MikeBlue

School Me On Sebile Stick Shads

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

I was reading a thread from a couple of months ago on the Sebile Stick Shad. I had one stored away, a 155 SK. I got it out and fished it a bit but it doesn't really seem to have much action, it just sways back and forth a little on the retrieve. So I am curious, what is it about this lure that makes it so special? How do you fish it?

I've not had a lot of great luck with them.  Lots of guys liked em for the canal because I think of that light wavering motion is exagerated in  current but doesn't cause a lot of drag.

My favorite way to fish them is using an FSK and essentially jigging it in the canal.    Hits usually came on the drop.

Throw it out into a rip. Retrieve it quickly,  maybe add a twitch now and then. Hang on!

At least when there used to be fish.

6 hours ago, MikeBlue said:

I was reading a thread from a couple of months ago on the Sebile Stick Shad. I had one stored away, a 155 SK. I got it out and fished it a bit but it doesn't really seem to have much action, it just sways back and forth a little on the retrieve. So I am curious, what is it about this lure that makes it so special? How do you fish it?

Never liked /Needed them

I have a full planno of them put away 

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, MikeBlue said:

You could really right a substantial article on just the stick shadd. Here’s my take in brief:

I think what makes them so special is the subtle “wobble” it has. It’s hard to describe in words… you can see it for a second or two when the plug pauses… it’s like what an Italian guy’s hand does when he says “mezza mezz”… 

Anyway, my favorite is the 155 suspending, which I don’t think they make any more. I fish it with medium to medium fast erattic twitches with pauses every 5 or so twitches. Or sometimes the sweep method gets them biting (watch the aussies fish for gt if you don’t know the sweep). Either way the suspending version seems to “wobble” the best on the pause. It’ll stop traveling, just hang there and wobble for a beat or two.

Imagine a bass tracking a quickly darting bait, trying to catch up to the zigging and zagging, then the bait stops. The fish’s momentum carries it into the bait. Now there’s this stupid wobbling pogy looking thing in its face… I feel like its going to bite it.

The other versions are good too though. The walk the dog (just sub surface) with the big floaters can create some big violent strikes.

sinkers and fast sinkers have their place. They do cast furthest. I use them like the suspending but don’t pause for quite as long.

loading one up and dropping it down when the current allows, has put some big fish on the rocks.

These all work well outside the canal too.

Edited by Pescador710

The faster you reel it, the tighter the wobble. If you give it a hard yank you'll feel it vibrating. I like the floaters in heavy current as they will dig in a bit but the sinkers basically have the same action. Do a steady retrieve with an occasional pause and a hard yank. They often hit just after the pause as I'm yanking on the rod which is convenient for the hookset!

Also, I canal rig all of mine with either nothing on the tail for the floaters and a tail on the sinkers. 

The stick shad resembles the Jack Frech Banana plug which I have found over the past several years to be a very productive plug. That being said it took me a bout a year to figure out how to effectively use it so just keep using it till the fish let you know you figured it out. 

One of my favorite lures.   If the stick shad was around 35 years ago, I doubt I would have chased herring as much as I did.

There is a way to fish these that's something to see. I watched Tailslap one morning give a "clinic" on how to use it Patrick Sebile would have been impressed. We were all throwing it but he absolutely killed them compared to the rest of us. A fish every cast!

59 mins ago, Steel Pulse said:

The stick shad resembles the Jack Frech Banana plug which I have found over the past several years to be a very productive plug. That being said it took me a bout a year to figure out how to effectively use it so just keep using it till the fish let you know you figured it out. 

I remember Frech's "Banana" plug-building piece in The Fisherman. That was a long time ago. Who is selling it nowadays?

6 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I remember Frech's "Banana" plug-building piece in The Fisherman. That was a long time ago. Who is selling it nowadays?

Yes the plans were there although the hook placement was wrong. Purposely or by accident who knows. Nobody I know builds them other than my buddy and maybe one or two other guys. Very time consuming. I learned to build my own. 

4E68C556-69F7-4AA9-A586-ECBADA1AE9C5.jpeg

Edited by Steel Pulse

I did some research on the Frech banana plug, does anyone know if it floats or is it a sinker? And how do they cast, from the dimensions posted they look like they would flutter.

Edited by MikeBlue

Float level just on the surface , cast ok for the shape. A little bit of flutter but about 4 oz so it casts decent.  Not an issue that would deter me from using  them that’s for sure.