jjdbike

Fuel for Kettle: lump, briquettes, flavored?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I’m committed to purchasing a Weber Kettle. In my former BGE, I only ever used real lump. In the WSM I used the recommended Kingsford Blue. 
What do you all like in your Weber Kettles? 
Does anyone have a reason you prefer real lump in your kettles? I think they burn hotter and cleaner, from what I’ve heard.

Do you prefer briquettes & why?

If you prefer Briquettes, does anyone like the wood flavored ones, e.g., cherry or hickory? How do those flavored briquettes compare w/ using chunks?

JD

Perhaps this topic has been over discussed here.

I'll do a search.

I did a google search and didn't find much about the wood flavored Kingsford, e.g. cherry & hickory. 

I believe the tells me there's not much to it.

Thanks folks.

JD

If using charcoal I prefer lump.  Even though all remnants of processed briquettes are probably burnt off why use flavored fuel? To be honest and to contradict myself I do use unflavored briquettes in my smoker.   When it comes down to it I prefer using real wood, oak, cherry, apple

I used to buy briquettes because home depot had a killer sale once or twice a year but that sale seems to have been killed by covid so I switched to lump.  I don't think I'll ever go back to briquettes for the kamado or the kettle.  I buy chunks separately so I can control the addition of smoke as wanted and have never tried flavored charcoal.

Nothing but lump.  I've been getting the royal oak at restaurant depot for 15 bucks a large bag.  

I don't like the acidic residue of briquets, am sure that is what rusted out my first performer.  Just my experience.