Midnightpass

Old Car Smell

18 posts in this topic

The post in the main forum, about deodorizing a car made me think of this... I have and 1986 stock Suzuki Samurai, that I use as a TOAD for my motorhome, to drive in the desert, around town and to my surf fishing spots.. It has that "old car smell"... Not overpowering or too objectionable, but I would like to get rid of it... I'm not looking to cover it up, but just get a clean smell in the car.... Maybe some the ideas from that post will work here?.... I'm sure some you old car owners know what I'm talking about...Maybe just old fabrics in the car?... Any way, I'd appreciate any help you can give...

Butch

I saw the same post and it inspired me to buy an ozone machine/generator.  Turns out they are illegal in CA, but the one I ordered from the auction site (~$55) should arrive next week :) 

I'll let you know how it works on my son's car.

10 mins ago, Mike Mendez said:

I saw the same post and it inspired me to buy an ozone machine/generator.  Turns out they are illegal in CA, but the one I ordered from the auction site (~$55) should arrive next week :) 

Thanks Mike...

Butch

Definitely the ozone generator. I bought one for destinking rental properties. Works great at getting wet dog smell out of my expedition.

Shower more often?  LOL, I use Final Finish spray, cleans everything and car/truck smells new for a week, and it makes you clean at a few times, Things to watch for in ridding old smells is wet/ damp carpet padding

On 6/27/2022 at 10:50 AM, Mike Mendez said:

Illegal in CA, that's interesting. I wonder why?

I wonder if it has to do w/ everything apparently causing cancer in CA?

JD

Jim... Taken from this article.. https://molekule.science/ozone-generators/

"California Air Resources Board (CARB) has very strict regulation for air purifiers sold in California to make sure that harmful ozone levels are not being produced"

"You may have heard of the Clean Air Act. Under this federal law, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) sets standards for outdoor air quality to protect public health. There are six air pollutants that the agency has set standards for, and ozone is one of them."

I don't know if this is fact, Just quoting the article...

Butch

I know it’s not always possible,

but on warm clear days I like to open all the windows & sun roof and air it out w/ the sun shining on it.

Seems to help keep the fishing’  buggy a little fresher.

JD

On 6/27/2022 at 10:50 AM, Mike Mendez said:

How did the ozone machine work?

10 hours ago, Sam3631 said:

How did the ozone machine work?

It worked really well.  No more smoke smell in the car and no more rat smell in my garage :)

On 6/27/2022 at 11:47 PM, Jetty Jumper said:

You could try these.

Ozium Smoke & Odors Eliminator Gel. Home, Office and Car Air Freshener 4.5oz (127g), Original Scent

I bought the Ozium odor eliminator about 6 weeks ago or so. It seems to be working fairly well. Or, the extended hot streak in MA dried out anything that was still wet & smelly in my car.