joetackle

Lamiglas finish chipped.

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I just bought a used Lamiglas Competitor casting rod and it has some chips in the brown finish that I would like to repair. Nothing deep where it would compromise the construction of the rod. Could I use a Root Beer colored clear nail Polish or would I need to get a special epoxy finish? 

Thanks.

You learn from things tried be they failures, or successes, it certainly won't hurt to try. Those were a popular and durable rod line with many bass anglers.

This is a GSB 1201L that is 25 years old. Ugly but still fishes great. I could probably pick off the rest of the original finish but will just leave it as is.

DD22701C-1464-410E-BD05-789F10B7152D.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

It has a clear brown finish with the appearance of fiber mat underneath. However, under the finish, the blank has some kind of silver foil applied to it. The fiber mat is just a lithograph printed on the foil and is not real fiber. Strange design.

Edited by joetackle

I've used Permaglosss U40 to refinish entire rods.  It goes on pretty thin and I use a small disposable brush and rod dryer to apply.  Costs about $10 a bottle.  Put a little in the spare cap to use and close the main container quickly.

Here's a before and after shot of an old glass rod I refinished.

rod finish.JPG