James m

Advice on first boat

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Looking for some input from anyone with inshore boating experience. Im looking into getting something in the 14-16 foot range to fish mainly in the bays and harbors of the cape cod/south shore MA area and don't plan on ever going further than a few hundred yards off shore. Id be trailering it and ideally would like something I don't need a f350 to tow. My knowledge on boats is pretty limited but just looking for some direction on where to start my search. 

Thanks,

James

My first was a 14ft Sea Nymph. I forget the model but the transom height was higher than the normal height. Pretty sure it was 20". That was some little tin boat with a 15HP motor. If I was in the market these days I would look at the Lund 14WC. Very economical way to go especially if you find one used. New is still a solid deal. A Lund in nice shape will have great resale value almost at any age. Spend as much as you can on a good motor and learn how to maintain it. Here is where I'd buy new and preferably Honda or Yamaha. I had a couple used motors. For me it did not work out. I felt 15HP was plenty for what you described and a pretty ideal size for a 14 footer. One must be realistic in a boat like this. If you plan on taking two overweight buddies out on it with all your gear, you  would be overloading it. No bueno. Capacity is a relevant feature of a boat that many people ignore. For two normal sized guys and gear, I'd say it's perfect. This is a very nice way to start out. Understanding and appreciating the economy and simplicity of a boat like this will only come from experiencing the expense and lack of simplicity of a larger more expensive boat.

9 mins ago, redfin said:

My first was a 14ft Sea Nymph. I forget the model but the transom height was higher than the normal height. Pretty sure it was 20". That was some little tin boat with a 15HP motor. If I was in the market these days I would look at the Lund 14WC. Very economical way to go especially if you find one used. New is still a solid deal. A Lund in nice shape will have great resale value almost at any age. Spend as much as you can on a good motor and learn how to maintain it. Here is where I'd buy new and preferably Honda or Yamaha. I had a couple used motors. For me it did not work out. I felt 15HP was plenty for what you described and a pretty ideal size for a 14 footer. One must be realistic in a boat like this. If you plan on taking two overweight buddies out on it with all your gear, you  would be overloading it. No bueno. Capacity is a relevant feature of a boat that many people ignore. For two normal sized guys and gear, I'd say it's perfect. This is a very nice way to start out. Understanding and appreciating the economy and simplicity of a boat like this will only come from experiencing the expense and lack of simplicity of a larger more expensive boat.

great advice thanks

My first boat was a 21' CC. Learned a lot with that boat. I did have slips (3 different marinas) because I didn't want the hassle of putting it in, taking it out, yada, yada. If you're a newbie and plan on trailering my suggestion would be to look for an 18-19 foot boat. I know you say you're staying in bays/harbors but trust me, you will get the urge to go out front before long. A bigger boat will take you (and a couple buddies) there, of course always need to keep your eye on the weather. 19' with a 90-115 HP 4 stroke oughta do it well. Good luck and keep us posted!

On 6/29/2022 at 1:29 PM, redfin said:

This^^^

If you decide you want something bigger you can move to a boat that will likely live in a slip most of the time and still have the 14 tinny for getting into spots the bigger boat won't handle as well or take it on the road more easily. With boats everything is a compromise so having a bit of a range is helpful.

I have a Lund SSV 16 with a 40 Merc. Love it. Easy to trailer..easy to load/launch by myself. Got a raised front casting deck and floors.

Posted (edited)

Even within the same brand, boat motors can vary dramatically in reliability.  I know it's not the size your looking for, but v6 Yamaha's until I want to say 2011 had major issues, as did the more recent 350 v8's, while the 300's and 150 were bullet proof.  There is a boating website about the truth which tells all.

Edited by ferret

I have a Lund 16.5 with a 30HP Mercury 2 Stroke. Does about 20 mph with 2 normal sized people. It’s a surprisingly good bay boat. I’m on Long Island south shore. Pretty much a 2 person boat that does everything pretty good. Easy to use and maintain. Inexpensive to operate. Great platform to figure out what you want long term for not a lot of cash. 

Yup. Takes a while to figure out all the different options and what works for you. That’s why a simple aluminum boat is a good starting point. Mine was a sit down side console. I didn’t like not seeing over the bow all the time so I ripped it out and made a stand up console. It’s kinda heavy so I’ll center it to level it out. Probably fab up some kind of windshield at some point as well. I have a beach umbrella in a rod holder for sun protection!!  Testing if a T-top or Bimini is necessary. In a couple of seasons Youll know exactly (sorta) what You want for your next boat. Or realize that this is all you really need. 

On 7/13/2022 at 8:03 AM, angler management said:

i would never consider another boat without a windshield and Bimini top !

I'd never consider a boat with a Bimini top.  One of my boats has a windshield and while I haven't taken it off, I have not added one to my Parker, so I can go either way on that.

14-18' tin is easy and can be found for a reasonable price at most times.  I grew up in tin boats, but prefer fiberglass hulls these days.  It probably has more to do with the hull style than anythign else though.

sam

On 7/13/2022 at 7:48 AM, Rdrce698 said:

I have a Lund 16.5 with a 30HP Mercury 2 Stroke. Does about 20 mph with 2 normal sized people. It’s a surprisingly good bay boat. I’m on Long Island south shore. Pretty much a 2 person boat that does everything pretty good. Easy to use and maintain. Inexpensive to operate. Great platform to figure out what you want long term for not a lot of cash. 

I’m running a similar rig ……16 Duranautic side console with a 30 e-tec. it’s convenient, cheap to run, and fun. 

On 6/29/2022 at 11:34 AM, James m said:

Looking for some input from anyone with inshore boating experience. Im looking into getting something in the 14-16 foot range to fish mainly in the bays and harbors of the cape cod/south shore MA area and don't plan on ever going further than a few hundred yards off shore. Id be trailering it and ideally would like something I don't need a f350 to tow. My knowledge on boats is pretty limited but just looking for some direction on where to start my search. 

Thanks,

James

Check out the Tinboat Mafia thread in Boating and Boat Fishing. 

2 hours ago, aae0130 said:

I’m running a similar rig ……16 Duranautic side console with a 30 e-tec. it’s convenient, cheap to run, and fun. 

At the end of the day that’s what it’s all about!