Cbsurfcaster50

ODM evolution

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

Hi all new to the group , I’ll keep this as short as possible I currently fish GSB surf rods I’ve been surf fishing for around 30 years and been through many rods and found the GSB is the best as far as plugging , eeling , and even bucktails, for whatever reason I’ve been intrigued about ODM rods and the only one for me would be the evolution because it’s one piece moderate action so looking for feedback/reviews on the evolution pros/cons Tia 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a 9' and 10 foot and absolutely LOVE them.  I was using GSB one piece of the same size and the action to me on the ODM exceeded my expectation with a much better response than the GSB and the Evolution is like a feather when comparing the two. I paired mine with VR75's to keep everything as light as possible and they for me have been a joy.   I no longer feel beat up after a fishing trip and that's largely due to the weight reduction without having sacrificed a single thing about how I fish or what I fish with or where.  Nothing about that has changed.  

Edited by pressphotog

1 hour ago, Cbsurfcaster50 said:

Hi all new to the group , I’ll keep this as short as possible I currently fish GSB surf rods I’ve been surf fishing for around 30 years and been through many rods and found the GSB is the best as far as plugging , eeling , and even bucktails, for whatever reason I’ve been intrigued about ODM rods and the only one for me would be the evolution because it’s one piece moderate action so looking for feedback/reviews on the evolution pros/cons Tia 

GSB is a meat stick compared to the Evolution. I never have used eels but when it comes to plugging and bucktails I couldn’t imagine a “better” rod then the Evo.

it’s super light for how powerful it is. I caught a nice bass in some good current with the 9’ and we couldn’t believe how well it handled it. The 11’ is also an amazingly sensitive powerful rod.

if price isn’t an issue, forget the lamis. Just an outdated kinda thing at this point. They feel like a broom stick in the hand compared to the ODMs.  Just my opinion

The Evo is a nice expensive stick. Might be a winter project for 2023.
For me I rather stick to what I know works.

Made in the USA, Lamiglas.

With a proper modern build the Lami will only be a couple of ounces heavier than the ODM. My last GSB 1201L weighs 12 oz. 
Anyone have the weight on the ODM 10’ for comparison since ODM doesn’t list the weight? 

Edited by LowEnd

3 hours ago, pressphotog said:

I have a 9' and 10 foot and absolutely LOVE them.  I was using GSB one piece of the same size and the action to me on the ODM exceeded my expectation with a much better response than the GSB and the Evolution is like a feather when comparing the two. I paired mine with VR75's to keep everything as light as possible and they for me have been a joy.   I no longer feel beat up after a fishing trip and that's largely due to the weight reduction without having sacrificed a single thing about how I fish or what I fish with or where.  Nothing about that has changed.  

Wow those rods are that light that you can run a VR75? Could they take a Vsx 150 or 200 or would they be too heavy ? Nothing against the VR but after I destroyed one in 3 months I moved up to the X series plus I need the drag for pulling out of rocks 

3 hours ago, CLFish5 said:

GSB is a meat stick compared to the Evolution. I never have used eels but when it comes to plugging and bucktails I couldn’t imagine a “better” rod then the Evo.

it’s super light for how powerful it is. I caught a nice bass in some good current with the 9’ and we couldn’t believe how well it handled it. The 11’ is also an amazingly sensitive powerful rod.

if price isn’t an issue, forget the lamis. Just an outdated kinda thing at this point. They feel like a broom stick in the hand compared to the ODMs.  Just my opinion

3 hours ago, CLFish5 said:

Do you ever fish boulder fields ? Couple of my favorite spots are pretty extreme, heavy current and big boulders really need to horse the fish out of them that’s probably my biggest concern about the evo or any rod , my 1201L is pretty beat up but still strong as hell 

58 mins ago, Cbsurfcaster50 said:

Do you ever fish boulder fields ? Couple of my favorite spots are pretty extreme, heavy current and big boulders really need to horse the fish out of them that’s probably my biggest concern about the evo or any rod , my 1201L is pretty beat up but still strong as hell 

I don’t fish too many Boulder fields but do fish around structure. With the proper reel and drag setting I think the evo will turn any fish. 

1 hour ago, Cbsurfcaster50 said:

Wow those rods are that light that you can run a VR75? Could they take a Vsx 150 or 200 or would they be too heavy ? Nothing against the VR but after I destroyed one in 3 months I moved up to the X series plus I need the drag for pulling out of rocks 

I use a 150 on my 9’ and a 200 on my 10’. Perfect IMO. 

3 hours ago, Cbsurfcaster50 said:

For how and where I fish the VSX was overkill in terms of line capacity (never ever needed 400 + yards in NJ)  and I wanted a bail and that was the other deciding factor. I also didn't want anything heavy either and so I ended up in the VR territory and have no regrets what so ever. 

Now... Not having owned a VSX or tried one on the rod I cannot tell you about a 150 or 200 with any confidence but those sizes were regularly recommended. Take that for what it is worth.  

Edited by pressphotog

On 6/27/2022 at 6:33 PM, Cbsurfcaster50 said:

If you really have to heave fish out of heavy current with lots of rocks, I don’t think a feather light rod is the type you want. Apparently there are issues with odm blanks breaking applying too much pressure, I’ve seen a couple posts on fb and here about it. I fish jetties with heavy current and I am fishing a 10’ fsc titan I built. It is a heavier rod than most but that type of rod is probably what you need. I’m not catching schoolies or slots either, I really need to force fish up with lots of pressure and turn them immediately and it sounds like you need to do the same thing   

Edited by linesiderdemdnj

On 6/27/2022 at 1:59 PM, Cbsurfcaster50 said:

I blew mine up, and a friend blew his up on the same night, and another friend blew theirs up.  Nice rod, but in my opinion, good for a beach rod, no rocks or structure or falling, the blank isn't very forgiving

23 mins ago, Goldy said:

I blew mine up, and a friend blew his up on the same night, and another friend blew theirs up.  Nice rod, but in my opinion, good for a beach rod, no rocks or structure or falling, the blank isn't very forgiving

:dismay:

Edited by Lou T

21 mins ago, Lou T said:

:dismay:

Eh i call it like it was for my experience.   I guess that can count good for the boat ramp. :bigeyes:

12 mins ago, Goldy said:

Eh i call it like it was for my experience.   I guess that can count good for the boat ramp. :bigeyes:

No, not saying that at all.

It sucks what he did to the Evolution. I tested the original that was tested for two years by the entire team. That was a great rod. After everyone approved it. After it was tested from the beach, to the bolder field by the wet suit surf caster, to the rocky shore of the cape and approved by everyone; it was canceled. I had one of the original rods, the prototype from the first batch that was all scratched, nicked and beat up. I fished that rod hard and it handled everything well. I use to use cast 7 ounce trollers with it and put them out there. Landed fish off the docks, the sod banks, and from the beach with it.

Then what they did was, went and changed it, and come out with a lighter, thinner diameter blank that was tested and released in not even a years time. I was not involved testing the second prototype. By the time I was handed the rod, I was told that a custom rod builder said it was almost as good and they released that blank for production.