coolhandfluke

kayaking on upper MAURICE river yesterday

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

did the turtle drop into the water a second after the photo was taken? 

8 hours ago, mako capt said:

Where did you put in at and where did you get out?

fowser street ramp in millville.   went up to top as the incoming tide petered out and came back with the out going tide.

6 hours ago, coolhandfluke said:

fowser street ramp in millville.   went up to top as the incoming tide petered out and came back with the out going tide.

I wouldn't call that the upper MAURICE river though.  To me that would be upstream of Union Lake like Sherman, Landis or Almond Road.

Here's my Fowser Road Boat Ramp story:  Around 1985 my father and I launched our 17 foot boat there to do some early season testing.  I was about 15 0r 16 at the time.   We got a couple of miles downriver and started having carb trouble and had to turn back.  About half way back to the ramp with me squeezing the primer ball to keep the engine running I spotted something on a mud bar and pointed it out to my dad.  We motored over and checked it out and it was the fully clothed dead body of a man face down in the mud.  We sputtered our way back to the boat ramp and my dad went to find a pay phone.  We waited for police to arrive.  When the Millville police arrived they called the state police.  When they arrived they asked us to take them out in our sputtering boat to show them what we'd found while a boat headed upriver from Port Norris to meet us.  When we got back to the spot at least an hour and a half had passed and the tide had come in and the body was gone.  It took us about 20 minutes of motoring around but sure enough we found him again floating with the tide.  The officer on board our boat attached one of our dock fenders to the guy's arm and we floated along with the body until the state police boat arrived to take the body back to an awaiting ambulance at the boat ramp.  Got our names in the news papers and the story went that the guy was known to the Millville police and they believed he had an epileptic seizure and fell in the river on or near the Main Street Bridge three nights earlier.  Always thought the story to be odd as he had dark bruises on his face.  How's that for a cheery story. :p

wouldn't call that the upper MAURICE river though.  To me that would be upstream of Union Lake like Sherman, Landis or Almond Road.

not sure why you say that.  if you put in at fowser street head up river takes you to the union lake water fall. so yes that is the upper maurice river.head the opposite it way, down stream takes you to the deleware bay.i have also been on union lake till it ends into the woods although the water does not end.

To me the upper Maurice River would be the pure fresh water/non-tidal portion from Willow Grove Lake to Union Lake.  I've canoed and kayaked most of it up there and the lakes and tributaries from above Malaga Lake on down.   Wish someone would take an interest in keeping the river open up there.  Years ago there were a couple of canoe operations that would clear trees out from blocking the river especially from Almond Road down.  Last time I did it the stretch from Almond Road to Sherman Ave was pretty difficult.