The Riddler

Your thoughts on Bass spring run

Rate this topic

177 posts in this topic

19 mins ago, mcnar said:

How is it that these numbers can vary so greatly year to year? 

At least this is my understanding:

High year to year spawning variability is characteristic of striped bass, because spawning success is closely linked to environmental conditions and weather around the time of spawn. There must be adequate water flow to keep the eggs suspended for the first cpl days; if not the eggs sink to the bottom and die. So cool wet springs foster better year classes than warm dry springs. 

So big year classes followed by thin ones are the norm. Problems occur when there aren't enough breeders around to take advantage of those optimal springs, and you begin to see a serious decline in overall species population health. 

Or something like that.

There's also been some studies that relate cyclical (over decades) striped bass spawning success to larger and longer term climatic features, like the Atlantic Multidecadenal Oscillation...which impacts weather on the East Coast..as it occurs over decades.

Bottom line is, gotta have those breeders in place for the good weather years. If not, we start to see a long streak of super loser spawns in a row..and the population crashes, like it did in the late 70s/80s

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

What did you get per pound? I like tossing the rubber. Stuff I make. Sometimes it works sometimes it sucks. Sometimes others get fish and I get nothing. And vice versa. Be back out tonight hoping for an easy night. 

Curious what rubbers you make?

1 hour ago, mcnar said:

How is it that these numbers can vary so greatly year to year? 

Rst3 got it...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Well my efficiency continued this morning as my 3rd and final June trip produced one more good fish. Again, these large fish were tough to convince. Lots of follows, swirls, and gulps but only a few hard hits. The hardest strike was a 30lb class fish on the doc. 

But curiously, it had at least a dozen of these parasites that I’ve never seen before. I did the best I could to get a decent pic but… They were a greenish brownish color, about half the size of a penny. A close look revealed little legs. Obviously these are not sea lice, and they were not those parasitic isopods that can be found in the gills or the tongue of a bass or blue (I forget what people call those). They were all over the fishes body, a few on its anal fin, one on the dorsal, a couple on the body and three on the roof of its mouth.

Any body see these things before?

342D5898-D6F0-49F0-B75A-15ABB8BC31C1.jpeg

7B8DC5D5-1689-4A27-BBA1-4A07367E377C.jpeg

Edited by Pescador710

In all fairness to Jessica the old me would have scolded the new me for even the mention of GH. Those who have known me here through the years would agree. 

38 mins ago, Pescador710 said:

Well my efficiency continued this morning as my 3rd and final June trip produced one more good fish. Again, these large fish were tough to convince. Lots of follows, swirls, and gulps but only a few hard hits. The hardest strike was a 30lb class fish on the doc. 

But curiously, it had at least a dozen of these parasites that I’ve never seen before. I did the best I could to get a decent pic but… They were a greenish brownish color, about half the size of a penny. A close look revealed little legs. Obviously these are not sea lice, and they were not those parasitic isopods that can be found in the gills or the tongue of a bass or blue (I forget what people call those). They were all over the fishes body, a few on its anal fin, one on the dorsal, a couple on the body and three on the roof of its mouth.

Any body see these things before?

342D5898-D6F0-49F0-B75A-15ABB8BC31C1.jpeg

7B8DC5D5-1689-4A27-BBA1-4A07367E377C.jpeg

Pictures are blurry but they look like a different lice I have seen before

4 hours ago, rst3 said:

Last 3 spawns have been in the basement terrible. As have 4 of the past 7. 

Screenshot_20220630-182249_Chrome.jpg.cbb7f7adbb6fe5f133012efb8b3e4505.jpg

So it's no surprise the rat and schoolie population is mia this year.

The 2015s are now into the slot, and ripe for the pickin. The 2011s are now 11, and should be ~40 inch class. Perfect comm size. Hundy bucks a breeder

Once those 2011’s and 2015’s are gone it’s going to get ugly out there. Also might be tough to get another big spawn with so few fish left. Take good care of what’s left guys and gals. 

8 mins ago, z-man said:

Once those 2011’s and 2015’s are gone it’s going to get ugly out there. Also might be tough to get another big spawn with so few fish left. Take good care of what’s left guys and gals. 

Z,

It's ugly out there now.

As far as fish: got my pb on a 12in white sluggo on june 17. Got another similar size but no weight or measure. This one came out to 47’ and 40 something pounds (estimated)

09359F2B-2664-476A-93FC-67A93DEEC813.jpeg

5 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Curious what rubbers you make?

Various. 4"-20" 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

You make tails, I make heads :naughty:

Screenshot_20190208-193048_Gallery.jpg

I do that too. 1/2 and 3/4oz with 34185 or 34184 8/0. 

Edited by The Riddler

17 hours ago, Tailslap said:

In all fairness to Jessica the old me would have scolded the new me for even the mention of GH. Those who have known me here through the years would agree. 

Hahaha.