The Riddler

Your thoughts on Bass spring run

Rate this topic

177 posts in this topic

Had two easy nights. The rest has been scrounging for something. A lot of work. Coming up empty has been starting to become more common. 

May was good in the estuaries and rivers for me. More slots than the same time last year.

June was brutal for me, had multiple consecutive skunks across conditions that had given me fish in the past and tried other tide/wind/light conditions in other spots. Those skunks could be correlated with not doing as much tube n worm fishing and using more soft plastics that I am still learning how to use properly but still was tough considering my average kayak trips are 4-5 hours. Last week action started picking up again once we stopped having nights with 50 degree air temps.

As others have said I had a great May bite with larger than expected fish.  The last four weeks have been a grind though.  Some fish to show for it but with the time I put in I expected better results. 

What are you guys expecting? The bass stocks are down and there haven’t been too great of spawns lately. Get used to it it’s only going to get worse from here. 

I dunno. Pretty good so far, it aint over just yet. Don't recall a skunk so far this season, but there might'a been one or two in there. Definitely have had to scratch to make it happen sometimes, like today for example. Trying new stuff in challenging places is NOT a recipe for automatic success.

On the whole I'd say the fish have been  larger than normal, although I did get into some dinks @ Barnstable Harbor a week or two back chucking flies. 

I don't for one second doubt stocks are down, and all those big fish getting slaughtered just recently certainly gives pause for rumination.

Season started off right on pace, but abruptly tapered off at the end of May. June left a lot to be desired. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Similar to some of you, I was able to find lots of success in warmer bays in May, switched to fishing out front mid month and had some stellar nights. Lots of quantity but lacking a bit in quality, but I’m a newbie in a declining fishery so I’m not shocked lol. June has been a grind, especially down on the cape. Just last week I did get into a good bite of upper slots and some a bit over slot, but overall it’s been slow for me since the new moon in may. Going out again tonight because you never know…

Edited by GTs_and_Stripers

Larger fish average this year compared to the last 3 years, but less overall. Also finding they aren't as aggressive. Sometimes I know they are in front of me, but not committing to taking my fly.  I wonder as the stocks dwindle, resulting in less competition, they become more selective. It's a double whammy of dwindling stocks. 

Thanks for the input everyone. We are all just trying to make the best out of what is dealt out. Seems to be the same story among most. 

10 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Had two easy nights. The rest has been scrounging for something. A lot of work. Coming up empty has been starting to become more common. 

Pretty much my experience as well - I've been more or less minimally meeting my goals (for lack of better description)...but not lighting it up. Had one good day numbers wise, and had to work for a few fish on most other outings