RP McMurphy

Line Strength after Crack-off?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Casting a conventional, throwing a bit over 5 oz., I let my casting form go to hell and had a crack-off.  Main line is 17lb mono.  

Question:  is the line left on the reel still in good shape?  Tie a new shock leader on and good to go?

Or is the main line left on the reel compromised, and I'd be better swapping it out.  

Other than the snap-off, the mono is relatively new - put on a couple months ago and not used hard.

I would defer to someone with more experience but I have never had an issue re-tying.  Anything on the spool should be good.  Inspect the last few feet and tie on a proper shock leader.  

Did you have a shock leader on when it cracked off?  What type and lb?  Knot type?  It likely broke at or close to the knot.  Where you able to clear the birdsnest?

Posted (edited)

Most likely the mono is good … add your shock leader and recast … when reeling in if you feel any cracks/abrasions then change it or put it on a different reel .ideally a size 30 reel that had a crack off will fill a size 20 reel with the good  line on top of the spool… instead of tying a shock leader an alternative method is to thread your main line thru 20 feet of 50lb hollow core and finish it with a minute film of gorilla glue.this will take some time …now about that crack off lol lol lol … as one s o l member put it … it’s a professional back lash .. lol lol lol… with what looked like an east wind out front today casting any thing looked a little difficult … when casting a conventional , takith only what the wind givith  …always s check the flags …

Edited by Surf bomber

I always just cut off the next 10-15 ft about 1 layer of coils worth.

To further elaborate. Since that 10-15ft +leader is considered a working end.  Rubbing on the bars, rocks, debris, its generally shot after a trip anyways. My shocks get changed each outing.

Starting with a full spool 1mm below lip.

Ill use it and keep cutting back each trip till its about 3mm down (obviously this depends on the reels spool size) Then ill replace with fresh mono.

1 hour ago, RiverShoulders said:

Did you have a shock leader on when it cracked off?  What type and lb?  Knot type?  It likely broke at or close to the knot.  Where you able to clear the birdsnest?

I did have a shock leader - about 25' of Ande 50 lb mono. Pretty sure that I had an albright knot connecting main line to the leader.  I think it broke close to the leader, and the "professional over-run" that was left wasn't too bad - easily picked out.  My plan is pull out ~40 feet of line, feel for abrasions as I reel in, and then (assuming no abrasions) to follow EricL's recommendation and cut off 10-15 ft., and put on a new shock leader, and get back on the horse.

as king of the snap offs until I joined a long cast club I would suggest a 33-35 ft shocker of 50lbs test to your 17lb running line.

In the grand scheme of things mono is cheap.  I always use new line if there is any question of integrity.  Respool, change the spool, or use another reel.  How I do it...

Posted (edited)

13 mins ago, SteveZ said:

In the grand scheme of things mono is cheap.  I always use new line if there is any question of integrity.  Respool, change the spool, or use another reel.  ..........

This

And we are not talking about hundreds of $$

1 lb of Ande premium is about around $70

Edited by Popasilov

tie on a new shock and let her rip.  I used to run Ande back in the day for my shock, lost a lot of fish to my shock breaking.  Switching over to 50lb clear berkley big game and I've had minimal issues.  

4 hours ago, SteveZ said:

I always use new line if there is any question of integrity. 

I was wrong.  Above I said that the birdsnest would be easily picked out because didn't look nearly as bad as others I've had.  I fussed with it with a dental pick from ~30 minutes this morning, and couldn't even find the end of the line - must've been buried.  So cut the line out, and put fresh 17lb Tritanium on.  

Now I just have to remember my casting form - when I get greedy - I eff up.  Thanks all for the input.

3 hours ago, RP McMurphy said:

I was wrong.  Above I said that the birdsnest would be easily picked out because didn't look nearly as bad as others I've had.  I fussed with it with a dental pick from ~30 minutes this morning, and couldn't even find the end of the line - must've been buried.  So cut the line out, and put fresh 17lb Tritanium on.  

Now I just have to remember my casting form - when I get greedy - I eff up.  Thanks all for the input.

What reel were you using?

9 mins ago, animalbarrie said:

What reel were you using?

525 Mag.  I have a pond/swamp out behind my house.  Most days after work I go out and throw 3-6 oz. lead with no hooks just to work on form, and see what distance I can get.  Then reel it in through the lily pads.  Kind of a combo exercise/solitude/practice.  

34 mins ago, RP McMurphy said:

525 Mag.  I have a pond/swamp out behind my house.  Most days after work I go out and throw 3-6 oz. lead with no hooks just to work on form, and see what distance I can get.  Then reel it in through the lily pads.  Kind of a combo exercise/solitude/practice.  

I do that all the time.  I like hitting football fields so I can get a good measurement.  It's amazing what the long casters can do - I think I've smoked one when I hit 140 yards and some guys are throwing over two football fields!