malicata68

Which is it?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Looks like a smooth dog., which is the dominant small shark in the western Sound.  I've seen some big sandbars there, many years ago.  But I fished the western Sound for 25 years before moving to the South Shore, and still spend some time up there, and never caught a spiny dogfish there.

the last few times ive been out, have been nothing but giant dogfish. cant fish bait because of them. I never knew we had so many here.

14 mins ago, magikbbg said:

the last few times ive been out, have been nothing but giant dogfish. cant fish bait because of them. I never knew we had so many here.

Usually it's the sea robins and blues.  Never encountered a dog fish before.  On a light 7 ft pole it put up quite a fight.  It just seamed to take line whenever it wanted even though my drag was tight.  Kinda comical.

4 mins ago, malicata68 said:

Usually it's the sea robins and blues.  Never encountered a dog fish before.  On a light 7 ft pole it put up quite a fight.  It just seamed to take line whenever it wanted even though my drag was tight.  Kinda comical.

I broke my lamiglas recently pulling one in , it's a fun fight just kind of tiring. 

14 mins ago, magikbbg said:

I broke my lamiglas recently pulling one in , it's a fun fight just kind of tiring. 

LOL  I agree fun fight I was waiting for my old pole to snap but she held..  Tight lines & be safe.

10 mins ago, malicata68 said:

LOL  I agree fun fight I was waiting for my old pole to snap but she held..  Tight lines & be safe.

The damage 

77242D3A-6BDF-4CB0-9CC8-00A03F17FA19.jpeg

48 mins ago, magikbbg said:

I stopped fishing bait because of this. Seems like I can't keep those little balloon knots off the hook. Last time I tried, I caught maybe 20 dogfish in a half hour. I think I'm good. I pulled in a giant one once, probably around 4 ft long. I only fish from shore and I didn't realize they get that big. 

When I was a kid, we used to target them during late summer, when nothing else was around. Four footers weren't rare, and we had some that went close to five.

That was in western Long Island Sound, off the SW corner of Connecticut, in the summer of '68.  Back then, there were some big sandbars around, too, although we never caught one.  Given that we were fishing from a 10 1/2-foot skiff, that was probably a good thing.