James m

Advice on first boat

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I started a picture thread here on SOL a while back for aluminum boats getting used in the salt.

I grew up running tinnys, I now have a 17’ Carolina skiff and I can’t ever imagine going the tinny route again. The Carolina trailers and launches super easy and is a much more stable platform to fish from. 

12 mins ago, fishing addict said:

I grew up running tinnys, I now have a 17’ Carolina skiff and I can’t ever imagine going the tinny route again. The Carolina trailers and launches super easy and is a much more stable platform to fish from. 

I was looking into those boats they seem pretty sweet. I may be playing more of the long game on finding a decent deal on a lightly used one. was planing on storing it at the parents house as I live in the city but they are now moving far out of the way so im not in much of a rush at the moment 

A Lund 18'. Small outboard, say 30 to 50 HP. Use it until you drop. No center console. Rig it so you can stand and steer.

If you do not have much boating experience, I recommend starting with a tiller, preferably one you can stand up and operate. A tiller is more intuitive when trying to line it up with a trailer or dock, with wind or tide.

If you start with a tin or fiberglass skiff, and use the snot out of it for a year or two, I guarantee you will then want to, and be ready to, move up to something bigger. 
Another consideration is whether you have kids or grandkids that you will want to take out. If they, or the wife, aren’t comfortable, there will be a lot of complaints. 
The best advice I received every time I was upgrading a boat, was to buy the best engine you can afford. Reliability and confidence in your engine is not just a luxury, it can be a safety issue. 

Look for a used 18' maritime skiff. Roomy, fuel efficient, easy to trailer and you much more capable than a tin boat. Price on the other hand....

Posted (edited)

I started in the same camp as you, looking for a small, affordable tin or flat bottom boat for the bays.  By chance I came across a good deal on an 18' cc low hours and a solid motor.  It pays to pay for a little more boat and if you can find a solid engine with low hours, don't hesitate. Dont rush the process, enjoy the learning curve and take your time.  Only so many raw experiences left in life so when you come across a new one, savor it.

Edited by DeepBlue85

On 6/29/2022 at 1:29 PM, redfin said:

I would look at the Lund 14WC.

Over an SSV? For value or handling saltwater specifically?

I have owned a Boston Whaler 17 Montauk.  Has everything you are asking  for and are available in middle teens. Very safe and can be sold when you want to trade up without losing much of anything when you sell. Usually have 70 HP OB power.