CtJim

Shimano Baitrunner

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Looking for suggestions on what size Baitrunner  to pair with a 12 ft rod. Going to be targeting sharks from the surf at OBX this August. Thanks 

1 hour ago, CtJim said:

Looking for suggestions on what size Baitrunner  to pair with a 12 ft rod. Going to be targeting sharks from the surf at OBX this August. Thanks 

I would believe the 12000 size.

I used to use the 8000 size on my 10' rod.

12 mins ago, justafisher said:

Any reason for the baitrunner ?

Just want to kick back and relax and dunk some bait for sharks

59 mins ago, Evil-Bay said:

I would believe the 12000 size.

I used to use the 8000 size on my 10' rod.

I was thinking the 12000 was the best choice

Posted (edited) · Report post

The spinfisher 12000 is fine.  If I had a choice I would go Slammer but for just casual it should not matter.  I was catching up to a 4'ish hammerhead (did not measure) on my 6k Certate SW and it was OK.  But if I got into a larger bull I think I would want that big Slammer (if penn)or a conventional.  I would love to land a fully mature tiger shark one day.

Blacktip I landed was fun.  Go fight and a few jumps.

Edited by RiverShoulders

12 hours ago, CtJim said:

Just want to kick back and relax and dunk some bait for sharks

The 1200 would be fine . The baitrunner likely won’t be helpful as the setting is generally too light to hold in surf conditions.

The Thunnus is the farthest casting bait runner I’ve ever thrown. If the sharks are small, 2-4’ a 6000 could do, for bigger sharks get the same 12000.

My Baitrunner 4500 does the trick for typical small shark composite species and rays.

The down side is the baitrunner is not always loud enough. If you are bikinis watching, having some suds and dosing off, get a bell.

18 hours ago, CtJim said:

Just want to kick back and relax and dunk 

1600f Thunnus is a beast of a reel . I started sharking with a Shimano baitrunner 6500b . Handled shark to 7 feet easily .

I'd go with the 8000 unless you're using braid heavier than 50#.  That 12000 is enormous - 30oz compared to 22oz for the 8000.  

On 6/30/2022 at 11:20 AM, EBHarvey said:

I'd go with the 8000 unless you're using braid heavier than 50#.  That 12000 is enormous - 30oz compared to 22oz for the 8000.  

Weight is not an issue. It’s going to be “set it and forget it” rod. Don’t plan on much casting. You think the 8000 is big enough for a 12 ft?