seen online they start off with a 90 bend of the wire. Then grab that with the roundnose pliers and wrap the loop. I don't know where u started your loop but I just wanted to throw that out there. 

I like that method becuase you can bend the loop as necessary before wrapping to get it orient right.

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, TopStriperAngler said:

Wow that's awesome. I'm guessing you have to figure that into your weighting of the plug. How much does that tail assembly weight? 

You do have to account for the extra wire weight and that wrap is usually something I save for pencils, Polaris poppers, or when I’m using 2-2.4mm wire for bigger species that will eventually work a tail wrap away from the plug. All other plugs get a traditional wrap….and the weight really depends on the wire thickness, but with 0.062” I’ve found it can add up to 0.5-0.6 oz. As I don’t really fish pencils with a rear treble anymore it’s not a necessity as much as it’s just become a thing I do differently. 

edit: here’s another method of tail wrapping that you can certainly take pieces from. Those Aussies make some quality, GT ready plugs and rarely do you get to see someone working with hard 2 mil wire 

Edited by Dan_evan1
Added video link

On 7/13/2022 at 11:15 PM, Dan_evan1 said:

Love a solid tailwrap, and like you I struggled to find my method and to create a tailwrap capable of holding up to 300lb BFT….I’ve incorporated it into some striper plugs using 1.6mm. but this type of wrap, while extremely tight, is wildly unnecessary for striper and requires 2 interlocking nose grommets otherwise it will split just the one grommet as its locked down followed quickly by the plug. The entire plug has to be built to handle the lack of “give”, play, and zero rotation. There’s something to be said about a good old fashioned, tight, but not unmovable tail wrap using the minimum number of wraps to lock it in. 

F5FA372A-5846-456C-A7B4-6D316B0EC90A.jpeg

Would love to see a how to on that wrap

Posted (edited)

On 7/17/2022 at 10:39 AM, bassmaster said:

Would love to see a how to on that wrap

You just do a normal wrap amd then wrap back towards the loop . I do this on my Tuna stuff 

Edited by extreme fisherman

1 min ago, extreme fisherman said:

You just do a normal wrap amd then wrap back towards the loop . I do this on my Tuna stuff 

I got to try this

On 7/18/2022 at 11:18 AM, extreme fisherman said:

Can you post a picture of your tail wraps on your tuna stuff? Curious to see your end result as there’s quite a few different variations from Aussie, Japan, Kiwi, and US builders