Ladyfish

Should Men have to pay?

Rate this topic

344 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Kings over Queens said:

Still waiting for @Ladyfishto tell us what "fair share" equates to in dollars and cents.  

Did not have a number in mind. "Fair share" is not just about money. It's about responsibility. So far the majority of responses (although not all) believe women bear the responsibility for getting pregnant and the commitment for raising the child. Quantifying what this really means is difficult. 

4 mins ago, Ladyfish said:

So far the majority of responses (although not all) believe women bear the responsibility for getting pregnant

Its without question that a woman has 100% control over becomimg pregnant as the result of consentual sexual intercourse. 

5 mins ago, Ladyfish said:

So far the majority of responses (although not all) believe women bear the responsibility for getting pregnant and the commitment for raising the child.

Actually, I think the only one to say that was Dena. Maybe you can point out the rest of those saying the same. 

Hell, I went to court to get more and more custody of my son. Never once cared about how much my child support cost, either. In addition, I spent plenty of money on clothes and other necessities on top of my ordered support payment. 

1 min ago, Kings over Queens said:

Its without question that a woman has 100% control over becomimg pregnant as the result of consentual sexual intercourse. 

Made a liar out of me. :laugh: 

8 hours ago, oax said:

I did. 

The latest data I found says that abortion makes up 3% of PP income. Federal funds do make up a significant part of their total income; but it is primarily used as follows:

42% for treating STIs/STDs; 34% for contraception, 11% other women's services and 9 % for cancer screening. 

The above 3% would be abortions that fit the US Government's criteria (risk to the mother, etc.) or were paid by a state program (not federal), other insurance carriers or paid by the patient. 

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, JimP said:

and phones; and bus chits to get around; and DIC; EBT; etc.  Too lazy to go look it up but the consensus was (at least a few years ago) that the freebies add up to about 45K per year.   

Yes, some politician spouted that a few years ago. Unfortunately, the amount varies by state. Hawaii does provide an amount that is about $45K; but it is predicated on the state's high cost of living. Then there is Alabama where the amount is about $13K. 

Currently approximately 25% of women and more than 30% of all children in the US live in poverty. During the Pandemic these numbers dropped dramatically due to the additional funds provided to low income families with children and increased food services. Unfortunately, these programs are no longer in place. 

If you think these programs are failing the population, consider the ramifications if these programs ceased to exist. Look at the rest of the world for the photo's of hopelessness of starvation, disease and death. 

Edited by Ladyfish

27 mins ago, Kings over Queens said:

Control, not responsibilty.

I know, I just found it funny reading your post right after mine. :laugh: And, while I moslty agree, the man can always chose to wear a condom all on his own. 

11 mins ago, MikeMc said:

:laugh: And, while I moslty agree, the man can always chose to wear a condom all on his own. 

Ah! At last! Someone that recognizes that each person has equal responsibility! 

Just now, Ladyfish said:

Ah! At last! Someone that recognizes that each person has equal responsibility! 

I didn't say that. The woman has way more control than the man whether she gets preganant or not. 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Ladyfish said:

Yes, some politician spouted that a few years ago. Unfortunately, the amount varies by state. Hawaii does provide an amount that is about $45K; but it is predicated on the state's high cost of living. Then there is Alabama where the amount is about $13K. 

Currently approximately 25% of women and more than 30% of all children in the US live in poverty. During the Pandemic these numbers dropped dramatically due to the additional funds provided to low income families with children and increased food services. Unfortunately, these programs are no longer in place. 

If you think these programs are failing the population, consider the ramifications if these programs ceased to exist. Look at the rest of the world for the photo's of hopelessness of starvation, disease and death. 

Let’s hunt down the dead beats and wring them like a soggy wash cloth. 

Edited by JimP

Posted (edited)

And, on that note I am leaving this conversation. Whether we were at odds or in agreement, thank you for your comments.

There has been a lot of old, mis-information and stereotypes in various posts. I have tried to counter with direct experience from friends, family and others to whom I have provided my shoulder to cry upon. The decisions they made did not come easy.

There was one suggestion that was particularly uncomfortable and short-sighted. So, I will end with this cautious reminder. Look at the US States and their histories on reproductive rights. Specifically, the sterilization of primarily black, hispanic and native american women without consent from 1907-1963. While Indiana was the first state, 36 states eventually had forced sterilization laws. Native American were still being sterilized without consent into the late 1970's. And, Hispanic immigrant women were sterilized without consent by ICE as recently as 2021. 

We should do better.

Edited by Ladyfish

On 6/29/2022 at 10:44 PM, Ladyfish said:

Tax dollars have not supported Planned Parenthood for many years.

1 hour ago, Ladyfish said:

Federal funds do make up a significant part of their total income

Wednesday PP isn't supported by tax dollars and today Ladyfish says federal funds make up a significant part of their total income; precisely my sticking point.  Yet she's commenting on mis-information?

56 mins ago, Ladyfish said:

And, on that note I am leaving this conversation. Whether we were at odds or in agreement, thank you for your comments.

Was a pleasure, stop by anytime. :) 

1 hour ago, Ladyfish said:

There has been a lot of old, mis-information and stereotypes in various posts. I have tried to counter with direct experience from friends, family and others to whom I have provided my shoulder to cry upon. The decisions they made did not come easy.

There was one suggestion that was particularly uncomfortable and short-sighted. So, I will end with this cautious reminder. Look at the US States and their histories on reproductive rights. Specifically, the sterilization of primarily black, hispanic and native american women without consent from 1907-1963. While Indiana was the first state, 36 states eventually had forced sterilization laws. Native American were still being sterilized without consent into the late 1970's. And, Hispanic immigrant women were sterilized without consent by ICE as recently as 2021. 

We should do better.

Ladyfish, understood.  There's a LOT of common ground between us.  We can do better.